SASS Wire Forum

Damned Ford engineers! (Yes this is a Ford bashing thread!)

Clay Mosby

16 hours ago, PowerRiverCowboy said:

As someone that worked in Dealerships for years , Your first mistake was Purchasing a extended warranty on the showroom new Truck with a bumper to bumper warranty . They dont call it the Back end in a dealer for nothing :)
Say you buy said truck 60k at 2.8 % interest (they got you bought at 2.5 but make another.3 for dealer)

You truck has say a 3 year 36 mile warranty B To B  and a 5-60 powertrain (engine trans rearend ect)

you buy a Ext Wty for 5 years and 80k miles  for 3500 bucks financed at that 2.8 % 

You just paid 3500 plus interest for 20 k miles if warranty 

Always wait until wty expires to purchase 

Paid cash for everything, no interest involved.

The missus paid cash for her 2016 RAV4 from Maita fleet.
The price was very right, it suits her bad back ideally, and is a sweet and reliable ride.
We would buy another RAV4 without hesitation.

I have serious misgivings about a new Toyota truck, of any model, and will pass.
Ditto for new American pickups today.
My last American truck was a new '83 Dodge 4x4, and I will never have another American truck again.
Before that was a '77 Chevy van also brand new, and I will never have another Chevy again.

My super duty requires removal of the grill and upper radiator tray to change the headlight diodes. It’s a lot of fun on the side of the road at night. My old 70’ Dodge power wagon was a different story altogether and BOTH could be done in less time than I spent typing this.

I do love my truck though. :lol:

19 hours ago, Wallaby Damned said:

My super duty requires removal of the grill and upper radiator tray to change the headlight diodes. It’s a lot of fun on the side of the road at night. My old 70’ Dodge power wagon was a different story altogether and BOTH could be done in less time than I spent typing this.

I do love my truck though. :lol:

Boy, I reckon I really am old... I didn't even know headlights had diodes.  :huh:  :rolleyes:

41 minutes ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

LED = Light Emitting Diode

LL

I know.  But like I said... I'm old.  I drive things with LEB's.  Light Emitting Bulbs.  Sometimes called "Blubs."  ^_^

image.png.7d35220236c4ecdb11454e34b4d1b730.png

My brother in law was discussing one of those new Frauds -- I mean Fords -- bought for oilfield use in rural SE Ohio's hill country.
He said the frame had holes in it, big ones, scientifically placed to retain strength and reduce weight.

He said apparently it did neither, or did neither well, for when the truck was loaded to capacity -- this a 3/4 ton truck -- they pulled it into 4WD, low range, on soft ground.

They throttled it enough to move it, but not excessively ... torque flexed the frame enough, the front driveshaft spline pulled out and hit the ground.

My brother allowed as that's why most folks thereabouts are going Dodge.

Three hundred eighty-nine thousand miles. Bought used twenty years ago for $9,000.00.  Replaced the radiator a couple years ago. Replaced the main and rod bearings, rings and head gaskets at 290,000 miles. Cost less than $500.00.  Had the transmission rebuilt, (I HATE working on automatic transmissions!!) at 365,000 miles. Cost $600.00.  Two sets of brake pads, one set of brake shoes, two front brake hoses, two sets of shocks, one set of front sway bar bushings, both power steering hoses, one A/C compressor, and three sets of tires plus one pair for the front. 

It still has all the original wheel bearings and all of the original universal joints. The rear end has never been into.

It’s been used to tow my vending trailer, my race car trailer, any number of cars and trucks, and hauled tons of gravel, rock, lumber, and scrap metal as well as every kind of engine, transmission, car part and even my groceries!

It hauled our band trailer and sound gear all over the south for twenty years and our motorcycles on two trips out west, (three motorcycles and guns and gear).

The engine repairs were the result of me drag racing the truck and several banzai runs covering ten or more miles at wide open throttle.  I drove it to the shop after the damage was done. Same when the transmission was repaired. 

I’M SATISFIED WITH IT!!

CFCC84FE-9F84-4C26-B84D-C07E5DE7A435.jpeg

That picture was taken when I bought the 12,000 pound capacity twin post lift and brought it home for my shop.

2 hours ago, JP McLintock said:

Im with blackwater on this, had mine for almost 20 years, last decent trucks gm made.

20210916_190739.jpg

The new ones ain’t all that bad.   I don’t care for a lot of the electronics in the cab and they’re a lot more complicated to repair and maintain. They get good fuel mileage and drive great.  I’d buy a GM truck again.

I just don’t need a new truck!!

Archived