SASS Wire Forum

1866 out of battery detonation

Cibola Al

I’ve heard since the 1866 doesn’t have a lever safety, the out of battery detonation is a hazard.

How common is it? What can you do to mitigate the occurrence?

I like the notion of adding an 1866 rifle to my hoard, but I’d rather not blow myself up.

I've been shooting some sort of '66 or Henry '60 since 1999, shoot most every month. I have never had nor seen anyone have an OBD. I know they happen and have seen the videos, but I guess I just don't go fast enough. Some of the results I have seen have been more about forcing the lever than about not having a safety.  That being said, I bought both my kids '73's.

I have a 66 set-up for Cowboy .45 Special.  I've had two out of batteries.  First one didn't do any damage.  The second one bent the links and lever.  All was repairable.  No injuries involved either time.  It is now my backup to a 73.  It's all a timing thing.  If you are pulling the trigger as the lever closes, yeah it could happen.

I've had a few OBD's with a 66' and 60', no one to blame but myself. Typically I shoot a 73' and hit the trigger when the lever closes, this habit has cost me while shooting the other rifles. Bent lever on one occasion and sore knuckle's. The lever was able to be bent back. 

Buy a 66', learn to keep your finger off the trigger, you'll be fine. It's fun shooting the 66' and Henry!

Tully

You can always have a lever safety installed.

Ummm, would be an expensive operation to broach or electromill the slot for the tail of the safety interlock lever. 

I've had two OBDs with my '73 rifles, which have a lever safety.  The design is not foolproof.  If you go fast enough and have not learned to time your lever stroke completion with your trigger pull, you CAN have one even with a lever safety.

I've seen several other shooters have OBDs with 73s.  And a few with 66s.   Guess I have at times shot with the "Fast Kids from Ridgemont High."  Guess 10 BTs, 8 WRs and about 15 EOTs can do that to you.

So, depends upon your risk acceptance/avoidance level, and your coordination and timing.  You have to make your own decision on those, unless you find a good CAS instructor who will observe you, video you, and give his best guess of what you can expect to master.

Remember to always wear safety glasses, carry a first aid kit, and tweezers or pliers to extract brass fragments from face.  :o:lol:

Some notions seem attractive until you examine some scars.

good luck, GJ

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

If you are pulling the trigger as the lever closes, yeah it could happen.

OR if you open just slightly before you pull the trigger. Had it happen twice, no damage to the gun; but the last time I sold it and I'm pretty much done with them.

Basically these guns were not designed to go as fast as we run them. The closer you get to the ragged edge the more chances for problems.

https://uniquetek.com/product/T1712   Uniquetek lever lock    Tex: I can see how this might help if you work the lever pulling the bolt back a bit just before you pull the trigger. Don't see it helping if you pull the trigger just before the cartridge is all the way in, on a '66 with no trigger safety. It would keep me from spitting out live rounds, which I have been known to do on occasion.

My son has an older '66 with the trigger lock, and I need to go in there again and see how hard it would be to retro-fit my newer '66's.

The Old (older) '66s had a basically hollow wrist area which "could" house a '73esque trigger block.  The "new build" '66s and Henry rifles have a solid wrist with a raceway milled for the hammer.  Trigger block not gonna go.

The UniqueTec Lever Block does essentially nothing to prevent OOB.  Only helps with levering out live rounds.  OOB is primarily caused by the shooter getting out of time with the rifle.  Being uncoordinated if you will.  Starting the lever open then pulling the trigger > BANG OOB.  Pulling the trigger before the lever completely closes > BANG OOB.  Slamming the lever around when you have a malfunction instead of clearing the problem > BANG OOB from the stored inertia of the Extension Rod.

There is nothing wrong with either the '66 or the Henry.  The OOB problem with both is the shooter.  Shooter tries to go faster than his or her coordination can handle.  Pay attention to what your doing and the '66 and Henry can go very fast and do it safely.

I've got a Henry "Original Henry", and I've had out-of-battery discharges twice.   Both times bent the lifter arm, both times Henry replaced it free of charge (despite my offering to pay and owning that it was my own fault).

I'm not sure there were any dangerous side effects, just bent the arm and both times split the case and jammed up the action.  

This is why I run at the minimum PF on my 66 and even my revolvers. I have had 4 obd with no damage  no sore fingers and no bent lever or links

Best Wishes

I had a ‘73 have an OBD last year, it put a chunk of brass into the palm of my hand and I was thankful that’s all it did.  The internals of the ‘60 Henry, ‘66 Yellowboy and ‘73 are pretty much the same so an OBD can happen with any of them and as others have said it all has to do with the timing of your finger and the trigger. 

1 hour ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Coordination a little off there TJB ??  :rolleyes:

Shooting SASS since 89  so not to bad for an old Dinosaur.:D

An OOB discharge while shooting a shouldered 1860 or 66 should not pose a risk of brass fragments hitting the shooter or the TO as the blast will be focused upwards by the action. 

There is ZERO doubt that jiggling the lever of a toggle link rifle (1860, 66, or 73) can impart enough inertia to the firing pin / extension to set off a primer.

The danger is when the action jams and the shooter takes the rifle off their shoulder so they can look into the action and diagnose the problem. Jiggling the lever trying to clear the jam will cause an OBD. If you are looking into the action or have your hand in the way you stand a very good chance of having to remove brass fragments from your body.  

As a TO whenever I see the shooter jiggling the lever on a jammed 73 I immediately tell them to stop as I am quickly taking a step back. 

My wife had it happen to her a couple of times after her rifle was short-stroked.  We suspect that her trigger finger was outrunning the rest of her lever hand.  It was close to in-battery, but just not quite.  Bent the lever both times, but it was easily straightened back out after I made a little jig, I just compared it to the lever in her backup rifle and tweaked it until it was correct.  She has not had that problem in a long time, which is a good thing.

TJB :)

Not to shabby atall !!  Us Dinosaurs do need to keep an eye out for each other.  I do have to join the "ME TOO"crew after last season.  OOB in my '66 .44Spl Trapper.  My fault.  Got out of time.  Bent the lever.  OOPS!! :o

Be careful out there Boys and Girls :)

I've had it happen at least once with a .38 spl '66, and once with a .25-20 Marlin with a one-piece firing pin. Both times were close enough to "in battery", the cases didn't blow out. No apparent damage either time.

8 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

I've had it happen at least once with a .38 spl '66, and once with a .25-20 Marlin with a one-piece firing pin. Both times were close enough to "in battery", the cases didn't blow out. No apparent damage either time.

You must have the “Luck of the Irish” :D

Archived