Jump to content

Bowzer Is 75


Subdeacon Joe
 Share

Recommended Posts

"Bowzer," aka John Bauman.

 

I saw those fellas twice in the early 70's at Winterland ~ two of the funnest concerts ever.  The second time they were actually kinda showed up by a lead-in group no one had heard of... some young upstarts who called themselves the Electric Light Orchestra.  ^_^

 

By the way - Bowzer is a very, very hard-left leaning sort.  Died-in-the-wool supporter of Hillary and her gang.  His nephew was a former chairman of the California Democratic Party.

 

But in his day he was one hell of a showman!  B)

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I saw him a few years ago.  He was hosting an all oldies review that had all original members of the various bands. Got to see a lot of groups I didn’t even know were still around. Bowser was funny and entertaining as he was on sha-na-na. Then he sat down at a piano and started playing classical music, very elegantly. All this with his hair greased back and his black tshirt with a pack of cigarettes rolled up in the sleeve. Come to find out his musical background was as a classical pianist. Who knew?

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

By the way - Bowzer is a very, very hard-left leaning sort.  Died-in-the-wool supporter of Hillary and her gang.  His nephew was a former chairman of the California Democratic Party.

I went to high school with Donny and keep very loosely in touch over the years.
He is very conservative in all aspects, and an upstanding man.
 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, bgavin said:

I went to high school with Donny and keep very loosely in touch over the years.
He is very conservative in all aspects, and an upstanding man.
 

He better jump all over Wikipedia then because they say he’s anything but a conservative 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Bauman

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

He better jump all over Wikipedia then because they say he’s anything but a conservative 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Bauman

 

That's Bowzer.

 

Donald "Donny" York is a different member of the band.  :)

 

Donny York singing come go with me Sha na na show season 1 episode 6 -  YouTube

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

 

That's Bowzer.

 

Donald "Donny" York is a different member of the band.  :)

 

Donny York singing come go with me Sha na na show season 1 episode 6 -  YouTube

Just thought Donny was his real name, sorry assumed we’re talking about Bowzer 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Remember "Denny?"  :)

 

Dennis Greene... singer and one of the three dancers.  Graduated from Columbia, Masters from Harvard, and then off to Yale for law school... variety of jobs after, including law professor.  Sadly, he passed in 2015.  

 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTVkGimxVkfKArQcQ2g63t0SaG7bmbKcdQw7g&usqp=CAU

 

 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/17/2022 at 8:01 PM, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

I saw him a few years ago.  He was hosting an all oldies review that had all original members of the various bands. Got to see a lot of groups I didn’t even know were still around. Bowser was funny and entertaining as he was on sha-na-na. Then he sat down at a piano and started playing classical music, very elegantly. All this with his hair greased back and his black tshirt with a pack of cigarettes rolled up in the sleeve. Come to find out his musical background was as a classical pianist. Who knew?

Here's another "who'd have thunk it" Charo playing Malaguena on guiter.

JHC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmNPXqG6ovg

Edited by Capt. James H. Callahan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.