SASS Wire Forum

What gun would you really like to try at a match?

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

There are a lot of guns that are things that would seem to fit in our game that we can't use.   By that I mean one of several things.   The simplest meaning is that while the gun in question is perfectly acceptable in our game, you just don't own one.   There are may reasons why you may not, from something simple as you've just never purchased one, to something more "exotic" as the gun in question is extremely rare, expensive or both.   Then there are guns that are not allowed in our game, but you think it would be fun to try them.   Even perfectly regular guns that you yourself have just never used.   The possibilities are endless.

Me, I'd love to try an Evans rifle.   It just seems fascinating.   For a shotgun, maybe just once, I'd like to try a hammered double.  For a pistol, maybe a cap and ball revolver.

Of all those things, I do have the pistols.  I'd just have to "unconvert" them and get the things needed to shoot them in that configuration.   I don't have a hammered double, but I suppose at the very least I could borrow one from somebody.   But I doubt I'd ever even see an Evans, let alone be able to afford one!

(For the record, this can be as mundane as shooting original Colts and Winchesters for people who are used to heavily modified modern replicas.)

So what do people think would be fun to try?

(I'm bored...)

Tell A VULCAN isn't very mini at 20mm.I was with aVULCAN unit back in the early 70s.

Largo

I'd like to try a Merwin-Hulbert (sp?) or one of those seven shot rifles that load thru the buttstock the name of which I cannot think of right now.

It is a Spencer I believe

See the source image

I’d like to be able to use my Win 95 in a long distance side match. 

I’d love to shoot a Gatling Gun. 

At one time there was someone who took original.44-40 92 Winchesters and turned them into the Rifleman models, D ring, the screw, the whole ten yards!  I was going to try and get one but he disappeared. I wouldn’t want to twirl it as much as try to recreate the opening by going thru ten rounds like Chuck Connors did. 

Gotta go with a Gatling in 45-70.

Oh yeah!

4 hours ago, Tell Sackett SASS 18436 said:

A Vulcan mini-gun!!

Tell.....just as long as it shoots lead bullets! :lol:

Kajun

I'd like a brace of Schofields, but they're beyond my budget. I've shot them before, just not in competition.

1887 12 gauge with 2 3/4" chamber would be nice as well. They're big and clunky...like me! :D

2 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Gotta go with a Gatling in 45-70.

Oh yeah!

EOT has one each year on 45/70 black powder.

Just now, Diamond Curly SASS#57086 said:

EOT has one each year on 45/70 black powder.

Done it. Decided I wanted my own. :D

If I ever get caught up on my gun cart building I’m going to build one for a gun store owner/ CAS participant that wants to trade me a 9mm Tippman Armory Gatling gun. I’d set it up as a preamble to the beep at matches on a stage or 2 occasionally. Our local range has an annual BBQ and I’d set it up and charge attendees to fire a magazine and split the proceeds with the range. I’d build a wooden carriage for it or a tri pod stand.

79EA8297-42DA-446B-BD74-826EE3071B09.jpeg

I will be the boring post here. 

I would like to try SxS shotguns from about 5 or 6 different manufacturers. All tuned for SASS.

Same with rifles.

If not different manufacturers, then different gunsmiths to see what differences there may be.

6 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

Sawmill Mary's Wider tuned Marlin 1894 in 44WCF.   She will only let me clean it. ;)

It shoots great...

You're Welcome.

Myself I'd like to shoot an 1865 Spencer(or replica) in 56-50(real BP of course)

7 hours ago, Mister Badly said:

Me too.

Mister Badly......... YOU DA MAN!

Jedi Outlaw!    Looks like you got that rifle honed in.     Are you sure you ain't got one of them itty-bitty lasers with

laser guided bullets.   Or is it the Widdermatic?  :lol:

..........Widder

17 hours ago, Black Angus McPherson said:

I'd like to try a Merwin-Hulbert (sp?)

Howdy

Its spelled Merwin Hulbert, without the dash.

plZ28JN4j

pndnxeV3j

pnwLij08j

plEwrV4fj

Personally, I would like to shoot a match with a Winchester Model 1873 and two Colt Bisleys, all chambered for 38-40.

plHq7x5Wj

powK8pO4j

I'd love to try, in no particular order:

A 10 or 8 gauge SXS

1887 Shotgun

Any sawn-off 12 gauge SXS 

Maybe an 1895 Winchester for long range?

Merwin Hulbert revolvers (same configuration as Driftwood posted above)

Freedom Arms revolvers, in one of the .50 calibers, like Special, Wyoming Express, or JRH

Starr C&B revolvers

Colt Dragoons

Schofields

1858 Remingtons

For pocket pistol stages:

1863 Remington Pocket

Webley Bulldog

For derringer stages, a Rossi Garrucha or similar. Something about the SXS barrels and exposed hammers has always appealed to me.

Would love to shoot my Webleys in a SASS regional match. I know the Mk VI is too new but the Metropolitan Police isn't.  I’ve shot a Gatling and Maxim at the EOT I attended years ago. I’ll probably shoot them in a week at my club’s shoot in honor of the Queen. 

18E4EE04-E774-4443-BA16-C7A635ACDA5E.jpeg

CE553556-6709-4276-9E59-A97D4C336AA0.jpeg

On 9/14/2022 at 4:44 PM, Caladisi kid said:

I'd like to try a Merwin-Hulbert (sp?) or one of those seven shot rifles that load thru the buttstock the name of which I cannot think of right now.

It is a Spencer I believe

See the source image

Yep, that's it.  I knew it started with an "S", but my brain kept going "Sharps", no, that ain't it... "Sharps", no, that ain't it..  "Sharps", NO, that ain't it... "Sharps" NO, gol dangit!  It ain't a Sharps!  

Thanks, that was bugging me and I couldn't get my brain to work.

8 hours ago, Driftwood Johnson, SASS #38283 said:

Howdy

Its spelled Merwin Hulbert, without the dash.

plZ28JN4j

pndnxeV3j

pnwLij08j

plEwrV4fj

Personally, I would like to shoot a match with a Winchester Model 1873 and two Colt Bisleys, all chambered for 38-40.

plHq7x5Wj

powK8pO4j

Well, I got the important part right. :D

They just look cool and different.  I'd like to try one some time.  I may hate it, but I'd like to try it.

Oh, and who said "M-2,  BAR, MG42, Thompson, MP 40, Sten..."?  I want to get in line behind that guy.  I thought we were talking cowboy guns.

Angus

I've had a turn on a Gatling gun (25 round straight magazine) so that's off my list.

I'd like to shoot a Long Range match with an original 1885.  Not fussy about caliber...maybe a 40-65 or 45-90.  Then buy it after the match.

Archived