SASS Wire Forum

Should State matches give preference to State residents?

Possum Skinner, SASS#60697

19 minutes ago, July Smith said:

Yeah I get how it's awarded/determined, just don't understand the logic behind it.  I appreciate you all trying to explain it, but this one might be beyond me.  

Think of it a different way, it prevents one person from being the state champion for multiple states.

4 minutes ago, Chantry said:

Think of it a different way, it prevents one person from being the state champion for multiple states.

Why would this be an issue?  If some cowboy/girl wanted to make it a personal goal to travel and win in every state/region good for them.  It's not like being from another state offers a competitive advantage.  

1 minute ago, July Smith said:

Why would this be an issue?  If some cowboy/girl wanted to make it a personal goal to travel and win in every state/region good for them.

That USED TO BE the case.

An individual shooter can still aspire to be OVERALL match winner or 1st place in CATEGORY at any match attended.

A competitor is not considered to be the CHAMPION of a state/region if they are not a RESIDENT of that state/region.

Its my understanding that when a club is sponsoring the State Match, its because SASS has approved and granted that

particular club the right to host that match.

Sooooooo, that club has to follow guidelines/rules within the premise of that approval from SASS.

To deny shooters access to that match which goes beyond SASS approval would negate the match..... if I understand it correctly.

..........Widder

Back in the early days of my 20 year SASS "career", I thought you had to qualify to participate in a State of Above match.  Missed out on shooting in my home state match, which was held at my home club, for a couple of years.  I worked as a waddie at those matches until one year I was asked why I didn't shoot the match and I said, I wasn't good enough to qualify.  They laughed and told me that the only qualification was that my checks cleared!

These days, at least in my experience, most state and above matches are not filling up until the last minute, if at all.  The In-State shooters just need to be paying attention and get their registrations in early in the registration process.  While it might be nice to give the "In-State" shooters a head start with registration, the reality is that it will likely only matter in a very few instances and a very few matches.

Just my $0.02 and that's worth even less these days than it was back then,

Dogmeat

On 9/14/2022 at 2:11 PM, Possum Skinner, SASS#60697 said:

I'm sure this has been addressed at some point in the past, but I got to thinking about this after something a friend said about a certain State Championship being likely to sell out if it was held at one of the venues vying for it.  Should state residents get a chance to sign up for their state match before non-residents?  Say given a set amount of time before it's opened to everyone else?  FYI, this is not a suggestion or a desire.  It's just food for thought.

I say No, first come first served.

Thank you Pale Wolf.  AND, dual residents, whose primary residency, ie:, their driver's license, vehicle license plates, and voter ID is NOT from the state holding the Championship, should NOT be allowed to be the STATE champion.  They can be first overall or first in category, but they are NOT the STATE champion.

29 minutes ago, Lone Spur Jake SASS #7728 said:

Thank you Pale Wolf.  AND, dual residents, whose primary residency, ie:, their driver's license, vehicle license plates, and voter ID is NOT from the state holding the Championship, should NOT be allowed to be the STATE champion.  They can be first overall or first in category, but they are NOT the STATE champion.

Age, gender, and residency are all to be confirmed/determined by the declaration on the individual’s state issued driver’s license or ID.

SHB p.5

I see a couple of responses to the OP that seem to conclude that out-of-state entrants would be denied the ability to enter.  Based on my understanding of the OP, that's not a given.  I wouldn't be for making it so exclusionary that non-residents would be bumped from entry if an "in-state" resident wished to enter at the last minute, after a match had filled up.  Secondarily, how match directors have stuck to their stated entry maximum without making an exception or several?

I can speak to the question of why a State Champion is a protected title to that State's residents.  In the 'way-back' machine there was a shooter from CA that won and received the buckle as the AZ State Champion.  It caused quite a ruckus.  Hence the adoption of the rule.  At the time, I can't even recall that CA had a State Championship... and for the merely curious,  this was before there was a National Championship.  

It used to be up to each state match to decide if they required state residency to be that states champion. A shooter (A) in a state that didn't require residency could come in second and a nonresident buddy (B) who was first would be state champ as a nonresident.  Then they shoot in shooter (B) state match and shooter (A) places first but his buddy (B) who is second is named state champ because that match requires residency. Both shooters have a first and second place finish in two matches but one shooter has 2 state championships.

Nobody has advocated for not allowing non-residents to compete like several have commented.

Nobody has advocated for letting a last-minute person from the state to kick a non-resident out of the event like several have commented.

It typically isn't an issue, but it can be for a few tournaments. The real kicker is when the non-residents bow out at the last second due to travel issues (cost, etc.) or at the last minute (when a full refund is available) and the residents have made other plans because they believed they wouldn't be able to participate.

Is it fair to allow in-state residents (and I liked the inclusions of prior year participants) to be allowed a short pre-registration period before it is open to all.

I hope to go to an out-of-state (or out-of-region) competition someday, but I don't mind having to wait till the regular registration period. I also don't have to worry about whether I am the "overall" or "state" champion, just whether I am taking the space of someone that might have had the possibility of winning!

50 minutes ago, Itchy Trigger said:

I also don't have to worry about whether I am the "overall" or "state" champion, just whether I am taking the space of someone that might have had the possibility of winning!

If they are too slow with the application, payment and a stamp - they probably weren't fast enough to win shooting either.

Sending in the application is one of those before the beep tests of speed.  :D

The above is a joke - thread needed levity.

Before the advent of online registration, I believed first come first served was appropriate. The matches with online registration are turning into a who is available to be online when the registration opens, this could be a disadvantage to many in state residents. 

Perhaps states that have implemented online registration might consider a 4 to 6 hour window for in state registration, then open it up to everyone? Or something along that line? 

Tully

1 hour ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Creeker, 

Down South, we would say you were a 'caution'.

:lol:

P.S. - loved that post.

..........Widder

I have been called a lot of things - but might the first time for being called a "caution".  :D

I like it.

58 minutes ago, Tully Mars said:

Before the advent of online registration, I believed first come first served was appropriate. The matches with online registration are turning into a who is available to be online when the registration opens, this could be a disadvantage to many in stage residents. 

Perhaps states that have implemented online registration might consider a 4 to 6 hour window for in state registration, then open it up to everyone? Or something along that line? 

Tully

We haven't moved to online registrations.  Our parent club doesn't do credit cards.  It's all USPS.  Besides the point that it could be a disadvantage to many, it also could cause me to lose my mind.  Currently, going to the mailbox and reading those names on the return address carries with it smiles and memories.  The fight to the finish to get into the match coupled with online registrations would add so much more stress to the already stressful jobs I do and oversee.  I guess I'm just eternally grateful that our match is successful without selling out in a matter of days.  Don't get me wrong, I suppose I'd love to see a quick sell out so that I could direct my efforts to other tasks.  However, I'm also very comfortable with the status quo.

YES , i shoot two out of state STATE MATCHES a year and i have no issue with the preference at all , if i wanted to be that guy i could move or compete at my state match ....this is MHO and not intended to inflame at all but why do out of state folks think they should get treated the same at a state match ? go to a regional 

1 hour ago, watab kid said:

YES , i shoot two out of state STATE MATCHES a year and i have no issue with the preference at all , if i wanted to be that guy i could move or compete at my state match ....this is MHO and not intended to inflame at all but why do out of state folks think they should get treated the same at a state match ? go to a regional 

Come on to Wartrace to our next Tennessee State match. We'll show you what southern hospitality is all about. You won't want to go back.

I never liked the "resident only state champ thing" it's dumb to me. I was first place FCD at the the South Carolina state championship. in 2006, I beat the only other guy in that category by a longshot but he was the State champ! Whatever make you happy I guess I just think it's stupid!

23 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

Come on to Wartrace to our next Tennessee State match. We'll show you what southern hospitality is all about. You won't want to go back.

id love to , ill seriously look at that , if i could move south i would in a heartbeat , my wife wont leave the grandkids and i i suspect id miss them too , 

Archived