SASS Wire Forum

C .45 Spl and Vihtavouri N320

Sarge

Since I ran out of TrailBoss, I switched to TiteGroup.  Since I switched, I've started splitting cases.  About  1-2 split cases per stage. I spoke with a tech at Starline.  He suggested switching to a slower burning powder and heating brass to 460 degrees for 1/2 hour.  I found some N320 which seems to be equivalent to the TrailBoss on the burn charts.  It doesn't appear to be as fluffy as TrailBoss.  Anyone have load data for N320 in the C .45 Spl.?

45 minutes ago, Yellowstone Vic SASS#32968 said:

image.thumb.png.a13475956519d853bb805ff99501a518.png
I would think Schofield data would be very similar to .45 CS

Actually, no.  Significantly smaller case capacity.  I was working in the 3.4 to 3.6 gr range until a casting broke on my powder measure.

You might get in contact with Augustus Goodnight. He's using N320 and I think maybe Cowboy 45 Special cases.

On 9/19/2022 at 6:50 PM, Charlie MacNeil, SASS #48580 said:

You might get in contact with Augustus Goodnight. He's using N320 and I think maybe Cowboy 45 Special cases.

By any chance do you have contact info?  Tried sending him a message.  No reply.

On 9/19/2022 at 6:34 PM, Sarge said:

Anyone have load data for N320 in the C .45 Spl.?

I don't shoot C45S, but isn't the case volume based on the 45ACP?

In that case, VV's reloading manual for 45ACP may be some help. It contains data for N320 from 185gr to 230gr bullets:

VV_45ACP_N320.thumb.jpg.23cbea3e90f38ac264b51e12f358c2b9.jpg

On 9/19/2022 at 6:34 PM, Sarge said:

I found some N320 which seems to be equivalent to the TrailBoss on the burn charts.  It doesn't appear to be as fluffy as TrailBoss.

VV's bulkier powder is N32C, the C stands for cowboy.

Happy Trails

Phil

43 minutes ago, Equanimous Phil said:

In that case, VV's reloading manual for 45ACP may be some help. It contains data for N320 from 185gr to 230gr bullets:

Happy Trails

Phil

Except that data is for plated or jacketed bullets and the velocities are pretty hot for CAS.

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

By any chance do you have contact info?  Tried sending him a message.  No reply.

Sorry, I don’t. Somebody hereabouts may , though. Also, he’s a busy guy. Might take him a few days to get back to you.

1 hour ago, Equanimous Phil said:

VV_45ACP_N320.thumb.jpg.23cbea3e90f38ac264b51e12f358c2b9.jpg

Happy Trails

Phil

I don't use .45 ACP load data due to pressure concerns.

18 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Except that data is for plated or jacketed bullets...

From this list, I only know the H&N bullets. I use H&N TC 225 and 250 grainers for CAS (.45 Colt) and RN 230 for WBAS. I guess, a more suitable term for them would be "copper washed". As I don't know the other brands, there might be some jacketed bullets.

28 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

...and the velocities are pretty hot for CAS.

Indeed, rather hot.

I suppose, you won't find real CAS loads published from any powder manufacturer. Personally, I'd like to know what a manufacturer declares as a starting load. But the table is for a semi-auto round and probably the limiting factor here is rather gun function than erratic burn.

As I use N320 myself for .45 Colt, I searched for CAS load data a while ago and it was quite difficult to find some reliable info. At the end, I went with what I found in a manual of 2005 of very unclear source, referring to Evil Roy, Holy Terror and others, and a web page that doesn't exist (anymore?) It worked for me, but I don't have the possibility to chrono the velocity.

VV-N320_45Colt.JPG.f41b6026cca531f7adbb612b23ac6b53.JPG

And for the record (and comparison), their .45 Schofield data:

VV-N320_45Schofield.JPG.303055d9c3eba339a7e5ba0e75a0fd0b.JPG

29 minutes ago, Equanimous Phil said:

From this list, I only know the H&N bullets. I use H&N TC 225 and 250 grainers for CAS (.45 Colt) and RN 230 for WBAS. I guess, a more suitable term for them would be "copper washed". As I don't know the other brands, there might be some jacketed bullets.

Indeed, rather hot.

I suppose, you won't find real CAS loads published from any powder manufacturer. Personally, I'd like to know what a manufacturer declares as a starting load. But the table is for a semi-auto round and probably the limiting factor here is rather gun function than erratic burn.

As I use N320 myself for .45 Colt, I searched for CAS load data a while ago and it was quite difficult to find some reliable info. At the end, I went with what I found in a manual of 2005 of very unclear source, referring to Evil Roy, Holy Terror and others, and a web page that doesn't exist (anymore?) It worked for me, but I don't have the possibility to chrono the velocity.

VV-N320_45Colt.JPG.f41b6026cca531f7adbb612b23ac6b53.JPG

And for the record (and comparison), their .45 Schofield data:

VV-N320_45Schofield.JPG.303055d9c3eba339a7e5ba0e75a0fd0b.JPG

You are probably right about the minimum 45acp loads still needing to be hot enough to cycle in a semi-auto.  So lower lighter loads probably are fine in a revolver, but now the loader is on his/her own as to determine how low it can go.

That is interesting data on the Schofield, quite mild!  I've been using 231 for my Schofield loads, but now that I have a keg of N320 I may switch to that for Schofield.  I have that same 2005 V-V "Cowboy Data" file, I think Longhunter shared it recently and I saved it.  But I got the N320 for .38's and didn't really look at the other data.

Archived