SASS Wire Forum

Tech section?

Hendo

I was doing a few things to my back up rifle and my brain started squirming a bit wondering why there isn't a "tech" section. Ya know, sort of a one stop place to look up polishing sears, refinishing stocks, quick tuning, cylinder/bolt timing and whatnot. I've done the car forum thing for many moons and most have something like that.

Just curious is all.

10 hours ago, Hendo said:

Just curious is all.

Curiosity killed the cat, but it does sound like a good idea.

Something like that would likely include numerous links to YouTube "How To" videos.

Why not just search YouTube for specific channels or vids on the subjects?

24 minutes ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

Something like that would likely include numerous links to YouTube "How To" videos.

Look up disc brake conversions for a 67 Camaro on YouTube. There's a lot. Some are good. Some are really good. There's a couple that will adversely affect your Ackerman angle. There's at least one I know of that will break your upper ball joint. There's quite a few that don't even talk about residual pressure check valves, metering blocks, proportioning valves or properly sizing your master cylinder to your new brake system. 

I could go on....

But let's say you belong to one of the best communities on the webby world, you don't have to go hunting for Pettifogger's open top tuning instructions in the FAQ section, or a reference to Marauder's shooting iron pages (which are completely awesome.), or searching endlessly for some obscure post from Garrison Joe about fitting extractors. 

And yeah, even pointing out some good YouTube videos....

I'm not saying it could or should be done, I was just wondering out loud.

You'll have to excuse me now, I have to get back to a Mopar forum I hang out on and point a new kid to a how-to I posted 12 years ago about double flaring stainless brake lines.

2 hours ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

This is the way to go! Plus, you’ll get a lot of non-gunsmiths adding to this and possibly being the cause of ruining a perfectly good firearm.

2 hours ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

Because if you guys give me your knowledge and input I'm more trusting of you than someone that does you tube channels. We have allot of experience here that we could tap into to. Most of you guys know each other, more trust right there. Not so much on you-tube though, unless one of you made it.

Ours is a small community and my guess is even fewer of us are trying to wrangle more YouTube subscribers. 

Most of the stuff you ask for is kind the core of how cowboy gunsmiths make their living.   I'd rather have THOSE folks succeed.

I can count the number of times I have trusted a YT video to be correct on cowboy firearms work on about the fingers on one hand.  :lol:

good luck, GJ

Archived