SASS Wire Forum

Recoil

She's a doll...and clearly nobody has pumped a bunch of silliness inside her head about recoil.  I know how damaging that can be: my Dad was extremely recoil conscious and he raised a recoil-shy son. It took me YEARS to shake that nonsense and I'm still not completely shed of it.  While I can shoot cloverleafs off the bench with my .416 Rigby, I never got to where I could do really good work with the .470 Nitro (and forget about anything bigger).

That .458 she's shooting appears to have a pretty heavy taper barrel, which helps by supplying some additional "road hugging weight". Interesting...I don't know of anyone who has pursued any of the "nasties" more than once that would choose a detachable box magazine on a dangerous game rifle (I certainly wouldn't). To each his (or her) own, though.

Proud of her!   

I have a similar setup that I bought off the Wire a long time ago. It is a converted Belgium Mauser, non-detachable 3-round magazine, with a Douglass barrel. The guy that built it wanted a bolt action in 45-70, but was not able to get a barrel for it. Instead he installed a .458 Win. barrel and downloaded to 45-70 specs. Used it to hunt deer. Understand he never needed a 2nd shot. I bought the gun with a scope, 100 new brass cases, Lee dies and a bunch of bullets as a package deal. Shot it for jollies loaded down to 1400 fps with 405 gr. bullets. IMR makes a powder that is designed for this load. Bought one box of new big game loads, but never had the guts to try them. BTW - these loads now retail for about $150 for 20 rounds.

I did most of my hunting with a .35 Remington or a .30-'06 and I never needed a second shot either.  Only time I did was the one year I used a .30-30 on a mule deer  buck and didn't have the sights quite right.  Hit him too low.  Second shot took him down.

Proud to say my wife can handle the recoil of my Dirty Harry rifle (yes, Detective Callahan did indeed use a 458 Win Mag Winchester 70 Super Grade African in the first movie). She doesn't enjoy it, but she'll put the bullet on target every time. 

Archived