SASS Wire Forum

Titegroup using 180 Gr bullets

Redeye Rock

Has anyone used Titegroup with a 180 gr bullet in a 44 Special?  I have been using 200 gr but was wanting to try the 180 gr in my Marlin 94, but can't find any load data for the 180 gr using Titegroup.   Any help would be appreciated.

I load 4.5 gr of titegroup in 44-40 and 44 magnum with either 200 or 180gr bullets. You can probably go a little lighter in 44 special due to less case capacity. fyi same load using clean shot.

2 hours ago, Redeye Rock said:

Has anyone used Titegroup with a 180 gr bullet in a 44 Special?  I have been using 200 gr but was wanting to try the 180 gr in my Marlin 94, but can't find any load data for the 180 gr using Titegroup.   Any help would be appreciated.

Howdy Redeye.  The reason you don't see Titegroup data for 180gr is that they only show data for jacketed 180gr.  They do list data with Titegroup for 185gr cast bullet.  Use that.  I just went through the same thing looking for Clays data for 180gr bullet in 44 Spcl.

The Oregon Trail Bullet Company / Laser Cast Reloading Manual lists a range of cowboy loads for the 200 Grain Cast with six different powders.  A good starting point.  If you you are interested and can't find the book, it is apparently both rare and popular, PM me and I'll send you a snapshot of the 44 page.

3 minutes ago, Bull Skinner said:

Enter 44 Spl, 185 grain bullet, check titegroup in powder window. Waalaa! 

starting load: 4.0 grains, max load: 5.5 grains

On 9/15/2022 at 10:10 AM, Rip Snorter said:

The Oregon Trail Bullet Company / Laser Cast Reloading Manual lists a range of cowboy loads for the 200 Grain Cast with six different powders.  A good starting point.  If you you are interested and can't find the book, it is apparently both rare and popular, PM me and I'll send you a snapshot of the 44 page.

https://oregontrailbullets.com/xcart/images/filemanager/uploads/otbc-load-manual.pdf

3 minutes ago, PowerRiverCowboy said:

I've had this manual since they came out with it and I like it a lot.  No jacketed bullet data, just cast.  However, a lot of what they call cowboy loads are somewhat heavier than many use.  For example, they only list "Cowboy" data for 158gr bullets in .38 spcl. They do list 125 gr bullet data, but only a couple are under 800 fps. 

Archived