SASS Wire Forum

People Under Indictment Can't Be Prevented From Buying Guns

Subdeacon Joe

Canadian here with a question:

What happens with a convicted felon's firearms?

Not trying to start an argument, just wondering how you folks handle that kind of thing. 

3 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Canadian here with a question:

What happens with a convicted felon's firearms?

Not trying to start an argument, just wondering how you folks handle that kind of thing. 

Good question. I’m not a lawyer and I never played one on TV but I assume they confiscate them. 

A friend of mine was convicted of a felony. He gave his guns to his mother.

A man came into the gun shop one day with a Thompson. It belonged to his father. His father had just been convicted, and the boy took it down and sold it.

I don't know what the cops do if you don't have family to take possession. But if you do have family, then it's no longer Joe thug's gun is Joe thug's Mama's gun, or Joe thug's brother's gun, or maybe even Joe thug's girlfriend's gun.

Used to be that  they were stored until appeals ran out and then sold at open auction.

I got a Browning Sweet Sixteen that way in 1971.  There were only three bidders and the other two didn't want it $225.00 worth.  Another of those guns I wish I'd kept but I wasn't (still not) much interested in 16 gauge guns at that time.

I sold it less than a year later for about $265.00 IIRC.

Until 1968 once you got out you could own and carry.

Then one fine day congress critters decided a felon had no right to 'shall not be infringed'

If he is not rehabilitated why is he released? If he is rehabilitated why wouldt he be allowed to defend his own?

It seems to me that if the Supreme Court has decided that for a anti-gun law to be in effect - to be a constitutional law - there has to be a historical proof of this law being in use. So if the Supreme Court has decided this, that means GCA68 is unconstitutional. Because they just made up crap. You went to jail, did your time and got out but you can't ever have a gun. You have to be 21 to buy a pistol. You have to be 18 to buy a rifle. You can't buy a pistol out of your state of residence. None of that stuff is historical.

Should eliminate the NFA also. It’s going to take years for all of it to drag out in the courts . But at least it’s going the right way. When I was a kid I never thought the concealed carry movement would have went as well as it has. I got my first cc license in CA of all states , then I moved to Wi where you couldn’t get one unless you were somebody. By the time I moved back to Mi it was shall issue. Thanks Florida for standing up and starting it. 

40 minutes ago, Texas Joker said:

Can't be in common use if it's banned by decree, so without nfa and the manufacturing bans I bet happy switches would be more common

Honestly why would you make most guns without one. If you don’t want to use it you just don’t move the selector switch. The only reason I can come up with is hunting regs. 

19 hours ago, Texas Joker said:

If he is not rehabilitated why is he released? If he is rehabilitated why wouldt he be allowed to defend his own?

If you've served the term of a sentence, you are entitled to be released. "Rehabilitation" has nothing to do with it. I don't think we need a system where you've served your sentence but beauracrats get to pronounce upon your rehabilitation. 

Many criminals are lawfully out of prison, which doesn't mean they aren't criminals still.

You are either a danger to society and get locked up or you're not.

The point being before '68 when you got out if your ride handed you a .38 from the glove box it wasn't illegal.

Now if you get home and ANY member of the household has a firearm you can get sent up the river again.

Archived