SASS Wire Forum

Gunfighter cocking

Make do

I have noticed that the rule book talks about double cocking (dc) vs. single cocking (sc), with stating sc is faster. Is it true? I currently dc and have been encouraged to change to sc. This is what I have noticed about the two styles from videos. 

1. Most sc seem to cock the second pistol after the first is fired - so they are spending time with two cocking actions. The really fast ones have the second pistol cocked during the time the first one is being aimed and fired. So, a dc is only spending one time for two pistols being cocked which in theory should be as fast as the faster single cockers. 

2. The sc I have observed for the most part when there is a change in direction seem to have to cross over the pistols. Whereas a dc can switch direction by just starting with the pistol in line with the target saving a bit of time. Example would be 3 targets sweeping down and back for ten rounds. This crossing over by sc seems to slow them down a bit. I have not been able to watch on video a really fast gun fighter on how they handle a change in direction. 

3. A disadvantage I have seen for dc is the shots can happen so close together that they are called for two shots at once. Even the fastest sc don't seem to get this call. 

4. From what I can tell many sc cock both pistols coming out of the holsters

5. So, what am I missing that makes sc faster than dc other than the really fast gunfighters are sc? 

I agree with Doc.

If you are proficient with a particular technique, then practice it and perfect it for YOUR usage.

Your #3 is misleading.   A really fast SC can double up on a discharge.   Its been done..... and I got it on video.

10 shots on steel in 1.79 seconds..... but shots 7 & 8 from the Left and Right pistols discharged simultaneously.

Actually, the 10 shots only took about 1.35 seconds.   The rest of the time was the draw from holsters.

..........Widder

If one is faster than the other, I have no idea. Bobcat Brian and others are incredibly fast as a single pistol cocker.

One issue with cocking both at the same time are split pistol stages and habits.

PLUS ONE for ALL OF THE ABOVE.  The real hazard to Double Cocking if if you have split pistols and or have to move after the first five.  Double Cocking is is very easy to end your first five, have to move, and have a Cocked pistol in your hand.  You can't move with a cocked pistol which results in a "P" in the very least.  Most skilled Gunfighters (myself included) are cocking the next gun while firing the leading gun.  Most of us (myself included only Double Cock coming out of the holsters.

However, FIRST learned is BEST remembered.  Once you spend time and practice with one method or the other, changing becomes very difficult.  There is only ONE real MANTRA.  SPEED only comes from lots of PRACTICE.  Neither method is naturally faster than the other.  So PRACTICE Padawan.

Bad River Marty is an excellent example of a very fast double-cocker. T-Bone used to do it.

One way for dc’ers to handle split pistol is to cock and fire one pistol then do two pairs.

That said, single-cocking is my preferred method.  However, it is not the only way to be successful.

6 hours ago, Make do said:

...have noticed that the rule book talks about double cocking (dc) vs. single cocking (sc), with stating sc is faster. Is it true?

Where exactly is this? 

Your right the handbook refers to alternating pistols for shooting, I took that to mean single cocking instead of double cocking

2 hours ago, Make do said:

Your right the handbook refers to alternating pistols for shooting, I took that to mean single cocking instead of double cocking

There is no rule which states the pistols must alternate either.

I am an average GF-er and now, shooting B Western, shoot GF only about a third of the stages.

I shoot left gun first as much as possible but will change leads up to twice per stage, like shooting a Nevada sweep.

I left the gun roll in recoil, catch the trigger with my thumb and cock the hammer by closing my ring finger, bringing the sights back in line with my eyes.  I do not worry about double or single cocking; I just grab the hammer when the gun rolls back.

As an average cowboy, I can shoot a Naveda sweep in 4.2 (others are much faster).

This method works if the recoil is sufficient.  My .45 Vaqueros is easy to use.  I gave to shoot 100 gr bullets at 900 fps in my Ruger .32 birdshead to get the small roll.  Ruger .38s have never rolled enough for me.

I think Doc Shapiro pretty much nailed it down, there is no right answer to the question and it more depends on the shooter.  However, the fastest I've seen in a speed pistol match was indeed a double cocker, very impressive to watch!

39 minutes ago, Bison Bud said:

I think Doc Shapiro pretty much nailed it down, there is no right answer to the question and it more depends on the shooter.  However, the fastest I've seen in a speed pistol match was indeed a double cocker, very impressive to watch!

Agree.   The fastest I've seen in a speed pistol match was Bad River Marty..... who is a double cocker.

He's got a rare gift of shooting those pistols fast and accurate.

Lassiter is basically an alternating style shooter and he's dang fast also.

..........Widder

I’m not shooting GF anymore because of a back problem.  When I was shooting it, I double cocked.  The advantage I had with it is that I learned to easily switch leads so I never had to cross pistols.  I could never alternate.  My thumbs always worked together.  There are great GFs in both styles.  

Unfortunately im relearning how to cock due to a recent surgery. Way slower than I used to be.  There really isn't a reason right answer.

Your body, your hands, your mind.   I'm much faster alternating.  Sub 3 seconds from holsters is the pretty much norm for most sweeps I run, when I can go all out, sub 2 is not that hard.  I can name about half a dozen who can do it as well.

Just remember it's not about how fast  you can shoot but how fast spotters can keep up. 

On 9/18/2022 at 8:09 AM, Make do said:

I have noticed that the rule book talks about double cocking (dc) vs. single cocking (sc), with stating sc is faster. Is it true? I currently dc and have been encouraged to change to sc. This is what I have noticed about the two styles from videos. 

1. Most sc seem to cock the second pistol after the first is fired - so they are spending time with two cocking actions. The really fast ones have the second pistol cocked during the time the first one is being aimed and fired. So, a dc is only spending one time for two pistols being cocked which in theory should be as fast as the faster single cockers. 

2. The sc I have observed for the most part when there is a change in direction seem to have to cross over the pistols. Whereas a dc can switch direction by just starting with the pistol in line with the target saving a bit of time. Example would be 3 targets sweeping down and back for ten rounds. This crossing over by sc seems to slow them down a bit. I have not been able to watch on video a really fast gun fighter on how they handle a change in direction. 

3. A disadvantage I have seen for dc is the shots can happen so close together that they are called for two shots at once. Even the fastest sc don't seem to get this call. 

5. So, what am I missing that makes sc faster than dc other than the really fast gunfighters are sc? 

If you cock before you have the gun at 45 degs that's illegal.

2 minutes ago, Fretless said:

Can you explain "rotate" for me?

Revolver comes out of holster pointed down.  One then rotates the revolver past 45 degrees down range with wrist action and then proceeds to cock the revolver with the thumb.  

It’s what you practice. As for split pistols, with double cocking, I don’t see how that would be a disadvantage over single cocking; guess it depends on how you handle the split pistols. What I do (if moving left to right on the stage) is cock my left pistol first, then double cocking for four shots (hammers are both down). Move, then shoot my right pistol first, then double cock for four shots.

1 hour ago, Shamrock Sadie said:

It’s what you practice. As for split pistols, with double cocking, I don’t see how that would be a disadvantage over single cocking; guess it depends on how you handle the split pistols. What I do (if moving left to right on the stage) is cock my left pistol first, then double cocking for four shots (hammers are both down). Move, then shoot my right pistol first, then double cock for four shots.

Shamrock Sadie gives good advice for DC type Gunfighters.

I alternate.   I alternate nearly 99.9% of the time and rarely do a lead change.

For split pistol stages, I COUNT .... 1, 2, 3. 4, Don't Cock.   This 'Mental' sequence helps keep me from cocking for that

6th round.

This is only ONE way to handle various GF scenarios.    As mentioned above,  you need to find YOUR STYLE, your mental

approach, your capability in order to successfully shoot GF....... 'Your Way'.

Good luck.

..........Widder

21 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I alternate.   I alternate nearly 99.9% of the time and rarely do a lead change.

For split pistol stages, I COUNT .... 1, 2, 3. 4, Don't Cock.   This 'Mental' sequence helps keep me from cocking for that

6th round.

..........Widder

That’s exactly what I do.

I prefer to SC and alternate as it allows my sequence and cadence to be the same with the pistols as the rifle the majority of the time. If it’s a split pistol stage I just run all 5 from one pistol then 5 from the other. 

Archived