SASS Wire Forum

Bowzer Is 75

Subdeacon Joe

"Bowzer," aka John Bauman.

I saw those fellas twice in the early 70's at Winterland ~ two of the funnest concerts ever.  The second time they were actually kinda showed up by a lead-in group no one had heard of... some young upstarts who called themselves the Electric Light Orchestra.  ^_^

By the way - Bowzer is a very, very hard-left leaning sort.  Died-in-the-wool supporter of Hillary and her gang.  His nephew was a former chairman of the California Democratic Party.

But in his day he was one hell of a showman!  B)

I saw him a few years ago.  He was hosting an all oldies review that had all original members of the various bands. Got to see a lot of groups I didn’t even know were still around. Bowser was funny and entertaining as he was on sha-na-na. Then he sat down at a piano and started playing classical music, very elegantly. All this with his hair greased back and his black tshirt with a pack of cigarettes rolled up in the sleeve. Come to find out his musical background was as a classical pianist. Who knew?

15 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

By the way - Bowzer is a very, very hard-left leaning sort.  Died-in-the-wool supporter of Hillary and her gang.  His nephew was a former chairman of the California Democratic Party.

I went to high school with Donny and keep very loosely in touch over the years.
He is very conservative in all aspects, and an upstanding man.

8 hours ago, bgavin said:

I went to high school with Donny and keep very loosely in touch over the years.
He is very conservative in all aspects, and an upstanding man.

He better jump all over Wikipedia then because they say he’s anything but a conservative 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Bauman

29 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

He better jump all over Wikipedia then because they say he’s anything but a conservative 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Bauman

That's Bowzer.

Donald "Donny" York is a different member of the band.  :)

Donny York singing come go with me Sha na na show season 1 episode 6 -  YouTube

Remember "Denny?"  :)

Dennis Greene... singer and one of the three dancers.  Graduated from Columbia, Masters from Harvard, and then off to Yale for law school... variety of jobs after, including law professor.  Sadly, he passed in 2015.  

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTVkGimxVkfKArQcQ2g63t0SaG7bmbKcdQw7g&usqp=CAU

On 9/17/2022 at 8:01 PM, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

I saw him a few years ago.  He was hosting an all oldies review that had all original members of the various bands. Got to see a lot of groups I didn’t even know were still around. Bowser was funny and entertaining as he was on sha-na-na. Then he sat down at a piano and started playing classical music, very elegantly. All this with his hair greased back and his black tshirt with a pack of cigarettes rolled up in the sleeve. Come to find out his musical background was as a classical pianist. Who knew?

Here's another "who'd have thunk it" Charo playing Malaguena on guiter.

JHC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmNPXqG6ovg

Archived