SASS Wire Forum

Forget wins - whats your best compliment?

Creeker, SASS #43022

I've had a number of folks tell me I'm pretty quick on a rifle reload.  On the flip side of that, others want to name a sweep after me.  Totes Magoats Sweep from either end, Shoot 6, jack one out, reload on the last target.

I really didn't want to get fast at rifle reloads, but it was a byproduct of poor technique and speed.  :)

Shameless plug for Abilene's channel:  

Totes

I'm a bit lazy when it comes to signing up for our state match.  No idea why, it just takes me a while to send in the registration form.  One year not too long ago the secretary of the club called me and demanded to know if I was going to be there.  I said of course.  I'm always there.  Why the phone call?  She said, because a lot of folks are asking to be on your posse so I need to make sure you'll be there for them to posse with.  That felt good.

A close second was when somebody came up to me after a match and said, DANG!  You're nothing like Creeker.  That felt GREAT! :D

4 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

A close second was when somebody came up to me after a match and said, DANG!  You're nothing like Creeker.  That felt GREAT! :D

Complete sentences go a long ways...

Somebody came up to Shooting Bull after a match and said,

DANG! 

Have you ever completed a stage in less than fifty seconds and with less than eight misses? 

And my goodness; your looks - were you born this way or was it a horrible tragic train accident?

And that odor...

You smell horrible.  Reminiscent of a rotting horse carcass soaked in hobo urine and then set on fire in a dumpster filled with old tires...

But ten times worse.

You're nothing like Creeker.

There, I fixed it for you.  :D

2 hours ago, Nutmeg Ryder, SASS # 74966 said:

Easy, receiving the Spirit of The Game pin at this years MA/RI/CT "Tri State" match.  

I swore I wouldn't cry, but I did. 

Good for you, Congratulations.

Eyesa & Ellie 

Ellie says she knows how you felt! Got choked up a tad meownself. 

Have a couple. On vacation I shot with a club near Carson City NV. The first time I shot there, I went out and shot the first stage and finished it clean and with a fairly decent time. As I was heading to to the unloading table, I hear one of the other members of the posse say " that guy from Wisconsin knows how to shoot".  The other happened this year at the Wisconsin state shoot when I was selected by the posse for the Spirit of the Game award for the posse. 

Another but it didn't happen to me, but I was a part of it. A very good friend, and co shooter that shot on or posse with his son, could no longer shot because of cancer. He still made the trip to an annual shoot, and sat with the posse at every stage. We, the posse selected him for the Spirit of the game award. He was quite surprised and touched by it.

2 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Complete sentences go a long ways...

Somebody came up to Shooting Bull after a match and said,

DANG! 

Have you ever completed a stage in less than fifty seconds and with less than eight misses? 

And my goodness; your looks - were you born this way or was it a horrible tragic train accident?

And that odor...

You smell horrible.  Reminiscent of a rotting horse carcass soaked in hobo urine and then set on fire in a dumpster filled with old tires...

But ten times worse.

You're nothing like Creeker. He’s even worse!

There, I fixed it for you.  :D

There, fixed your fix. :D

"No 45-70 on a regular stage!" shouted by several members of the posse when I cut loose on a rifle run. (I was using 45 Colt with 40 grains of real BP and a 255 grain PRS bullet!) The hacking, wheezing, and, "What target did he hit?" comments were pretty fine music to my ears as well... :lol:

I forgot one...

After a trainwreck of a stage - a shooter came to me and said, "You know, a lot of people actually try to hit the targets - I admire someone willing to march to their own drummer".

1 hour ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

After a match where my Pa, Blue Boy was named SOG award winner, I was told "you can come back if you bring him"

Imis

I was at that match!  I got used to the same sort of thing!!  I’d arrive at a match and most everyone I’d see would look past me and ask, “You DID bring Schoolmarm, DIDN’TCHA’??”

I’ve had many complements, both here on the wire and on the range.  Spirit Of The Game at CAC, being unofficially adopted by Blue Boy, being all but officially adopted by Smokin’ Joe Anderson, (the founder of Possum Trot), being told that I made shooting Frontiersman look easy by Marshall TKD at the Ambush at Cavern Cove, and being singled out by a certain sombrero wearing scoundrel as a SASS hero for getting him to get out and travel to big matches.

There’s others, but some of ‘em are the kind of thing that ya’ just nod, smile, and then shrug and try not to blush before thanking the one or ones that paid you such high praise!

Archived