SASS Wire Forum

You ever get political donation requests

Alpo

From people in other states?

The last election I got a dozen or so texts from various people running for office in Idaho. I ignored the first few, but finally I responded.

Something along the lines of:

Is everyone up there completely retarded? Can you not look at the 850 area code - and you had to see it was an 850 area code because you sent me a text - and realize that I am not in Idaho, cannot vote for people in Idaho, and really don't care a flying "fig":blush: for an election in Idaho. Will you please quit sending me these stupid things.

One lady responded that they would take my name off the list, but told me that that only meant that they would no longer send me texts. Others quite probably would.

This morning I got an email from someone named Dr Oz. Wants me to support him. Send him money. He is running for the Senate. In Pennsylvania.

Dad gave the McCain campaign $100.  They deluged him with more requests for money.  They spent more than his $100 on postage.  He was furious.   He's been gone 10 years and we're still getting his solicitation for more money.  We label them "deceased" and put back in mailbox.  It does no good. 

I was a registered Republican (I am an Independent now) and I get crap, mostly email,  from Trump and lots of Republicans in other states. I DO NOT  donate to any candidate out of state and usually only to local candidates. Once they get your name on a list, your done for.

Occasionally I get calls for money and they already have my full name and address.  In those cases I always tell them to please send a pre-paid envelope and I'll send a "generous" donation.  The various campaigns used to send me pre-paid envelopes which I would tape to rocks and mail back.  Haven't gotten a pre-paid envelope in quite a while...  

For general scam calls I usually just hang up. 

It is possible to filter incoming mail and allow only those on your contact list (white list).
However, you will miss emails from doctors, hospitals, et al, that are valid but not part of your contact list.

It is further possible to use a proxy machine between you and your mail provider.
The proxy can filter for keywords, URLs, and white lists.
However, this is far and away beyond the casual home user.

One caveat:  NEVER enable the "preview pane" in your email client.
This automatically opens the email and displays it in the preview pane.
Those senders who attached a hidden "return receipt requested" are then alerted you have opened their spam.
Those using web mail such as Yahoo, can hover the mouse over the inbox line item and see the sender's URL.
Discard these without opening, for the above reason.

My nephew ran for some office in Utah some time back.  He got the Republican part'y support and lost by a large margin in a right wing district....to a cute little liberal college girl.

He wasn't getting any donations from anyone back home and sent me a letter asking for money.

I wrote and pointed out that I wasn't a resident of his state and hadn't been for over 30 years, didn't have any property or any interest in the state,  know anything about the situation in Utah, and he hadn't been in touch with me for almost that long.

After he lost I asked my sister what happened.  She blamed everyone except her kid, who just isn't public office material.

I make the same reply to every request for funds.

Something to the effect that I'm so poor I can't afford to pay attention, let alone give them money, but I am accepting donations, would they care to relieve my state of poverty, as they obviously have my contact information?

So far it hasn't worked.

Originally serving in government was a duty that took you away from your normal life pursuits and generally cost the serving individual money,  Now it is a lucrative career with special perks and benefits.  Most of those who want to serve in government now are largely doing so in their own self interest.  I get zero solicitations on line and few on the phone.  The phone company labels most of them Probable Spam and I take them at their word. There are a few in snail mail every week.

I opened a WY phone number in a different carrier for business purposes and it’s the ONLY line I get multiple texts daily from requesting money for various folks. Regarding political donations, never gave, never will. “Don’t feed the animals” as they say; it only encourages them. 

On 9/20/2022 at 12:35 PM, Rip Snorter said:

Originally serving in government was a duty that took you away from your normal life pursuits and generally cost the serving individual money,  Now it is a lucrative career with special perks and benefits.  Most of those who want to serve in government now are largely doing so in their own self interest.  

My wife was elected five times to the local school board, the second biggest in the State, and served 30 years, without any pay. She did get per-diems for meetings and such, which could add up to 2 or 3 grand per year. She devoted uncounted hours and years to the work without recompense.

I ran twice for countywide office and, mercifully, lost twice, but I admit I take pride at having thrown my hat into the ring in my time and generation, and campaigned hard around a big county.

The cynicism about public office, especially local office, and the withdrawl  of middle-class people from the political process, is doing untold damage to this country. It also has emptied out the 'pipeline' to  higher office of good people.

A generation ago, local board and council positions were held by the lawyer, the insurance agent, the real estate agent, the car dealership owner, etc; i.e. solid responsible citizens. Now it's all people from the public and non-profit worlds. The rest of us have checked out. So we're getting what we deserve.

3 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

My wife was elected five times to the local school board, the second biggest in the State, and served 30 years, without any pay. She did get per-diems for meetings and such, which could add up to 2 or 3 grand per year. She devoted uncounted hours and years to the work without recompense.

I ran twice for countywide office and, mercifully, lost twice, but I admit I take pride at having thrown my hat into the ring in my time and generation, and campaigned hard around a big county.

The cynicism about public office, especially local office, and the withdrawl  of middle-class people from the political process, is doing untold damage to this country. It also has emptied out the 'pipeline' to  higher office of good people.

A generation ago, local board and council positions were held by the lawyer, the insurance agent, the real estate agent, the car dealership owner, etc; i.e. solid responsible citizens. Now it's all people from the public and non-profit worlds. The rest of us have checked out. So we're getting what we deserve.

The only problem in re: your last paragraph, is that the movers and shakers of the day were peers and cronies, members of a small group in little towns and rural areas.  Mostly, it worked well, but there was nearly always some minor back scratching.  Nothing on the scale of what we see today, so I suppose All Good.  I would no more run for political office than have myself smeared with honey and staked down over an anthill.  Good on you & Wife.

Unfortunately the closer we get to what is likely the most important election in our country's history, the more texts show up on my phone. I don't open them I just use the "Report Spammer" function and delete them. I think that of the hundreds of texts I've received in the last 4-5 months, maybe 1%-2% are from candidates in my state!!:angry:

The Republicans took a page from the Democrats in their fundraising. In the old days politicians sought private donations from their constituencies. Then the Dems figured out it wasn’t illegal to take donations from outside their constituencies and started canvassing nationwide via the internet. The Republicans saw how fruitful this was and started doing the same thing. 
Personally, I find it offensive, underhanded and shady, regardless of party affiliation. 
It’s a way to steer and manipulate politics in areas outside your political realm…which is why Soros is able to manipulate and support his brand of politics nationwide, as are corporations. 

Remember that even if you can’t vote for them it is very important to support conservative candidates in Federal elections. Your Second Amendment rights depend on it especially now 

I don’t answer the phone anymore. And I trash political mail immediately.

Archived