SASS Wire Forum

Why do they call it an order went ordering?

Here's an Alpoish question that occurred to me a half-hour ago as I stood in line at the local drive-in. This is an old traditional drive-in, not a chain, and is the same as it was when I was in high school over 55 years ago.

The guy ahead of me orders "a double cheeseburger, a cherry milkshake, and an order of fries." He doesn't say "an order of cheeseburger" or "an order of cherry milkshake". But he says "an order of fries", even though all of them are orders. Why not just say "fries" as part of his order. Would that be confusing? Don't see how....

At Jack in the Box I'll ask for, "Two (or however many) orders of tacos." An order is 2 tacos.  Sometimes I've ordered"2 tacos," meaning I want 4, and gotten one order of 2 tacos. Same place, different day, order 4 and get 8.

With fries and onion rings I say "A small order of....". Or medium, or large because to me ordering "small fries" sounds l'm ordering an insignificant person.

2 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

At Jack in the Box I'll ask for, "Two (or however many) orders of tacos." An order is 2 tacos.  Sometimes I've ordered"2 tacos," meaning I want 4, and gotten one order of 2 tacos. Same place, different day, order 4 and get 8.

I like the 99 cents for 2 tacos at JitB, but ordering it has always been tricky.

I normally say, "2 orders of 2 tacos or 4 tacos total," because they often get confused and try to clarify if I am not very precise.

I always say “regular fries” or “large”, but I used to say “regular order of fries”. I am not sure when I changed or why I changed the way I ordered. 

What I have been doing though, just to be ornery, is I will order a burger combo and when they say “small, regular or large” I will say “regular drink but a large fries, please.” It really throws em off. 
A “ Regular” (medium) soda is the size of a large or extra large to me, but a large fries is smaller than what a “large” used to be. 

I've discovered lately that the size of a drink governs the price. The cup is the same size and you fill it yourself at the machine. So the small is always the better option and you can refill it if you want.

3 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

I've discovered lately that the size of a drink governs the price. The cup is the same size and you fill it yourself at the machine. So the small is always the better option and you can refill it if you want.

Years ago at work we would run over to Mickey D's and get french fries. Some got large and some small. One night we decided to count them. The small ALWAYS had at least 10 more fries in the bag compared to the large that came in sort of a box.

Short for "side order"...same as a menu that lists the main course (e.g., steak) with a choice of "sides":

Our steaks are charbroiled over an open flame. All Chicken, Seafood and Steak entrees come w/ vegetables, one side choice,

soup or salad and our house-made dinner bread.

Additional sides and sauces available for an extra charge.

SIDES

Fresh Cut French Fries or Tots $6.00 Sweet Potato Fries $6.75 Cajun add 50¢

House-made Original Mac N’ Cheese $6.25

Jalapeño Bacon, Pork Belly, Chicken or German Mac N’ Cheese $6.75

Nickel Rice or Coleslaw $4.00

Garlic Mashed Potatoes or Baked Potato served w/ butter & sour cream $4.25

Loaded Baker topped w/ cheddar cheese, broccoli & bacon bits $7.00 add Chicken, Pork or Brisket $3.50

Example from local eatery

3 hours ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

Short for "side order"...same as a menu that lists the main course (e.g., steak) with a choice of "sides":

Example from local eatery

I had to look up German Mac and Cheese.   Sounds good.   

5 hours ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

I'll have a hamburger, a coke and a french fry. That doesn't sound right either. Thus, "order of fries".

How about a hamburger, a coke, and fries? I agree it's a plural noun.

Not, I confess, the most important subject of the age. 

Seldom order "French fres". Just "fries".

Archived