SASS Wire Forum

Trusted restoration company?

Tallboy

Hey,

I have a slicked-up Uberti 1873 which physically is an amazing rifle, but the wood is quite ugly and plain, and looks like cheap plastic.

The color case hardening is also very ugly and dull, pretty much like grey soup.

I would like to send the gun off to get the stock re-finished like an actual Winchester, with a deep pretty oil-finished wood that doesn't look cheap, and with original color case hardening.

EDIT: See the photo I posted in the next post for example of how I'd love for it to look (or close to it). The photo below may actually be blued instead of case-color. I'm OK with that too. The photo below is literally perfect.

I know there's Turnbull, but I already have a gun sent to them and I don't want both my favorite guns to look exactly the same like a Turnbull.

After calling around a few random places on Google... they don't inspire confidence on the phone, especially with very few (low quality) photos on their site.

Who would be your go-to company or individual to recommend, if price weren't an issue?

Thanks!

Well, Winchester's original stock finish was actually a Filled, Redish hued stain.  Not just plain oil.  True Color Case Hardening is as much an "Art" and requires some serious skills.  This doesn't really help your plight, but I do wish you luck in your quest.

Just now, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Well, Winchester's original stock finish was actually a Filled, Redish hued stain.  Not just plain oil.  True Color Case Hardening is as much an "Art" and requires some serious skills.  This doesn't really help your plight, but I do wish you luck in your quest.

About the color case hardening... I agree. I don't know what's involved but I know it must be hard based on the galleries of some of the companies I see (very yikes results). I do see 1-2 companies though that had good looking results. Overall I don't really need very flashy even.......... honestly making it look like the photo below would also be great to me, which looks like plain blued.

Good point on the wood grain. Regarding wood polish/oil I know absolutely nothing about that. All I know is I'd like for it to look good, kind of like this:

rs-8784-Winchester-1873-354438B_IMG_9056

Price is always an issue.  It's just if you are willing to pay for what you get !

Longhunter Supply - I've seen their color case results, and would be proud to have them do it. 

They might also be talked into refinishing your stock.  That would be DIY for me.

Another one stop shop, for gorgeous work on metal and wood, Run-N-Iron in Nebraska.  They specialize in refinish and restoration work.

good luck, GJ

I've had two Colt SAA refinished by Springs Creek Armory in Ten Sleep Wyoming.  He has worked on lever guns.  I don't know about refinishing lever guns.  

https://springcreekarmory.com/

1080125033_BillFuchsbirdheadDec2021.thumb.jpg.304f4eaf53bb1628c30886fdccfdfc83.jpg

Custom birdshead.  (Not mine)

I'm thinking of taking another Colt SAA out later this month.  

For a time I ran a Uberti 1873 that had been refinished with true case colors and an oiled stock.  I bought it that way and the previous owner stated the work had been done by a company called Classic Case Colors LLC.  No receipt for the work but either way whoever did the work made it look beautiful.  Not sure about prices or turn around times. 

I have used Fords Refinishing out of Florida and they do very fine case colors, not sure if they refinish wood though.   

case color pic.jpeg

If you are not apposed to a DYI project there are a number of really good tutorials out there that show how to strip the factory Uberti finish and redo it with a boiled linseed oil finish. 

You could also redo the metal with a product Brownell's sells that allows you to rust blue the finish.  Here is a link to a brief tutorial explaining the rust blue process along with pictures.  Also lots of info on Youtube.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?263978-Slow-Rust-Blue&s=aaab84bedabe0faea6aa891bc0fbf060

Archived