SASS Wire Forum

Russian Fort in Hawaii

Subdeacon Joe

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/hawaiian-history-russian-fort-elizabeth

"There’s nothing left of Kaumualiʻi royal compound, but just 50 yards from the imposing bronze statue are the crumbling ruins of the fort he had presided over. Precarious piles of red volcanic rocks form the outer, star-shaped wall, and the remains of a few interior structures. If not for the informational panels at a nearby kiosk, it would be hard to tell what you’re looking at. Perhaps the most impressive part of the fort today is its location, at the mouth of the Waimea River, looking out toward the smaller islands of Niʻihau and Lehua. It’s immediately clear why a fort was built there."

Went to Fort Ross in northern California a few years ago.  They were having some kind of celebration and there were lots of Russians in old sytle clothes and a Russian choir that had flown in for the celebration.

0EB991C5-BAE4-42DC-95EF-4D2C97727573_w1200_r1.thumb.jpg.783cd07df41659da73d4bc4bb26ac849.jpg

16 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Went to Fort Ross in northern California a few years ago.  They were having some kind of celebration and there were lots of Russians in old sytle clothes and a Russian choir that had flown in for the celebration.

0EB991C5-BAE4-42DC-95EF-4D2C97727573_w1200_r1.thumb.jpg.783cd07df41659da73d4bc4bb26ac849.jpg

Do you remember what year and what time of year?  They used to do a living history day a couple of times a year.  Plus the OCA has a Liturgy there on July 4th (been doing it since I think 1925), and ROCOR has a Liturgy on Memorial Day. 

Back in '91, July, a Soviet research ship retraced the exploration of Bering, and they came up to Ft. Ross from San Francisco.  Quite the bash. 

Also some big goings on in 2012 for the 200th anniversary of the founding of it.  Big thing was the official unveiling of the rebuilt windmill.

In that photo, the path that leads to the wall, and then through the park and out the west gate used to be Highway 1.

39 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

First they invade Ukraine and now Hawaii!

YOU MAY HAVE THAT BACKWARDS.  :D

1 minute ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

I thought about it and it is longer ago than I initially remembered.  It would have been in 2013.

"I'm at that age where everything I think happened 2 years ago really happened 10 to 20 years ago."

I know that song.

I visited the site in February of 2006 on a two week vacation to Hawaii. We went to Oahu to see Pearl Harbor and whatnot, then stayed on Kauai for the remainder of the trip.

48 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

"I'm at that age where everything I think happened 2 years ago really happened 10 to 20 years ago."

I know that song.

Steven Wright send to do bits on that: “You know the other day, oh wait, it was a few years ago.” and “About five years ago, no wait, it was Tuesday”.

Seamus 

3 minutes ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

I visited the site in February of 2006 on a two week vacation to Hawaii. We went to Oahu to see Pearl Harbor and whatnot, then stayed on Kauai for the remainder of the trip.

Back when I was there in the 1950s the superstructure of the Arizona was still sticking out of the water.  When they built the memorial they cut off everything.  The memorial is wonderful but the sight of the actual wreck was awe inspiring and seeing the actual destruction and violence of the explosion is an image that the memorial simply cannot convey.

Archived