SASS Wire Forum

The Beginning of the End?

Went by a local gun shop today and for the first time in a long time they had gotten in several used guns.  I found two that I really liked.  A year ago I would have bought at least one.  Two years ago I would have purchased both.  This year I walked out with nothing.  I do not know whether to feel good or bad.  :(

Temp, bp and heart rate good? Any head injury lately? Mix up some meds?

Or, like me, trying to maintain marital bliss and not be afraid to go to sleep?

7 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

Temp, bp and heart rate good? Any head injury lately? Mix up some meds?

Or, like me, trying to maintain marital bliss and not be afraid to go to sleep?

Yeah, that marital bliss thing can be pretty important. ;)

What usually happens to me is a buy a gun that I want and within a couple of days I find a really good deal or I find a gun I have been wanting for a long time. Murphy’s a bastage! Anyway, this is where the marital bliss thing gets real important. I like living with the perforations god gave me. I do not need any extras. 

14 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Went by a local gun shop today and for the first time in a long time they had gotten in several used guns.  I found two that I really liked.  A year ago I would have bought at least one.  Two years ago I would have purchased both.  This year I walked out with nothing.  I do not know whether to feel good or bad.  :(

It’s happening to me too, I’ve reached an age where I really have enough guns and I enjoy shooting all of them. I’ve been getting rid of “safe queens” the last couple years. Unless something really hits me like a brick I’m not buying anything.

I think everyone with a functioning brain is taking a second look at every purchase they make.  My wife and I curtailed our spending during the original Covid lock-downs, paid off a couple of things, and restructured our spending habits.  We have continued to maintain many of those habits.

Do we still buy stuff we don't need?  Yes, we are just pickier about which items those are and how often we do that.

We still travel to out-of- state matches, albeit we are a little more frugal with our travel budget.  Overall, our spending is down probably 30% from before Covid, and the vast majority of that is the discretionary spending.  In times of uncertainty, it just makes sense.

While some would argue that in times of high inflation, the smart thing to do is BUY, BUY, BUY, do it with borrowed money, and pay it back with the inflated dollars, but to me that is a good way to end up broke and with nothing.

We've been doing things to the cabin while we can. Family history says this is my last decade so I want everything done. Our spending has been in that direction. I've cut back on shooting quite a bit, only bought two guns this year. Need to sell a couple in the back row now.

I no longer "need" things I won't use.

I have recently sold over 100 of my personal guns because they were just collecting dust in safes (and prices were ridiculous).

I don't need that many safe queens.

I don't hunt anymore.

I kept cowboy guns and back ups for myself, Painted Lady, Desert Scorpion and Cadillac.

I kept my house guns, ccw guns, a couple AR's and defensive shotguns.

I kept trap guns for myself and Scorpion.

I kept a few "Just because" guns and a few of my Dad's guns.

My Grandpas Colt.

My Great Grandpa's single shot shotgun.

I just added another ccw gun because I have always wanted the caliber and got a fair deal.  357 Sig.

And I'm sure when the Springfield Hi Powers become more available - Ill add one.

But I think the last few years, with Covid, injuries and the reminders of our mortality - my desire to just accumulate stuff has diminished and I would rather spend the money on travel, new toys for my Can Am Spyder or dirt bikes for my grandsons.

I just recently bought a police trade in Sig P239, in .357 Sig.  That's the first gun I've bought in over two years.  What I want is either illegal in Connecticut or I just can't bring myself to spend the amount of money they're asking for the gun.

It doesn't help that prices on virtually everything are through the roof and a bargain is rare these days.  I continue to look and occasionally I'll bid on a gun, but if I don't win the bid it's no longer a big deal.

The end or the new beginning - we'll know more after the next election.  Prices are kind of scary - filled one tank on the truck topped off the other, a C note.  Groceries up considerably.  Haven't seen any gun I really craved in a while, a few I'd be interested in ridiculously pricey.  Stuff, trying to whittle down stuff we kept and moved just because we could.  Health, after a certain age, kinda like a roller coaster, has its highs and lows. Rolling pretty good at the moment.  

Afterthought: the 357 SIG is an amazing cartridge.  I was sold when I hit a Rattler with a hollow point self defense round and blew its head clean off, something my 45 Auto simply will not do, that just takes a chunk out.

I did the same thing today.  A good store is 1 mile from my house.  I went in for a tool, but they didn't have it.  I looked for a certain remington shell my son likes for trap matches for the school but they didn't have it.  The guy showed me a cool ruger pcc in 5.7 with folding stock but I let it go.  My son begged me to get a howa in 308 they had, but I walked out with nothing.   I did buy a used governor for 600 a different store had recently but otherwise I try to sell one every now and then. 

My kids don't like most of what I have so no reason to keep them for them.  

As much as I enjoy shooting I've never had the desire to have tons of guns. I do have what I need to compete and a backup for everything. Also some other guns not for competition but that I  wanted, along with ccw and home defense. Sure, to people who aren't shooters or maybe have one gun, they think I have a bunch. I shoot 1911s a lot but only have two. I'd get one more if I saw the right one but don't  want 20 of them. 

13 hours ago, Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L said:

I think everyone with a functioning brain is taking a second look at every purchase they make.

This. Exactly this. Well, at least like you mention... everyone with a functioning brain.

18 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

Family history says this is my last decade so I want everything done.

I'm headed for a bypass in a week, doc says might buy 10 years.
This does bring the end-of-trail into clear focus.

I only have one safe queen, a Savage 243 varmint that was supplanted on the low end by a 223, and the high end by a 30-06.

I do my best to convince my Mrs. that all the gun purchases are "investments against inflation".   I buy most of my stuff off gunbroker, and only if I can catch a break with a fairly low price.   I only win about one out of probably 50 things I bid on, I'm just counting on everyone else to be ignoring the item.

My theory is that I should be able to sell them for at least what I paid for them.   Naturally I help myself by ignoring the shipping and FFL transfer costs....

My wife and I were talking about this just this morning. I told her that I wanted a Glock 43X or a Glock 48 but before I did anything in regards to buying I would rent them and see if I really do want one or do I just like the idea of having one. 

7 hours ago, bgavin said:

I'm headed for a bypass in a week, doc says might buy 10 years.
This does bring the end-of-trail into clear focus.

I only have one safe queen, a Savage 243 varmint that was supplanted on the low end by a 223, and the high end by a 30-06.

Good luck, a friend of mine had it done last year. He says he feels better than ever!

Thanks!
That is encouraging, as of now, my get-up-and-go has got-up-and-went.
I'm not looking forward to 3~6 months of recovery time.

The 243 is buyers' remorse.
I wanted a prairie dog rifle, and was led astray by the superior ballistics of the 243.
After the fact, I found out the number of cartridges I planned on shooting on a dog hunt would soon burn out the barrel.
I stocked up on SuperPerformance factory ammo which is loaded hot.

I picked up a Ruger Alaskan in 44 mag, just for the sheer fun of it.

No regrets on that one... and it was one of those "I don't need any more guns" things that wound up in my hands anyway.
Gun purchases here in CA are a royal PITA with delays and paperwork, which also cuts way down on impulse buys.

Archived