SASS Wire Forum

Vernors!!!

I largely lost my sense of taste about a year ago - NOT Covid related.

Couldn't taste the spiciness of ginger ales.  Not Canada Dry, not Schweppes. none of them.

Then I had a flashback to my childhood in Buffalo, and a Christmas box my aunt sent every year after we moved to MA.  The box included a six pack of Vernors.  Didn't care much for it as a kid, but the sharpness of the ginger flavor still reaches my taste buds today.  And its available on Amazon.  I'm in Vernor's heaven!!!

LL

614f15c2-d182-4dc6-90da-483ac67424db.bb3fe6da5c8a9d85a41a2cc92c763132.webp

Vernon’s was the staple ginger ale in our family when I was a lad. Good stuff!

Vernor’s is my choice for ginger ale.  Basically more of everything I want in ginger ale.

It’s available locally in cans and two liters.  It’s best in glass bottles, but I haven’t seen it packaged that way in years, down here.

Growing up in Michigan - Vernors was everywhere (was disgusting then and still is :wacko:).

But they had a plant (don't know if it was manufacturing or bottling) in downtown Detroit that was on a main drag in the heart of the city (I was a kid - don't recall the road).  That plant was about a city block long and the entire front facing the road was glass.  So as you passed by, you would see all the huge diameter polished tubing that transported the Vernors around the plant and all the workers dressed in white uniforms.  Always reminded this kid of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (the Gene Wilder version; Johnny Depp had yet to desecrate the memory).

Always looked forward to seeing Vernors, the giant Uniroyal tire and watch the counting board at Ford Motor Company announcing another car being built when we went to Detroit.

Although I have never Been a fan of any kind of soda, ginger ale has always been an exception.  Anytime we had a stomach ache mom would give us ginger ale. I just recently started drinking Canada Dry again. I like Vernon’s but it’s just a tad strong. 

When I was going through chemo, that's all I would drink.  It was about the only thing I could keep down, besides water.  We had a store in Cali called Smart and Final.  They usually had really good deals on it so I would stock up.  Love the stuff.

1 hour ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

I've always liked Vernors, back in the 60's it was l lot stronger. I think they sold out and the new owners made a cheaper product.

It’s still more effervescent and the ginger flavor is richer/stronger than any of the others.

On 9/14/2022 at 5:56 PM, Buckshot Bob said:

That’s everywhere here in Michigan 

I was young but I remember my folks buying Vernors and Squirt for their mixed drinks. We moved to Indiana and left them both behind. Vernors is here now though.

28 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

I was young but I remember my folks buying Vernors and Squirt for their mixed drinks. We moved to Indiana and left them both behind. Vernors is here now though.

When I was a kid and anyone was sick their mothers would always try to pump them full of Vernors  and chicken soup. Vernors , Fago pop and Koegel’s used to be a pretty regional thing. I have a uncle who moved to AZ many years ago who still wants Koegel hot dogs shipped to him.

I never cared much for Ginger ale - I got (as a special treat) a cap full of Polish Blackberry  Brandy or Chokecherry wine or even better Cherry Kijafa.  These would taste great - tangy and just yummy - Also, you can put them (one shot glass full) on ice cream as a topping.

Made the day a bit nicer.

STL Suomi

On 9/14/2022 at 2:21 PM, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Then I had a flashback to my childhood in Buffalo...

My wife is from N. Tonawanda
She remembers all the wonderful regional foods and products that are unavailable here.

6 hours ago, bgavin said:

She remembers all the wonderful regional foods and products that are unavailable here.

Mmmm...braided German bread warm from Mueller's bakery, fasnachts on Shrove Tuesday and sponge candy; things I cannot get here.  I lived in Tonawanda for part of  my childhood.

LL

16 hours ago, bgavin said:

The engine in my 69 Camaro had a Team Tonawanda sticker on it! Wow, almost felt my long hair (long gone ..) blowing in the wind.

What was the original topic again?

1 hour ago, bgavin said:

Regional foods.

My home town is Boise... nothing memorable or regional from there.
However... the VERY best steak we have ever had was local grown in Marfa, TX.

I immediately thought of Ore Ida Tater Tots when you said Boise; unfortunately, that company has been repeatedly sold, most recently to Heinz.  Somehow, Tater Tots don't seem synonymous with...Pittsburgh.  :angry:

LL

Sugar beets is the real product of ID.
JR Simplot was the potato/beet king... he was one of my Dad's patients, along with Joe Albertson.

Paul Revere, also.. he wound up buying my grandfathers old victorian and turned it into a medical parking lot.

36 minutes ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

I immediately thought of Ore Ida Tater Tots when you said Boise; unfortunately, that company has been repeatedly sold, most recently to Heinz.  Somehow, Tater Tots don't seem synonymous with...Pittsburgh.  :angry:

LL

Tater tots and the infamous tri tater were staples in the school lunch line 

We brought back three cases from out MI St Championship trip. I like it with Irish whiskey and a splash of Roses lime juice. Or just plain over ice. Nothing else tastes like it. It’s bold, but it’s not exactly the same since it changed hands.

On 9/14/2022 at 7:33 PM, Blackwater 53393 said:

Vernor’s is my choice for ginger ale.  Basically more of everything I want in ginger ale.

It’s available locally in cans and two liters.  It’s best in glass bottles, but I haven’t seen it packaged that way in years, down here.

I grew up in northern Ohio and I used to drink Vernors all the time.  After I moved away I would literally load the trunk of my car with 8-packs of 16 oz. bottles of Vernors when I would come back to visit my parents.  I was always worried about getting rear ended and the first responders thinking it was a hazardous waste spill when they would see all of the Vernors foaming out of the trunk.

I'm mildly diabetic now so I can't drink it like I used to, but over the weekend I found a 12 pack of cans at a beer distributor and now I'm slowly enjoying it for old time's sake. 

Archived