SASS Wire Forum

Quick lever action cleaning rig.

Vail Vigilante

Howdy

So I have been thinking about how to quickly clean out BP lever guns.

I think I have a solution.

I have a padded gun vise in the garage. 

So If I hung a metal funnel from the rafter, connected the funnel to the rifles chamber with some fuel line, I should be able to dump buckets of hot soapy water through it until it comes out clean?  Followup with  a dry patch and oil? Is it this easy or I am overlooking something?

Shooting sports can sure be full of rabbit holes to fall into....

Thanks

I put a finger over the chamber to plug it, spray 409 into the bore until it's full, wait a minute or so, dump it out, then run a couple of patches down the bore.  Once dry, I run a bore butter patch into the bore to lube it.  

2-3 wet patches should clean the barrel.  Run a dry patch and run an oiled patch should do the trick.  Keeping it simple is much easier, but to each it's own.   Good luck.

Sounds like a TON more work than just spraying some BP solvent down bore, then running a tight patch 5 minutes later.  I use PAM to clean and leave an oil barrier behind in the barrel.  PAM is a widely used home-made BP cleaner.   Equal parts of:

P hydrogen Peroxide

A rubbing Alcohol

M Murphys oil soap.

Why boil water when I can be done in half that time?   This isn't as hard as delivering a baby.

Besides, this is JUST as easy to do at the range or at an out-of-town match!  

good luck, GJ

On 9/18/2022 at 2:24 PM, Vail Vigilante said:

Howdy

So I have been thinking about how to quickly clean out BP lever guns.

I think I have a solution.

I have a padded gun vise in the garage. 

So If I hung a metal funnel from the rafter, connected the funnel to the rifles chamber with some fuel line, I should be able to dump buckets of hot soapy water through it until it comes out clean?  Followup with  a dry patch and oil? Is it this easy or I am overlooking something?

Shooting sports can sure be full of rabbit holes to fall into....

Thanks

Yes!  You are overlooking something.  It's easier than that.  Look at the answers given by OLG, Garrison Joe, I.M. Crossdraw, or Jefro.

Archived