SASS Wire Forum

Lying In State

Just discovered that the BBC has live coverage of the Queen's lying in state, guarded by the Gentlemen at Arms, the Royal Company of Archers, and the Yeomen of the Guard.

Sounds boring; however, I found it to be kind of cool.  As people respectfully file past the coffin, many pause to bow.  Every twenty minutes they are halted and the guard is rotated.  Solemn, stately, and quiet.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/uk-62902778

The Royal Archers (the four men in front with the longbows) were interesting:

SEI_125536372-10e0.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&zoom=1&resize=644%2C429

i find it kind of morbid even tho i get it that a hundred or so years ago it was not just common it was expected on the kitchen table no less , reverence has its place , remembering is a given , there was a time when travel was a time consuming thing and transportation not readily available viewing may be needed by some just to leave a lasting impression that should already be there , but im not sure if all this is needed ....other than by the medua and whomever is getting paid to cover it , 

ill admit ive never been nor even considered being a 'subject of the crown;' i do have a friend that did , he came back here after she messed his life up , i find a bit of discomfort with most everything i hear of laws and controls but thats only to explain my ignorance of the situation , 

i mean no disrespect - i think our political funerals get way too much coverage as well , 

Well, they closed the doors at 0630 local time.  

More to come, of course....

30 minutes ago, Alpo said:

There's a picture. But if there's a live streaming on that page, I'll be damned if I can find it.

See my last post.  :)

Yeah. A tradition since Queen Victoria’s  funeral when the horses pulling the gun carriage became unmanageable and the RN stepped in.

https://inews.co.uk/news/who-pulling-gun-carriage-today-why-royal-navy-sailors-queens-coffin-westminster-abbey-1864797?ico=related_stories

20 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Yeah. A tradition since Queen Victoria’s  funeral when the horses pulling the gun carriage became unmanageable and the RN stepped in.

https://inews.co.uk/news/who-pulling-gun-carriage-today-why-royal-navy-sailors-queens-coffin-westminster-abbey-1864797?ico=related_stories

Interesting.  My wife and I were wondering why sailors were pulling (and restraining) the carriage.

I suppose this day was inevitable, but it still feels odd.  Tonight's toast shall be "God Save The King".  Wisdom and strength for His Majesty.

46 minutes ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

I wonder if all the armed troops have ammunition in their magazines?

When I was a tourist at the Queen's Silver Jubilee I asked that question of an English Army Major that I knew.  Can't recall the exact number, but it was something like one in 5 carried ammunition.  They are very precise and use a giant compass to position the troops along the Queen's route.  In those days you could be walking along a street an pass a sentry in front of a compact military compound, some with armored vehicles.

IMG_20160127_0047.jpg

I for one will be glad when this is over! No disrespect RIP but enough with the pomp and circumstance already. Every channel! My Lord! 

You have to admit, when it comes to pageantry, pomp and ceremony, The Brits have it mastered. 

On 9/19/2022 at 11:42 AM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I for one will be glad when this is over! No disrespect RIP but enough with the pomp and circumstance already. Every channel! My Lord! 

Well, likely won't be another royal funeral for 15 or 20 years.  And I doubt that there will ever be another one for a monarch who reigned for over 70 years.

On 9/19/2022 at 11:42 AM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

The news media has a really bad habit of fixating on a single headline-making news story and ignoring everything else that's going on in the world. Did anyone else even know there was a significant earthquake in Taiwan two days ago?

3 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

The news media has a really bad habit of fixating on a single headline-making news story and ignoring everything else that's going on in the world. Did anyone else even know there was a significant earthquake in Taiwan two days ago?

I saw the Tsunami warning.

Archived