SASS Wire Forum

9mm single action from Taylors

Paper Chaser

Legal so long as it loaded with unjacketed LEAD bullets.  As per Abilene, except for classique Cowperson.

PS:  With 9mm loaded down, it's sort of like a Non-Fat, Skim Milk, Decaf, Sugar Free Latte >= Why Bother.

So why would this be legal?  It was a semi auto round developed in 1901.  I do not know of any SAAs that shot it back then. Is this a joke or have we altered history like the rest of the country,

23 minutes ago, Colonel Lou said:

So why would this be legal?  It was a semi auto round developed in 1901.  I do not know of any SAAs that shot it back then. Is this a joke or have we altered history like the rest of the country,

Because the rules say it's legal ;)

7 minutes ago, Colonel Lou said:

Cowboy Action Shooting has never been entirely about re-enactment, or historically "correct".   The first CAS match was won by a shooter (SASS #94), shooting a .30 Carbine Blackhawk.   Although rifle calibers in a revolver are no longer allowed, any pistol caliber that can be commonly found in a revolver has been legal for a long time.

Ruger has offered the 9mm, .32 H&R Mag, .40 S&W, 10mm, and 45acp in revolvers for many years.  Colt and S&W have been making .45acp revolvers since WWI.  All these calibers are SASS-legal.  The .357 Magnum didn't arrive until 1935 - it is SASS legal.  The .44 Magnum wasn't developed until 1954 - it is SASS legal.  The 454 Casull is SASS-legal, (if the revolver meets SASS standards).  (All these late-comers are SASS legal if loaded to SASS specs.)

"Revolver Calibers - Must be centerfire calibers of at least .32 caliber and no larger than .45 caliber or percussion calibers of at least .36 caliber and no larger than .45 caliber.

- Must be in a caliber commonly available in revolvers. Examples include, but are not limited to, .32-20, .32 Magnum, .357 Magnum, .38 Special, .44 Magnum, .44- 40, and .45 Colt."  SHB Pg 37 

I say that I'd love to have the 9mm. A decade and more ago 38 spl brass used to be readily available all over as most LEO academy's were still training on wheel guns. Now it's all semi auto so the 38 has been getting more and more difficult to find and a lot more expensive. Whereas now the 9mm is the go to for LEOs and you can get it all over by just picking it up off the ground for nothing. It'd be easy to develop a CAS load for one. I've had a backorder in for the Ruger Talo set with one of my distributors for over a year just for this reason.

JEL

21 minutes ago, John E. Law said:

I say that I'd love to have the 9mm. A decade and more ago 38 spl brass used to be readily available all over as most LEO academy's were still training on wheel guns. Now it's all semi auto so the 38 has been getting more and more difficult to find and a lot more expensive. Whereas now the 9mm is the go to for LEOs and you can get it all over by just picking it up off the ground for nothing. It'd be easy to develop a CAS load for one. I've had a backorder in for the Ruger Talo set with one of my distributors for over a year just for this reason.

JEL

Good point.  There is no competitive advantage to a 9mm compared to the .38 Special.

1 hour ago, Colonel Lou said:

SASS is not a "period correct" game.  In fact, part of the game can be "Sunday at the matinee."  There are only a few categories that required historical authenticity.  For Pete's sake, the Ruger Vaquero didn't exist then and it dominates the game!

Archived