SASS Wire Forum

Guns and travel

Dirty Dan Dawkins

Heading to Maine Friday with two 12 ga shotguns (hunting pumps 26” barrels) and a bolt action 30-06 and a bolt action 270. Also considered carrying my Glock 48 CCW.

We will probably stop in on a campground in Pa. for one night.

All interstate highway travel except fuel, the one night camping and Maine (only) state highways.

Any convoluted gun laws to consider? My firearms will be in bed of truck (in camper shell) and/or behind seat. 

How about my CCW? It’s a 10 rnd 9mm. Only bothersome states to me seem to be New York Connecticut Massachusetts 

Always, ALWAYS check the laws of any State that you are visiting or must travel through. If you trust unsolicited internet advice, you could end up in jail. I've posted the below as a general idea of the gun laws in each State. Keep in mind that individual counties in some States have their own laws...kind of like "dry county" laws, but with bigger consequences. Don't trust your freedom, and a hell of lot of money defending yourself, to advice here or anywhere on the internet.

https://www.fox13news.com/news/gun-control-laws-in-the-united-states-2022-map

2 hours ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

Heading to Maine Friday with two 12 ga shotguns (hunting pumps 26” barrels) and a bolt action 30-06 and a bolt action 270. Also considered carrying my Glock 48 CCW.

We will probably stop in on a campground in Pa. for one night.

All interstate highway travel except fuel, the one night camping and Maine (only) state highways.

Any convoluted gun laws to consider? My firearms will be in bed of truck (in camper shell) and/or behind seat. 

How about my CCW? It’s a 10 rnd 9mm. Only bothersome states to me seem to be New York Connecticut Massachusetts 

I've drive from CT to Roanoke, VA a number of times.

A suggestion, your GPS will probably want to take you through NJ, however the general congestion in NJ and the back up at the Tappan Zee bridge (I refuse to call it the Mario Cuomo bridge) usually results in heavy traffic and delays.  An alternative is to take I-81 north to I-84 east (Scranton).  Lots of truck traffic though. While there will be some construction, backups aren't bad and there isn't a lot of traffic until you hit CT (Danbury & Waterbury), which brings me to me second suggestion, which is to take I-691 east/north to I-91 north.  This lets you bypass Hartford.

As to police along the way, don't drive like maniac or any other way that would draw attention and  the fewer stickers, decals and other such items the better.  It would be best if ALL the firearms were in locked hard cases and the ammo locked up as well and in the camper itself.

I’m avoiding 95 altogether 

heading up through Carolinas and the Virginias into PA. Avoiding NYC altogether.From there. it’s cutting back into CT, through Mass. New Hampshire and into Maine

or I can go from Scranton to Albany NY through VT and New Hampshire into Maine 

Go directly to the government website of any state you are traveling through. Do not depend on various websites to have the most current laws and regulations. Even people who live in the state can have bad information. I have seen bogus info passed on at shoots by folks who were unaware of the  frequently changing gun laws. Foreign visitors are amazed that we have 50 sets of laws.

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Go directly to the government website of any state you are traveling through. Do not depend on various websites to have the most current laws and regulations. Even people who live in the state can have bad information. I have seen bogus info passed on at shoots by folks who were unaware of the  frequently changing gun laws. Foreign visitors are amazed that we have 50 sets of laws.

Lot of good advice here. I want to enjoy this trip. I think I will leave the handgun at home, put the long arms in individual locked cases with all bicycle cable locked together and that cable redundantly cable locked to the bed tie downs with ammo in locked ammo cans inside of a locked bear proof cooler inside of my locked camper shell. Oh yeah, I may as well remove the bolts from the rifles and put those in their own individual locked containers inside of yet another locked bear proof container.

You can’t be too safe when it comes to “gun violence .”

Archery hunting has a new found appeal, but my sons bow is only set at 35 lbs and he has not shot in a year. I’m good to 50 yards. 60-65 with practice. But I really want him to have this chance to shoot his moose.

I think I’ll run the gauntlet around NYC, through CT and Massachusetts. That two lane from Albany NY to Bennington Vt onthrough NH into Maine I’ll pass on. That route adds 3 or so hours.

My bro/sis in law live in Wyndham, CT. They only come to Georgia via 84 . The nephew just road down straight through on his Yamaha two weeks ago in all that rain.

I always thought this shouldn't even be a worry between safe travel laws and the assumption that my ccw should be honored by all other states.

I know.   I know but still 

20 hours ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

Archery hunting has a new found appeal, but my sons bow is only set at 35 lbs and he has not shot in a year. I’m good to 50 yards. 60-65 with practice. But I really want him to have this chance to shoot his moose.

I think I’ll run the gauntlet around NYC, through CT and Massachusetts. That two lane from Albany NY to Bennington Vt onthrough NH into Maine I’ll pass on. That route adds 3 or so hours.

My bro/sis in law live in Wyndham, CT. They only come to Georgia via 84 . The nephew just road down straight through on his Yamaha two weeks ago in all that rain.

We moved here from Windham, Ct. Lived there for 23 years!

Archived