SASS Wire Forum

What gun would you really like to try at a match?

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

11 hours ago, Will Kane said:

My dreams are still pretty pedestrian. A pair of 1860s, an 1860 Henry in 44-40 and an 1887 lever shotgun.

If you’re going to Land Run, I could let you sample mine. The 1860s will be for sale- .44 cal Cap & Ball. I also have a Henry and Win 87 as you describe 

I've never had the chance to try a Colt Lightning rifle. I always thought in the back of my mind that they would be faster than a lever action, although real competittion hasn't borne that out.

Someone above mentioned a Merwin & Hulbert, and I'd like to try one of those, too.

On 9/15/2022 at 7:42 AM, Warden Callaway said:

They had a Gatlin gun at one of the matches in Higginville Missouri.  Intermixed in this video.

Thanks for sharing that -- that's my old home range. I was shooting there before they put the cowboy specific bays out along the creek. I'm retiring later this yeaer and I hope to go back to shooting there monthly.

I did get to shoot a Gatling gun, once, at the former Missouri Riverboat Ride match in Fayette in 2000. J.B. Hodgdon, owner of Hodgdon Powders had his original Gatling there, and they were selling mag-fulls for charity. It was a fun day.

I had a repro .45 Lightning and found that every time you pump it you loose the target and have to reacquire it as the front of the rifle moves all around. With a lever the rear of the gun is pushed into your shoulder and cant move when you lever it so you can keep the sights on your target. It was a neat rifle but not for cas imo. Traded it off. 

6 hours ago, Oddnews SASS# 24779 said:

I've never had the chance to try a Colt Lightning rifle. I always thought in the back of my mind that they would be faster than a lever action, although real competittion hasn't borne that out.

Someone above mentioned a Merwin & Hulbert, and I'd like to try one of those, too.

Lightnings are great!   But they are addictive...

Lightings.thumb.JPG.c6d7c966e0f82e4aad533f975f8ec93b.JPG

On 9/16/2022 at 7:46 AM, Baltimore Ed said:

I had a repro .45 Lightning and found that every time you pump it you loose the target and have to reacquire it as the front of the rifle moves all around. With a lever the rear of the gun is pushed into your shoulder and cant move when you lever it so you can keep the sights on your target. It was a neat rifle but not for cas imo. Traded it off. 

I have to say that this was not my experience.  My favorite Main Match rifle is an AWA Lightning in .45 Colt.  I am faster with it than any of my lever guns.  I also find it easier to acquire the next target.  In fact, while I've never shot a clean match with a lever gun, I've shot a few clean with my Lightning, including End of the Trail.

All that means is everyone is different.  I'll freely admit that the Lightning is not for everyone, but if it is for you, it's a really great gun.  And, there's always a chance that it'll grow on you.

20 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

If you’re going to Land Run, I could let you sample mine. The 1860s will be for sale- .44 cal Cap & Ball. I also have a Henry and Win 87 as you describe 

Thank you, sir. I'm planning on being there and I look forward to meeting you.

I've owned and used most of the "non-mainstream" stuff in matches, but an Evans rifle is high on my bucket list.

My Fox Patent Side Swing was made in the 1870's - I said 1880's in the video.

The French Darne is another real oddball. This one has full-length extractors, not ejectors, although versions with ejectors were also made.

This has been a great thread!  Thanks to everyone for sharing, and I hope it keeps going.  But now, I need to notice something...

Red Hooker said:

(Sigh) Driftwood has the best toys.

To that, I have to reply...

(Sigh)   Why can't anyone say that about me!  :)

And to that end, as it turns out, I happen to have more than a few of the things people have said they want to shoot.  Some things were mentioned by more than one person, so I'll just respond to the first person who mentioned the gun(s)in question.   And so...

Black Angus McPherson said:

I'd like to try a Merwin-Hulbert (sp?) or one of those seven shot rifles that load thru the buttstock the name of which I cannot think of right now.

My rely...

Merwin Hulberts are great guns.  This one is a .44-40.  The Spencer is a GI Surplus Model 1865 in 56-50 Centerfire.  (Converted.)  

1108195171_SpencerandMH.thumb.JPG.67470ac881e23d974a905dba7b4f60d8.JPG

Abilene Smith said: 

Ma Deuce. Browning M1917. BAR. MG42. MP40. Thompson. That’s the gist of it.

Edit: oops, it said at a match. Oh well!

My reply...

Heh heh.   Yeah, those are not really for our game.  The "closest" to us would be the Thompson, around which the very similar game of Zoot Shooting was built.  But which version of the Tommy Gun did you want to try?

1342212321_TommyGuns.thumb.JPG.674ef5bde39c269f2721495821e9cf3a.JPG

Hoss said:

I’d like to be able to use my Win 95 in a long distance side match. 

My reply...

So would I.   Mine's a .30-40, which is a great cartridge.  I don't get why it's not legal.  Well, cuz it doesn't have a tubular magazine.  But I don't see why this gun can't be an exception to the rule.  Technically it would be allowed in the Open category, but I've never seen that offered.

1264795258_Winchester95.thumb.JPG.437f7f8fe19004a1b23ef52313ac0888.JPG

Nimble Fingers said:

At one time there was someone who took original.44-40 92 Winchesters and turned them into the Rifleman models, D ring, the screw, the whole ten yards!

My reply...

Well, I can't get the whole 10 yards, as mine started life as a .38-40, is now a .44 Magnum, doesn't have the screw, the front sights are weird.  Maybe this qualifies for 5 yards?

245056290_BigLoop92.thumb.JPG.2b9026b419ea49e70a30bf19135f1919.JPG 

Noah Mercy said:

I'd like a brace of Schofields...1887 12 gauge with 2 3/4" chamber would be nice as well.

My reply...

The pistol on the left is an Uberti Schofield in .45 Colt.  The one on the right is a Smith and Wesson 2000 in .45 S&W.  The 87 is a modern made Chiappa, so it has the proper chamber length.  Sadly, this configuration is not SASS Legal for some reason, so I only get to use it at one local club that said it would be okay at their monthlies.  Fun as a hoot to shoot!

557583954_87Schofields.thumb.JPG.3b33ccc833e942646bb151c752d4e5df.JPG

Lawdog Dago Dom said: 

I would like to try SxS shotguns from about 5 or 6 different manufacturers.  

Same with rifles.

My reply...

I can't do 5 or 6.  Is 3 okay?

From top to bottom:  Parker, Fox Sterlingworth, Stevens.

SxSs.thumb.JPG.3a32796a15920098083d5ae98943cb20.JPG

For rifles, if we did different models, I could do 5 or 6, but kept it to three so they could all be the gun.  From top to bottom, Rossi .44 Magnum, Armi San Marco .45 Colt and Winchester .32-20

849829385_392s.thumb.JPG.6177296e41e929a5245d4b8b6f15dc01.JPG

Driftwood Johnson said:

Personally, I would like to shoot a match with a Winchester Model 1873 and two Colt Bisleys, all chambered for 38-40.

My reply...

I can't do .38-40.

But I can do .32-20.

And in the near future, ,I will have a second Bisley in this caliber.  The "new" one is nickled, but otherwise identical to the one pictured.  And since I know Driftwood's second Bisley is a .44 Special, and that's probably why it's pictured separate, my second pic, while a .32-20, is not a Bisley, so it's separate.

1395646679_73andBisleyCloseup.thumb.JPG.6850569c0487ec5482335c33b984155d.JPG

1550866500_Colt32-20.thumb.JPG.136376be8ffb0c69d292f7e2bb184906.JPG

I tried to frame those similar to the way Driftwood did his pics.   Here's the 73 and Bisley how I like to frame them,

2017385919_73andBisley.thumb.JPG.aa8e7ee0c3e85eec086735ec5419b82d.JPG

Will Kane said:

A pair of 1860s, an 1860 Henry in 44-40 and an 1887 lever shotgun.

My reply...

The Henry is an Uberti in .44-40.   The Colts are both converted.  The one on the left is a genuine vintage Colt, now in .32S&W Long.  The one on the right is a Pietta in .45 Colt.  The 1887 is a real Winchester.

1402504203_Henry1860s1887.thumb.JPG.4856cfec731c9ff0965684319e946093.JPG

Possum Stu mentioned several things.  His truncated list to things I have and have not been mentioned before are as follows:

I'd love to try, in no particular order:

Any sawn-off 12 gauge SXS 

Colt Dragoons

1858 Remingtons

My reply...

The Dragoon is a Colt 2nd Gen with a drop on .45 Colt cylinder

The Parker is sawed off, cuz it has 19" barrels, but it's factory letter said it left there with 30" ones.

The 1858 Remington on the left is a real one, one that left the factory in its converted state, in .38 Long Colt.  The one on the right is a modern Uberti, converted to the same caliber.

924914220_DragoonParker58s.thumb.JPG.13a8ad5ed228160a7856a2011ff633e4.JPG

Baltimore Ed said:

Would love to shoot my Webleys in a SASS regional match. I know the Mk VI is too new but the Metropolitan Police isn't.

My reply...

Is it?  If there was ever a side match for "Frontier DA's," in .45, think of the Webley Marks I-IV as 1st Generation Colts, the Mark V as 2nd Gen, and the me Mark VI as a 3rd Gen.  Think of the Mark IV 38's as akin to Rugers.

The Mark IV .38 and the 2 Mark VI's I used to use in Pre-SASS rules Wild Bunch matches from time to time.  Never used the V, but well, I like Webleys.  :)

Webleys.thumb.JPG.788913651c7a5da5b38cef94307e0a9c.JPG

Slapshot said:

For me it would be 1875 Remington's

My reply...

To me, the 75 Remington is the gun that is "not a Colt," but that is more similar to a Colt than almost anything else.  This is an Uberti replica in .45 Colt.

1272172959_75Remington.thumb.JPG.e35387092fb57f96eff65a1a0a757eed.JPG

What else is on people's wish list to shoot?  If I have one, I'll loan it to you if you ever come to New England and ask nicely.  :)

I want to shoot a pair of Patersons, .36 cal C&B, an 1860 Henry, and a Colt 1878 Shotgun!   Oh wait... I already do... (albeit substituting 1851s for the Patersons replicas, but that's ok for me)!

On 9/14/2022 at 7:42 PM, Nimble Fingers SASS# 25439 said:

At one time there was someone who took original.44-40 92 Winchesters and turned them into the Rifleman models, D ring, the screw, the whole ten yards!  I was going to try and get one but he disappeared. I wouldn’t want to twirl it as much as try to recreate the opening by going thru ten rounds like Chuck Connors did. 

I was heavily into The Rifleman series just before I found SASS.

I bought a Henry large loop and commenced to try spinning that thing. It isn't as easy as Chuck Connors made it appear.

14 minutes ago, Waimea said:

I was heavily into The Rifleman series just before I found SASS.

I bought a Henry large loop and commenced to try spinning that thing. It isn't as easy as Chuck Connors made it appear.

“16 92s are the best for spinning. I have a Browning 92 with a quasi large loop that kind of worked, but JW Commemorative 92 works better for me but I am 6’1”. I used to do it with a 94 large loop and that took some extra arm movements. Nate Kiowa Jones works miracles with 92s, I want to give him a Rossi 92 with a 24” octagon barrel in .44 mag and have it done like the “Henrys” John Wayne handles on The Commancheros movie. One of these days, that and a Mare’s Leg like the first model used in Wanted Dead or Alive. 

14 minutes ago, Nimble Fingers SASS# 25439 said:

“16 92s are the best for spinning. I have a Browning 92 with a quasi large loop that kind of worked, but JW Commemorative 92 works better for me but I am 6’1”. I used to do it with a 94 large loop and that took some extra arm movements. Nate Kiowa Jones works miracles with 92s, I want to give him a Rossi 92 with a 24” octagon barrel in .44 mag and have it done like the “Henrys” John Wayne handles on The Commancheros movie. One of these days, that and a Mare’s Leg like the first model used in Wanted Dead or Alive. 

My above pictured 92 with the big loop has a 17 inches and change barrel.   I am 5'8"  When I put the money down to purchase the thing, making it officially mine, I tried to spin it.  I did!  I felt so cool.  So I tried it again.  Front sight grabbed my shirt and tore it open and gave me a nice scratch.   I then remembered that Chuck Conners and John Wayne were both over 6 feet tall, with correspondingly longer arms, and were usually using a 14 or 15 inch barrel,   I've never tried to spin that rifle again.

1765042316_MaresLeg.thumb.JPG.264ea983cc6598d9c0e33f13a98c8545.JPG

On the other hand, this Mares Leg is a lot of fun to spin!   Tried it with snap caps, and the cap clattered away from the rifle on the spin, so it won't "work" in trying to do it for real.   This is a Chiappa, .44 Magnum.   Came with a smaller D shaped lever that is not "spinnable."   This is their after market "Rio Bravo" lever.

Fun gun to shoot.   Shot a clean match with it once.   Note:  Not SASS Legal.   Some clubs will let you use them if you ask, and others will not.   Always ask before you go.

120653713_TerminatorShotgun.thumb.JPG.99afb56b04a130c5c802d4309ab35e99.JPG

Don't wanna try spinning this one either.  For one thing, it doesn't have a big loop.  Story goes that on the T2 set, there were more than one of these things.  The one he spun had a large loop, and different sources say it was not even a real gun, just a light weight prop.   One time, Arnold picked up one with a "stock" lever, that was a functional shotgun and tried to spin it.  Nearly broke his hand!

1910606979_LightningBolt.thumb.JPG.4cba71b1d8a5ab1b85f14451fe03c820.JPG

Can't spin this either, but you gotta be "complete."  :)

3 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

My above pictured 92 with the big loop has a 17 inches and change barrel.   I am 5'8"  When I put the money down to purchase the thing, making it officially mine, I tried to spin it.  I did!  I felt so cool.  So I tried it again.  Front sight grabbed my shirt and tore it open and gave me a nice scratch.   I then remembered that Chuck Conners and John Wayne were both over 6 feet tall, with correspondingly longer arms, and were usually using a 14 or 15 inch barrel,   I've never tried to spin that rifle again.

1765042316_MaresLeg.thumb.JPG.264ea983cc6598d9c0e33f13a98c8545.JPG

On the other hand, this Mares Leg is a lot of fun to spin!   Tried it with snap caps, and the cap clattered away from the rifle on the spin, so it won't "work" in trying to do it for real.   This is a Chiappa, .44 Magnum.   Came with a smaller D shaped lever that is not "spinnable."   This is their after market "Rio Bravo" lever.

Fun gun to shoot.   Shot a clean match with it once.   Note:  Not SASS Legal.   Some clubs will let you use them if you ask, and others will not.   Always ask before you go.

120653713_TerminatorShotgun.thumb.JPG.99afb56b04a130c5c802d4309ab35e99.JPG

Don't wanna try spinning this one either.  For one thing, it doesn't have a big loop.  Story goes that on the T2 set, there were more than one of these things.  The one he spun had a large loop, and different sources say it was not even a real gun, just a light weight prop.   One time, Arnold picked up one with a "stock" lever, that was a functional shotgun and tried to spin it.  Nearly broke his hand!

1910606979_LightningBolt.thumb.JPG.4cba71b1d8a5ab1b85f14451fe03c820.JPG

Can't spin this either, but you gotta be "complete."  :)

The thing I have possibly in common with them is my height is in my torso and arms. Made it easier to twirl the 20” commemorative and the Browning. Never saw Josh Randall twirl his Mare’s Leg, just fire three bullets fast out of it.  That’s why I wouldn’t put JW style lever on it.  I just love the guns my western hero’s.  One day I will get a copy of Gene Barry’s pistol in Bat Masterson. And speaking of levers, in Stagecoach, JW had a big D lever, then after that he kept using the “squashed” D. And in El Dorado, he had his and it looked like Johnny Crawford borrowed the Rifleman’s rifle , because it had the D along with the “screw” to fire the trigger, to Robert Mitchum. 
who designed the change on the John Wayne style large loop. Probably been answered before but don’t remember. 

28 minutes ago, Tom Bullweed said:

An original Colt Lightning rifle in .38WCF.

I had one in .32 WCF but those small rounds bounced around on the carrier.  I expect the larger cartridge would be better.

Hm...    I've got one in .32-20. and it doesn't have that problem.  I wonder if something was wrong with it?  

On 9/15/2022 at 3:57 PM, Baltimore Ed said:

Would love to shoot my Webleys in a SASS regional match. I know the Mk VI is too new but the Metropolitan Police isn't.  I’ve shot a Gatling and Maxim at the EOT I attended years ago. I’ll probably shoot them in a week at my club’s shoot in honor of the Queen. 

18E4EE04-E774-4443-BA16-C7A635ACDA5E.jpeg

CE553556-6709-4276-9E59-A97D4C336AA0.jpeg

Shot mine years ago at a match in NH and it was a hoot!  I didn’t shoot for score but I also shot them single action using BP-loaded 45ACP rounds.     

Archived