SASS Wire Forum

Dillon 750 maintenance

Hoss

I put my D750 in service 11/23/20. I’ve loaded 12K 38sp rounds on it. I’ve done minor cleanings and whatnot, but figured it was time to give it a good thorough cleaning. I had been planning on doing a cleaning at 10K rounds, just kept putting it off. I’m getting ready to load my Land Run Ammo, so figured I’d do the cleaning first. I normally use Bullseye powder, but figured I’d load up enough ammo for the Texas State BP championship before I cleaned it. Glad I did, APP is messy!  

I was amazed at how much crud had built up in hidden places. Dies, nooks, cranny’s, powder measure, you name it it had crud in it. I even had an unfired primer on top of where the cases drop thru the hole onto the press. No idea how that got there!  There was a 30 carbine case in the case feeder hopper. I’ve never even seen a 30 Carbine case before. I guess now that I have brass (1 piece) I’m obligated to get a gun to shoot it thru!!!

I installed the uniquetek bearing kit. Feels a bit smoother. 

I don’t think I’ll let it go 10K plus before a thorough cleaning again. Maybe every 5K

if we can send a man to the moon, why can’t somebody invent a grease gun that does not leak? 

I'll take the 30 Carbine case off of you.  I recently bought a gun that fires it but haven't decided to spend $50 for a box to shoot through it yet. I will, but it just seems excessive. Or I could sell you the gun for twice what I paid???   ;-)

Wish I could magically make brass appear out of air.

4 minutes ago, Itchy Trigger said:

I'll take the 30 Carbine case off of you.  I recently bought a gun that fires it but haven't decided to spend $50 for a box to shoot through it yet. I will, but it just seems excessive. Or I could sell you the gun for twice what I paid???   ;-)

Wish I could magically make brass appear out of air.

Keep an eye out, there is a lot of used 30 Carbine brass (as with most "Modern" military calibers) out there.  You just have to be ready to jump.

29 minutes ago, Hoss said:

if we can send a man to the moon, why can’t somebody invent a grease gun that does not leak? 

NO  KIDDING!

They always leak at the threaded coupler seam, and grease always gets through the plunger center hole, making it impossible to reload the cylinder without a horrific mess.

For 50+ years of mechanical hobbies, I never had those problems.  But today, quality is not.  built into even the most expensive tools.   Everything is cheap junk these days, designed to be thrown away and replaced rather than used or fixed.   

I wonder if the merchandise manufactured for sale and use in China is the same poor quality that they dump on us.  

Archived