SASS Wire Forum

President Garfield

Rye Miles #13621

President Garfield died in 1881 on this date. Killed by a bullet from a maniac Charles Guiteau. 
Guiteau was convicted and hung one year later. 
Garfield suffered for 79 days before he died.:(

2 hours ago, Steel-eye Steve SASS #40674 said:

Guiteau only shot him, the doctors killed him!

The practice of Medicine was quite different then.  Here are two copies of the same medical book.  One from 1899, the other the Centennial Edition from 1999.

DSC_7936.JPG

I think he would have been one of the great presidents! He was a very brilliant intelligent man. His home is 15,minutes from me. I visited there a few times. I even tuned the piano there once. His wife Lucretia played as well as all his kids. His library in the home is huge!!

4 hours ago, Steel-eye Steve SASS #40674 said:

Guiteau only shot him, the doctors killed him!

Yes and No.

The dirty, painful death of President James A. Garfield

Blaming his doctors may be a tantalizing literary trope but President Garfield had an excellent chance of dying from the ordeal no matter who treated him during his awful, last summer. The annals of medical history are littered with such retrospective diagnoses that can never really be proven but, nevertheless, make for great medical tales. Nevertheless, Bliss and his colleagues certainly cannot be credited with helping Mr. Garfield all that much.

In the final, post-mortem analysis, the president desperately needed a modern medical miracle long before his doctors were equipped to produce one.

Yes, he probably could have been saved with modern technology, especially asceptic practice and antibiotics. Likely, so would McKinley. Without modern technology President Reagan probably would not have survived! John F. Kennedy? No.  Robert Kennedy? Maybe. The techniques that saved Rep. Gabby Gifford might have saved RFK, but in what condition is impossible to evaluate. :unsure:

Archived