SASS Wire Forum

1873 .375 “sure claw” Extractor

Justified Hellion

I bent my extractor on an Uberti 1873 .357 carbine and am having a hard time finding an upgraded sure claw extractor.  I have already ordered a factory replacement but would like to find a “sure claw”.  After bending an extractor the evening before a match and having to borrow a rifle from a pard (bless her heart) I now know parts on hand is a must!  Or if anyone has a complete spare breach bolt for an Uberti .357/38 that would be willing to part with please send a message.  I already know most have a complete backup rifle ready to rock when main rifle goes down but I haven’t found the one I’m looking for yet.  Thanks for any help or advice in advance!  

Hellion

Yeah, after I posted I remembered those.  I have rifles that are 20 plus years old with the factory extractor and have purchased after market extractors that failed within a few hundred rounds.  If an extractor bends there is usually some other cause than a "bad" extractor.

It failed when I was running the rifle as fast as I could practicing before a match.   I wouldn’t usually try doing that at an actual match.   Ive been told by several that is a weak point with the low quality spring steel that is used in factory reproductions theses days.  There was another shooter at the last match that also bent an extractor on his Uberti 73 few days before. I just found the sure claw extractor while looking for parts the other day.  Don’t quote me but I believe it’s made by “sure hit”.  It’s made with higher quality spring steel and I believe it’s a bit thicker throughout the extractor.   Don’t hold me to that tho!  

The rainmaker’s link to longhunt is what I’m lookin for.   They must have just come back in stock as I’m sure I looked there the other day and were out of stock.    Thank you for all the replies! 

There is a fairly easy fix if you’re fairly mechanically inclined.  Here’s how:

1.  Remove the bent extractor using a pin punch and small hammer.

2.  Reshape the extractor by laying it flat on a lead block and tapping it back to shape with the round face of a ball peen hammer.

3.  Check your rebend job by reinstalling and function check.

4.  If it works OK take it back out and retemper it.

5   To retemper, polish the part to bright metal.  Then on a glass-top electric stove with the burner set on high, heat the polished part until it turns bright blue (almost like a gun blue).  Then quickly drop the hot part into a small container of Automatic Transmission Fluid.  (This should restore the spring temper to the part.)

6.  Reinstall the part and check the function.  If it works, Great,  if it doesn’t you’re no worse off.  I’ve had good results repairing several of my rifles this way.

Thank you Cypress. I did rebrand and functions at about 60-70 %.  Maybe if I temper it as explained it might hold better. I sure appreciate the info!  

Ps.. getting the factory solid pin out of bolt was a heck of a task.  Will be replacing the solid pin with a roll pin.  

For pin replacement, I use a cutoff end of a 1/16” drill bit.  Run the drill bit through the bolt and extractor, then cut off a piece of the shank long enough to hold the extractor in place.  You may have to peen the hole a little to get the pin to stay in place, but usually the extractor is “springy” enough that it will be OK without that.

1 hour ago, Justified Hellion said:

It failed when I was running the rifle as fast as I could practicing before a match.

Were you doing this with ammo or dummies or with an empty gun?

Uberti bolts vary in both their internal and external dimensions and that includes the slot the extractor fits into.  Hopefully the new extractor will "drop in" but most of the time extractors need to be fitted for longevity and reliability.

Live firing when it failed,  then after bending back to correct shape I was cycling 158gr dummy’s and getting unreliable extractions. Figure I’d rather test it with heavy dummy’s before empties in a match.  As far as a new one I feel comfortable enough fitting it to my rifle.   Not say I can’t screw anything up cause that’s absolutely false but I do enjoy tinkering with firearms and don’t mind getting into things.  

Get an extractor pin punch block from Scarlett!   Makes knocking out the extractor pin easier.

Then, spot chamfer the ends of the pin hole in the bolt with a suitable drill bit.  That very slight dimple in the bolt makes it VERY easy to both knock out AND install the new pin next time.

Will be replacing the solid pin with a roll pin.

Not necessary.  And that small a diameter, won't hold any tighter.  And hard to find that small a roll pin that has length.  I have used both 1/16" drill shanks and annealed black iron (rebar tie) wire sanded to 1/16".   I like the wire since if the pin sticks tight, I can drill it out of the much harder bolt.

If your bent, reshaped extractor was not providing the tension you need to run dummies, maybe it just no longer had the correct tension.  Fingertip pull on the sharp nose of the extractor tip is a great way to test tension.   If the tip hurts your finger and you can't pull extractor up all the way out of the bolt's slot, you have enough tension.   

And, you could have easily bent or broken the cartridge support tab on the bottom of the bolt face.  Check that it is still present and straight, as it holds the case into the hook of the extractor.

good luck, GJ

Archived