SASS Wire Forum

Should have taken 10 minutes

This is a quote from a report on the trial of Nikolas Cruz.  Two months so far and it is supposed to last at least another week.  Should it really take three months, hundreds of thousands of dollars and a separate penalty trial to determine a sentence for someone who has confessed to murder?

Cruz pleaded guilty last year to 17 counts of first-degree murder for the Feb. 14, 2018, massacre of students and staff at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. The penalty trial, which has entered its second month, will determine whether Cruz is sentenced to death or life in prison. 

To give you a simple and complete answer, NO!!!

If one desires true punishment, there is no substitute for 8 hours every day making little rocks from big rocks, then spending one's nights with their rectum being the E-Ticket Attraction™ in the General Population.

And for the next 60 years.

If you just want him off the books, euthanize him.
Vets give humane and inexpensive end-of-life to our pets.. they could do the same for these creeps.

I never understood why... they insist on sterilizing the needle they are gonna kill you with.

36 minutes ago, bgavin said:

I never understood why... they insist on sterilizing the needle they are gonna kill you with.

,,,, well, ....... you wouldn't want to risk getting an infection ..........  -_-

I will never complain about any impediment to the terrible power of the State.  I want every word of the law parsed and discussed.  I want every possible angle subjected to the closest scrutiny.

Emotionally I can agree with the "hang him and be done" point of view.  But emotion makes for bad law and little justice.  

32 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

.22 LR behind the ear.  Dump the body in the trash.  Spray it with bug killer.  End of episode.

Why bug killer? Just curious. 

5 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

This is a quote from a report on the trial of Nikolas Cruz.  Two months so far and it is supposed to last at least another week.  Should it really take three months, hundreds of thousands of dollars and a separate penalty trial to determine a sentence for someone who has confessed to murder?

Cruz pleaded guilty last year to 17 counts of first-degree murder for the Feb. 14, 2018, massacre of students and staff at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. The penalty trial, which has entered its second month, will determine whether Cruz is sentenced to death or life in prison. 

The guilty little POS is entitled to the same due process and protections under the law that we would want if we were on trial for something we didn't do.

18 minutes ago, largo casey #19191 said:

His victims didn't get any appeals.He should feel the pain.

Largo

This isn't an appeal. This is the sentencing phase...you know, where the jury is forced to listen to the scumbag's childhood "traumas" and such. He admitted his guilt, is on film/tape murdering the people...yet this has dragged on for weeks now. This POS wanted attention when he murdered those 17 innocent victims and he is loving every minute of this. People like this is one of the reasons that weapons are not allowed in the courthouse.

14 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I will never complain about any impediment to the terrible power of the State.  I want every word of the law parsed and discussed.  I want every possible angle subjected to the closest scrutiny.

Emotionally I can agree with the "hang him and be done" point of view.  But emotion makes for bad law and little justice.  

And that same examination leads to endless expense and delays for those proven guilty beyond all doubt.
The thug hides from justice for years, and his lawyers get rich soaking the taxpayer for his defense.

For example, a thug goes into a convenience mart.
Video shows him pointing his weapon at the clerk and killing him dead.
The coroner determines the dead clerk is truly dead.
Forensics matches the bullet to the gun held by the thug clearly identified on the security tape.
There is gunshot residue on the thug's hand and his prints on the gun.

This is "proven guilty beyond all doubt."
Give the thug a quick and public execution for his intentional gun crime.
No lawyer tricks, no $350/hour delays, no excuses for having 12 personalities, being raped by his priest, a victim of systemic racism, or any other baloney.

14 minutes ago, bgavin said:

And that same examination leads to endless expense and delays for those proven guilty beyond all doubt.
The thug hides from justice for years, and his lawyers get rich soaking the taxpayer for his defense.

For example, a thug goes into a convenience mart.
Video shows him pointing his weapon at the clerk and killing him dead.
The coroner determines the dead clerk is truly dead.
Forensics matches the bullet to the gun held by the thug clearly identified on the security tape.
There is gunshot residue on the thug's hand and his prints on the gun.

This is "proven guilty beyond all doubt."
Give the thug a quick and public execution for his intentional gun crime.
No lawyer tricks, no $350/hour delays, no excuses for having 12 personalities, being raped by his priest, a victim of systemic racism, or any other baloney.

Right.  Because there is NEVER an appeal filed in a death penalty case.  Once the jury comes back with the sentence, that's it. Haul him out and shoot him right then.  

How many cases in the past year have you heard of where a guy has been released decades after being wrongly convicted "beyond all doubt?"  

As I said, I want every possible impediment to the power of the State.

1 hour ago, bgavin said:

Apparently, you missed the entire point.

No, I got your point.  You want the sentence carried out instantly, no appeals.  As soon as someone is convicted they lose all civil rights.  

I want every possible check on the power of the State, you don't.  

Which part of intentionally shooting somebody in the face and killing them, is lost on you?
You paint with a very broad and liberal brush.
My point is very specific:  intentional gun crimes, proven beyond ALL doubt.
A clear video of a thug blowing the face off his victim is beyond all doubt.

I fully understand the need to check the power of the gov't as displayed by the weaponizing of the DOJ and FBI.
What is not being addressed is the lack of consequences for acts proven beyond ALL doubt.

The key point is "Cruz pleaded guilty last year to 17 counts of first-degree murder."  The penalty trial has nothing to do with guilt or innocence.

So we set aside law and procedure on a case-by-case basis?  No uniformity?  Arbitrary, make it up as you go along "justice?"  Once a person admits guilt, or is convicted, we just say, "OK, no more rights, no more procedure?"  The only time I could agree with that is if the person were to make a statement at the start of the sentencing hearing on the lines of, "Your honor, I pled guilty, I did it.  I waive my rights to this trial and all appeals and request a sentence of death."  

I don't think that anyone wants for the rule of law and procedure to be abridged. I do think that in a case such as this case (I refuse to say this a$$hole's name) that the evidence is clear and convincing. He admitted guilt, is on COLOR footage committing the murders of all 17 persons and the wounding of many others. For his sentencing portion of the case to go on for weeks is ridiculous. Due process is one thing that all accused deserve.

In my opinion, his rights ended with his admission of guilt and the preponderance of undeniable evidence against him. He has shown zero remorse for his actions.

He deserves the sentence of death.

25 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

In my opinion, his rights ended with his admission of guilt and the preponderance of undeniable evidence against him. He has shown zero remorse for his actions.

He deserves the sentence of death.

Emotionally I agree. 

https://youtu.be/PDBiLT3LASk

17 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

It has to be this way. Edge cases define the scope of rights.

22 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Wait for the appeals.....

If the penalty is death, I recall an appeal is automatic.

If it were not for due process, I would express other sentiments.

Archived