SASS Wire Forum

Had some stuff stolen

Ezra Hawthorne

Sad to report this morning that it appears i've had some of my belongings stolen from a range I visited recently. I've seen threads on the forum where people mention some sticky fingered bandits have helped themselves to someone else's unattended gun carts at matches and taken whatever they fancied, but I didn't think it would happen to me. I've made some inquiries but all i've received in return is a shrug so far. People at the local matches have (mostly) been so kind to me that I hadn't watched over my stuff as closely as I might have if I were someplace else, so it's disheartening both to find out some pards aren't as honest as I thought and that it happened to me as i'm somebody who isn't exactly flush with disposable income these days. Poor people make good targets I suppose.

I'm not mad, i'm just disappointed. :(

That just sucks. We leave our carts down on the range regularly when we go to lunch. Never crossed my mind that a Pard would steal something. Hopefully it was a stranger and not a cowboy. Good luck finding the POS.

At an annual shoot in Okeechobee years ago one of the guys who was a deputy came up to me and pointed out a spectator. “That guy is a known thief. We’ve busted him a number of times”’ he said. We walked over and talked to him and convinced him he’d be happier somewhere else.

Unfortunately, in this day and age, there are more and more people whom are not on this earth to help other's but only too help themselves.  They feel that life has somehow cheated them out of opportunity's.  They feel that without effort on their part, something or someone will make up for it.  Always looking for the easy way. 

Unattended range carts on public ranges, cars left at trailheads in the mountains, trucks with open beds of tools and the hardware store, purses in shopping carts, personal items left in the open on your property, the list can go on and on.  All those situations create an  "if it is free, it is for me" attitude.  

The down side is that, even if you expect the best, you have to prepare for the worst.  Greet everyone with a "HELLO", help those in need, treat everyone as you would like to be treated, live by the Cowboy Code, BUT always assume that it might go south.  I try everyday to be 100% positive, happy and try to bring a smile on other peoples faces, it just gets harder as time goes by.  One bad apple will ruin the whole barrel.

My 2 bits from the saddle.  :)  :FlagAm:

I am sorry to hear this Ezra. 
Years ago, when I first started in SASS I recall lots of folks showing up to watch and ask questions. I had a tendency to leave my cart at the very rear of the stage gathering and all the other gun carts. One day a bandana vanished. No biggie. At another match a gun sleeve disappeared. I chalked it up to someone perhaps thinking the sleeve was theirs. Then one day a Pard said that he just ran off a spectator that was looking through my cart ammo box. That was when I decided to put a lock on my box and I stopped leaving my cart where I couldn’t keep an eye on it. 

Takes big ones to steal from armed men and women. I heard years ago, up here somewhere, some POSs came in after midnight and stole a bunch of generators. Unbelievable.

Unfortunately, there are good people and there bad people in all walks of life and all types of sport/games. SASS/CAS has many, many good people in it, but there are also some bad. I seen it, personally. Never had anything stolen from me, I know of others who have. Most of this type stuff has been at large matches although it happens at "club" type matches also. I think that 95% of the thieves have not been participants of the match, they were "spectators".

Simple truth is, if you have valuables (guns, leather, money) out in the open and untended...anyone can steal them...including SASS members.

Not just on ranges and trails

I went to visit my wife's grave and someone had stolen the marble flower urn that was cemented on the the granite base between my parents' headstone and our headstone.

7 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Not just on ranges and trails

I went to visit my wife's grave and someone had stolen the marble flower urn that was cemented on the the granite base between my parents' headstone and our headstone.

That is reprehensible. May they be struck,........,...:angry:

wow , sorry to hear this - first time ive ever heard of such a thing at a cowboy shoot - most times i hear folks finding dropped items that get returned to the owners , its more the norm here at least , hope you get you stuff back and hope those responsible get what's coming , no excuse - we cowboys would give folks what they need if asked or if noticed , ive never wanted at a cowboy shoot ever ....sad thing to be sure 

I have been around the CAS family for quite a few years now and I have never come upon a CAS that gave me any reason to distrust them.  I have seen a few individuals come wander about a shoot that I was suspect of.  It is incumbent upon all of the CAS community to pay close attention to those who do not fit the persona of a cowboy action shooter and watch out for one another and our belongings.  Remember there are those who are genuinely curious and wish to learn and there will always be that small percentage of humanity who are just seeking a opportunity to  take from any one of us.  Sadly it is in every venue and aspect of life.  

There is a saying/truism along the lines of ..... "Trust everybody, but brand your calves ..... "

.... and, of course, hindsight is looking out your rear-end at where you've been ...... but still ........   

:(

still , ive never ever heard of such at a CAS/SASS event , but then i live a sheltered life [armed all the time] in flyover country , the place of "rocks and cows" according to our governor  , so what might i know ?

im in for lynching the responsible party tho 

On 9/18/2022 at 2:17 AM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

At an annual shoot in Okeechobee years ago one of the guys who was a deputy came up to me and pointed out a spectator. “That guy is a known thief. We’ve busted him a number of times”’ he said. We walked over and talked to him and convinced him he’d be happier somewhere else.

Hey Bob..Ya' didn't happen to have a  shovel [ spade ] in ya' hands when you spoke to him !!

Archived