SASS Wire Forum

How far back can you trace your lineage?

Finagler 6853 Life

All this talk about the passing of the Queen and who bagat who that begat another got me to thinking.  On my mother's side, a number of family members have traced our lineage back as far as 400 - 600 AD.  There are a couple of kings in there, Denmark and Norway and one Baron of Saxony in there along the way.  I must be the millionth in line for a throne somewhere.  This was back when a "king" was more of tribal leader and you  ruled over as much land as you could protect and defend.  Harald the Fair Hair, some call him the butcher, is mixed in there somewhere.   He united the tribes of Norway under one common kingdom.  I married a pretty half Scandinavian girl but I think her lineage is suspect. :P  She says I'm royalty.  A royal PITA.  

No one has really tried to trace my father's side much as I think they were mostly horse thieves and mule skinners.  For real.  Grandpa and Great Grandpa worked as teamsters delivering wagon loads of goods from the harbors to villages inland.   

I read the lineage materials once in a while when I can't fall asleep.  How far do you go back?  We could be related.  Scary, huh?

Mother's Irish side, tenuously,  to around 1060, documented 1500's around Coolen and Killkenny.

To a Caribbean pirate king of the 17th Century and a Spanish princess he captured, on one side. On the other, one of the illegitimate sons of Charles II, who married a female descendant of a Byzantine empress.

That's what grandad told me anyway, and I believe it. After all, don't we all go back to kings and aristocrats? Otherwise it would just be boring peasants....

Mid 1700's on Mom's side; can't find anything on Dad's side before... well... before Dad.  :huh:

A few years ago I was leaving a Boy Scout meeting at our local LDS church.  I noticed a light on in a room and stuck my head in to see if I knew anyone there - I did!  It turned out to be their "family research center, with a few folk just researching away.  One fella set me up with an account, I went home and logged in, and before bed I'd gone back to a bunch of Prussians in the mid 18th century.  Fun stuff!

For anyone interested, I recommend the Church's "Family Search" service.  It's easy to use, a lot like Ancestry dot com.  Easier, I think.  And it's free!  And no, nobody will contact you  about joining the Church:  

https://www.familysearch.org/en/

I actually just got home from the post office after mailing in my DNA sample to Ancestry dot com...  :)

My son sent his in a couple years ago.  "Son," sez I, "It better come back showing something like a quarter Iberian Peninsula or one of our mama's will have some 'splainin' to do!"  :lol:

It did.  B)

I researched my Dad’s side back to the late 1700’s. I researched my Mom’s side back to the early 1700’s…then I found out the guy I thought was my Mom’s father wasn’t. 
Back to the drawing board…

Oh, there’s no royalty in my lineage. Coal miners, farmers and one English Navy sailor in the late 1700’s. 

Otto is an arse! Cola miner…Sheesh!

I can trace my lineage back to Adam and Eve.

Adam's last name was Parker, same as mine.  Throughout history, whenever one of his kids did something wrong, the patriarch of the family would make that kid take a different last name. 

Ain't but a few of of Parkers left.

My dad did our back to around the 12 or 1300s and my mom has a book that was done for her side but not sure how far it goes back.

I did ancestory DNA and national geographical DNA ( I don't know if NG still does one) turns out I have a lot of Scottish, English and irish in me.

On my dad's side, England in the 1500s.  Surname goes back to one of William the Usurper 's thugs, but can't find direct lineage. One of my cousins got our family back to the Mayflower (whoopy !!!)

Ancestry breakdown of dad's side.

Screenshot_20220913-172949.thumb.png.e144d169d755af8867dd002191a3ccc1.png

My mom's grandparents came from somewhere in Eastern Europe in the 1870s if what she told me is correct, and if I remember it correctly. Her dad came over in about 1905, also from Eastern Europe.  Breaks down there.

Ancestry breakdown of my mom's side.

Screenshot_20220913-172550.thumb.png.3dcfa0e0542a1f5244eb857f96e74a77.png

1900- great grandfather 

Never had the inclination or interest  to search any further than those I personally knew.

Ive never really knew too many living relatives well, but to second cousins and first cousins once removed. I do have this nice piece printed on linen.

555E5935-4945-48BE-BC31-42E77DB20400.jpeg

According to a genealogy done for my sister, one branch goes back to Scotland in the 1200's. I have the .pdf files, but don't feel like pulling them up. The Ward name goes back to the 1700s in the American colonies, at least. My fifth great-grandfather fought at King's Mountain with the Montgomery County, Virginia Militia. I was on one of the genealogy sites yesterday, and with the death of Queen Elizabeth II, there was an "are you related to royalty" link. While I take it with a definite grain of salt, I certainly found this interesting! Edward III and John of Gaunt were no slouches, historically, and I suppose I can claim Edward, the Black Prince, as a great-great uncle.

Relationship_Ward-22197_Plantagenet-70.png

Of course, those that pay attention to such things here, know I married into Clan MacLean of Duart. So, when I told Mrs. Doc the news, her response was something along the lines of "Neat. We have a clan, and our clan has a castle." Considering how amazing she is, and how important her dad and mom were to me, I have to lean toward the clan and castle!

3 minutes ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

Do they even sell Dukes north of Tennessee?

Well since I live in the Great State of Tennessee,  does it matter?

That said, I've seen it at Kroger in Bowling Green, KY.

on my dads side [scots] to the 1600s but my moms side [german] were caught up in the Alsace Loraine and theres some major holes so i can only get into the late 1700s there , both sides didnt come here till the 1800s and only my dads side migrated just prior to the civil war - we settled in arkansas and fought for the south , migrated north in the early 1900s  other side was later and settled in oregon then migrated to the midwest , my mother was the researcher and my mom and dad traveled to  chase things down , 

the family splt when it left scotland , one son went to canada then south to the USA - my side , my folks had way better luck following the other son that went to austrailia , they actually visited and met that side and could trace it far better , ive never met anyone on that part of the family , i doubt ill travel enough 

For some reason it has never particularly interested me. Which seems strandpge as I’m such a history buff. :blink:

ill say this - i expected you , bob , to have that at hand , not sure why other than ive noticed you interest in history ands it just seemed like you might , if my mother had not gone way into it i doubt we would have much ..........and ive not kept things up 

Being from a Mormon family I figured that with their vast genealogy resources Mom's family would be a cinch.

Only got back to about 1550.

Dad's folks came to these shore  short nine years after the Mayflower landed.  They brought their records with them and I traced them back

to 1167.

I got a lot of family history from both sides, usually in the form of letters, journals, and other ephemeral (there's your new word for the week)-type things, legends, and stories.

My Dad signed on with Family Search about 10 years ago, I got on five years ago after he passed. 

Best info is on his mother's side, can trace it directly to Alexander the Great and Helen of Troy.

Also have an ancestor that was five when he made the trip on the Mayflower.

6 hours ago, Tex Wilson said:

I can trace my lineage back to Adam and Eve.

Now, we're told that Adam and Eve had three sons - Abel, Cain, and Seth.  (Cain turned out to be a bad guy...)

So, the question is - who did the boys marry~?  :rolleyes:

Early 1800’s my great grandparents in Italy, I’m sure it goes way back but that’s the people I am aware of.

The family tree on my mother's side has been reliably traced back to 1588.  That's when the Spanish Armada came over and burned the church in Penzance, Cornwall.  My father's side goes back to the early 1800's when they came over from Sweden.  That's when they started Americanizing their names and lying about their ages.  

No idea whatsoever.

Adopted at birth, never looked into it.

Never really concerned me.

Archived