SASS Wire Forum

Yildiz Shotgun Question

Taos

A new to me Yildiz 12ga has a problem.  I'd like to speak to someone who knows these guns.

The gun has been slicked up pretty nicely.  The main spring (hammer spring) has been reduced.

The problem I see is when the gun is open the barrels want to "spring back" towards the closed position.  This gets in the way of shucking spent hulls.

There is a small "button" on the forestock hinge that connects with bars in the frame, which cock the hammers when the gun is opened.

That button is still in contact with the bars when the gun is open and cocked, causing the barrels to want to spring back from fully open.

My questions are:

1. Can that "button" be ground down to a length just long enough to cock the hammers but not play on the bars when the gun is open?

2. Is it a hammer spring thing and I need to further reduce the hammer spring tension?

Thanks

If you are interested:

I found the fix.  It's the "button", which is actually a pin.  The pin is too long, the hammers over travel a good 1/8 to 3/16 inch.  The pin needs to be filed/ground until the hammer over travel is about 1/16 in. 

The pin is difficult to remove, so filing off too much pin is a mistake.

Archived