SASS Wire Forum

Forget wins - whats your best compliment?

Creeker, SASS #43022

Widder called me a "caution" on another thread and it made me grin.

Got me to thinking - we all love our brag buckles and awards - but some of my fondest memories have been from the comments/ compliments I have received over the years.

Ill share some of mine - please share yours as well.

When the SASS convention was held in Las Vegas - it fell on an Eldorado Cowboys shooting weekend; so we somehow got folks to come out to the range and shoot with us.

Some of the contingent that came out knew some of us and some did not.

I was shooting with one that did not know me and while I remember their alias (pretty well known and respected shooter)- I don't wish to attribute words to anyone that they may have forgotten.

But anyways - I was (and still am) an overweight cowboy in Wranglers and a dumb hat and certainly not the shooter you'd pick out of the line up as most likely to blister a stage.

So first stage we shot that day - I managed to put together a really good run.

At the unloading table as I'm clearing guns - this shooter walks over; looks me up and down with a big grin and says...

"You're a mite bit sudden, aint you?"

I have always enjoyed that comment.

---------------------------------------------

An out of state shooter kept seeing my incessant SASS wire postings hawking Eldorado and decided to give our event a try - he later told me that because of attitudes and politics; he had pretty well given up on CAS - but coming to our shoot, he had felt so welcomed and had so much fun - that we had given him the impetus to become an active shooter again.  I have always held on to that as a reminder that words and actions matter and you never know what you do that may affect another.

Desert Scorpion always knew she wanted her own identity in SASS; no cutesy play on Creeker crew or sound alike names. 

She was her own shooter and tried her best to be her own individual on the posse.

We were in Tombstone at Bordertown - she was maybe 12 or 13 at the time.  And I managed to shoot a pretty good stage; she came up to me and gave me a big hug for my performance.  One of the other shooters said, " That's your Dad?"

And my daughter responded, "Yeah, Im Creekers Kid". 

Never really know how your kids view you - knowing she was proud to be my kid meant a lot.

There are many more; but this last one still hits home.  Know Justice was a fellow cowboy shooter whom we lost to brain cancer a number of years back.  

He underwent numerous surgeries and attempted to come back after every one of them; with lessening success everytime.  I and others, Buffalo Sam most notably made every effort to keep Know Justice on the range and allow him to continue to play as long as possible.  Near the end - I would time for Know Justice with my hand wrapped in his suspenders to keep him upright thru the stage - when he was unable to hold his shotgun one handed to load it - we worked out a method where he would keep two hands on his shotgun and I would feed shells into his 97 over his shoulder.  When Know Justice passed and we attended his service; we learned that Know Justice had written his own eulogy - he didn't mention his children, his church, his long career; Know Justice used his last words on this mortal plane to say thank you to me and Buffalo Sam for the support and love we had shown him. 

I don't know how to even aspire to higher praise than that.

For me, a couple memories stand out:

1.  About 3 years back, a shooter was having trouble with his technique on his 97.   He was loading over the top

and engaging the targets in a Left to Right sequence.   I told him to try engaging the targets in a Right to Left

sequence because his present technique was making him 'chase the loading port' for each shot.

He actually decided to change to the R to L technique in the middle of a big match and came up to me after

the match to thank me, stating that he had 5 good stages without a single SG bobble, etc...... by going

R to L.      Made me feel good.

2.   About 8-10 years back, I was told by one of our top SASS shooters that my 'grab 2 and loading from the right'

would never help me improve my shooting times, etc.   He stated that 'over the top' was the best way to

run a 97.     Maybe for him and others, but not for me.

3.   And then there is Red Knee.   A total stranger who has become a great friend.

The 1st time we met was in Louisiana at Slick McClade's. 'Hell Fire' match.    When I saw Red Knee run his

97 on Side Match day, I complimented him and ask where he was from......."Oklahoma" he says.

I said..... "You come from Oklahoma just to shoot this match"?

He said...... "No, I came from Oklahoma to beat you in Speed 97 side match".

Red Knee is a monumental man.   He has a great spirit about him and I would venture to say that

everyone that knows him, likes and respects him.    Again, he is a very good friend and I cherish the

memory of the 1st time we met.

..........Widder

Someone once said to me "You look like someone on the set of Jose Wales."

At the time, I thought he meant my outfit looked authentic.  Thinking of it now, maybe he meant my shooting skills were like the dudes that got shot down without a chance.

Recently a Pard was looking for a pen. My good friend Totes Magoats said “Two things you can count on with ole Hoss. He will always have a pen and a big smile” 

I hope I never take this game so seriously that I forget it’s about having fun, spending time with my friends and making new friends. 

First for me was all of the welcome and enthusiastic help provided by top shooters when I was learning and for the writing of Breaking the Shot.  The graciousness and generosity was overwhelming.  I'm not going to call out names, as I know I'll leave out some.  You know who you are and I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.  I've tried to pay it forward over the years since.

More recently was being awarded a Spirit of the Game award at the CA State match a few years back.

Great memories that mean a lot.

Ellie recieved an SOG award at the Great Maine Gunfight last week. She was surprised and both of us a tad choked up. Ellie hasn't been able to shoot this season due to a broken collar bone. But, she has been there to support me and help with scoring and registration and anything else she can help with. Congratulations Ellie.

EH 

PS: Get to the Maine shoot if ya can, Tyler & Des do a great job and it's lots of fun!

My wife and both my kids shoot with me most of the time. My daughter and I shoot BP, my wife and son shoot smokeless. I give them some advice from time to time, but mostly let them learn on their own, as I like to keep things fun. They are 19 and 20 now, and have been beating me on stages but haven't managed to beat me overall. I was mentioning(complaining? :) ) to a fellow shooter that I have shot with for years that I have had to switch to 2 handed shooting just to keep up with them, and he said " you realize that we are all pulling for your kids to beat you, right?" . And I thought to myself, me too. Just glad to have them here.

I was at a match in Kentucky and shot first on what I think was the first stage. I shoot all guns from the hip and shot the stage clean with no shotgun reengagements with a good time for me. As I was heading to the ult I heard someone say "if he can do that we don't have any excuses".:D

At the Tennessee State banquet a cowboy I've shot with twice stopped at my table and said " I hope there's something on that award table for you cause what you do is awesome "  I was blown away. The first announcement by Tennessee Tombstone and Scarlett Darlin to myself and another shooter was we were selected as Jedi Gunfighters. I am now Outlaw Jedi Gunfighter #322. 

13 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Widder called me a "caution" on another thread and it made me grin.

Got me to thinking - we all love our brag buckles and awards - but some of my fondest memories have been from the comments/ compliments I have received over the years.

Ill share some of mine - please share yours as well.

When the SASS convention was held in Las Vegas - it fell on an Eldorado Cowboys shooting weekend; so we somehow got folks to come out to the range and shoot with us.

Some of the contingent that came out knew some of us and some did not.

I was shooting with one that did not know me and while I remember their alias (pretty well known and respected shooter)- I don't wish to attribute words to anyone that they may have forgotten.

But anyways - I was (and still am) an overweight cowboy in Wranglers and a dumb hat and certainly not the shooter you'd pick out of the line up as most likely to blister a stage.

So first stage we shot that day - I managed to put together a really good run.

At the unloading table as I'm clearing guns - this shooter walks over; looks me up and down with a big grin and says...

"You're a mite bit sudden, aint you?"

I have always enjoyed that comment.

An out of state shooter kept seeing my incessant SASS wire postings hawking Eldorado and decided to give our event a try - he later told me that because of attitudes and politics; he had pretty well given up on CAS - but coming to our shoot, he had felt so welcomed and had so much fun - that we had given him the impetus to become an active shooter again.  I have always held on to that as a reminder that words and actions matter and you never know what you do that may affect another.

Desert Scorpion always knew she wanted her own identity in SASS; no cutesy play on Creeker crew or sound alike names. 

She was her own shooter and tried her best to be her own individual on the posse.

We were in Tombstone at Bordertown - she was maybe 12 or 13 at the time.  And I managed to shoot a pretty good stage; she came up to me and gave me a big hug for my performance.  One of the other shooters said, " That's your Dad?"

And my daughter responded, "Yeah, Im Creekers Kid". 

Never really know how your kids view you - knowing she was proud to be my kid meant a lot.

There are many more; but this last one still hits home.  Know Justice was a fellow cowboy shooter whom we lost to brain cancer a number of years back.  

He underwent numerous surgeries and attempted to come back after every one of them; with lessening success everytime.  I and others, Buffalo Sam most notably made every effort to keep Know Justice on the range and allow him to continue to play as long as possible.  Near the end - I would time for Know Justice with my hand wrapped in his suspenders to keep him upright thru the stage - when he was unable to hold his shotgun one handed to load it - we worked out a method where he would keep two hands on his shotgun and I would feed shells into his 97 over his shoulder.  When Know Justice passed and we attended his service; we learned that Know Justice had written his own eulogy - he didn't mention his children, his church, his long career; Know Justice used his last words on this mortal plane to say thank you to me and Buffalo Sam for the support and love we had shown him. 

I don't know how to even aspire to higher praise than that.

Ron was a great person I shot with him years ago  when the Nashoba valley Regulators were active and with the Bartlett Bounty Hunters. We traveled to Heluva Ruckus  as the Justice posse.  When he moved out west he asked us to send him some New England Rocks for his front yard so we shipped a crate full.

Best Wishes TJB

30 minutes ago, Texas Jack Black said:

Ron was a great person I shot with him years ago  when the Nashoba valley Regulators were active and with the Bartlett Bounty Hunters. We traveled to Heluva Ruckus  as the Justice posse.  When he moved out west he asked us to send him some New England Rocks for his front yard so we shipped a crate full.

Best Wishes TJB

I loved Ron dearly.  Still miss him everyday.

I've been saying for years that it's more important to look good than shoot good.  :)  I probably would have forgotten about this if I hadn't found it on an old VHS.  The compliment is from Panama Jack Murdock in the first 5 seconds, you can stop it after that.

I was shooting on a stage where you shot out of a jail with bars and a narrow opening.  Evil Roy was my TO.  I carefully placed myself so I could lean left or right and hit all the targets and also easily reholster my revolvers.  I shot the stage well and at the end ER said "You've been shooting awhile haven't you?"  I felt honored by ER's compliment.

Several years ago I was shooting a monthly match at Wartrace. Mr Black and his family were there to get some range time in before the State Match. He came up to me as I was putting away my guns after a pretty good stage and said “I’ve never seen an Old Man shoot Duelist that fast”.  I think that was a compliment?:rolleyes::)

Randy

In 2010 at the Shootout at 5 Dogs Creek I was awarded Spirit of the Game and to receive something like that I'm proud to say I still feel good about it.

3 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

For me, I guess what gives me the best feel goods is when I've helped or worked with a shooter and they're able to use that to their advantage. Makes me feel good when they gain speed or start to climb the ranks or whoop up on me. 

I’ve had that happen too and I like it as well!

Randy 

4 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

For me, I guess what gives me the best feel goods is when I've helped or worked with a shooter and they're able to use that to their advantage. Makes me feel good when they gain speed or start to climb the ranks or whoop up on me. 

Indeed.  More than once. Even better when your student wins EOT :P

1 minute ago, Dutch Coroner said:

For me, it’s when I have shooters say:  “Great match, great stages!”

This...

Plus learning that folks request to shoot on my posse...but that's probably because I'm usually found with Anita Margarita.  

:wub:

I would have to say the last two years being Posse. Marshall at Gunsmoke….and receiving a spirit of the game award. I was surprised and humbled both times. Those two awards mean more than if I ever won a class or a match.

We've been at this a while and have seen several shooters grow up from junior shooters to adults.  We've been flattered to have been considered family by two amazing young people, both previous/current state champions, and to have been guests at their weddings - one of which was just yesterday.  I got a very nice compliment from the groom yesterday thanking us for all we've done for CAS because without our friendship and encouragement, he would not have so much of what was apparent at yesterday's ceremony where his "cowboy family" was referred to by their aliases on the posted seating chart, bringing about lots of comments from other guests.  

When I nab a youngster and his whole family gets involved that's the greatest feeling.

We'll all be at TBones Comin' at Cha this next week.

IMG_20210523_085224295.jpg

Yep! Getting involved into SASS then having The Wife, Son, Daughter, Son-in-Law, Daughter-In-Law, Grand Daughter all involved makes my whole day. Still have the wife, Son & his wife still involved. I always try & tell these kids that nothing better than Cowboy Action Shooting and being around all our friends cause that's what it's all about the others who are also involved.

GOTTA LOVE SASS PILGRIMS:    Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh Haw & then some more.

“It’s hard to be humble when you’re perfect in every way!”

Seriously, probably my best compliment would be my Regulator badge.  It took a lot of effort and lots of folks’ endorsement for that to happen.

When somebody helps me I like to think it’s because they like me, not because I look like I so desperately need the help.

Many, many years ago, as a reward to our range crew, our club would have a couple of the top shooters (think China Camp, Taggart, Hud) give a clinic to the range crew to help improve their shooting.

I show up with a Henry, 1887 and Schofields.

I believe that it was China Camp that said "Never mind" to me! :D

Archived