SASS Wire Forum

Mercury Recoil Reducers for shotguns ?

WOODFOX , sass#34179

Mercury reducers basically work by adding weight to the shotgun.  More weight equals less recoil.  There use to be a theory that the liquid Mercury creates some kind of wave action and that also helps reduce recoil.  That now seems to be BS.  So yes they work but so does adding any heavy weight to the stock.  I have pulled several from old trap shotguns.  Here are two variations.  You can also fill a tube with lead shot and put that in the stock for the same effect.

DSC_0001.jpeg

Friend was  looking for something for same reason.  Took lead sheeting and made a "Tootsie Roll" that in the stock hole in rear of 97 stock.   Changed the balance and added weight.  Seemed to swing faster do to weight added to rear.and a little less recoil      GW

It does add weight. I put one in Shortcake's shotgun and she said it made a difference in felt recoil. I suppose if you are a 5 foot tall petite lady compared to a 6 foot husky male it would make a difference. Size matters.:D

But I found out you cannot ship anything containing mercury to Illinois, so it was sent to a friend in another state where we got it.

Illinois is funny that way. Soon they will allow violent offenders to walk with no bail, but dammit, they take a hard stance on mercury!

I flattened out a bunch of 255gn .45 bullets to the diameter of the hole in the stock of both my skb and my model 12, rolled them in duct tape and dropped the whole thing down inside the stocks. Much less recoil and they seam to swing faster. the only issue is when i'm staging them on a prop thats not perfectly level, i worry the stocks may pull them off the prop. my model 12 is a 3" gun that i put a 2 3/4 bolt carrier and lifter in so the extra thickness of the 3" barrel makes it pretty heavy already, the added lead makes it have almost no recoil...

I put in a "Dead Mule" brand in my SxS after two rotator cuff surgeries on each shoulder (total of 4)

does add weight and lessen recoil

then developed a ½ oz shotgun load that reduced the recoil even more and they still have no trouble taking down KDs--some aiming is required of course

The Mercury recoil tubes work fine for what they were designed for.

The first shot feels light just from the weight of the mercury tube but the mercury moving in the tube lessens the felt recoil oa a quick follow up shot. Trap doubles.

Just adding weight to the stock will reduce felt recoil and for cas it will do what you want with out a lot of costs.

Lead bullets or even shot made in to a cylinder will work and you most likely have those things just sitting around the shop.

Mr Fox. 

I have them in my 1897 shotguns (shortened barrels) , and also recently fitted into a Stoeger 12ga coach gun.

Agree with all the above commentary on just the extra weight reducing the felt recoil.

The 'mercury effect' might only be psychosomatic (but I believe).

Only drawback I found is that staging the coach gun needs care, and has to be a couple of inches further onto the staging  table or shelf - otherwise tilts back.

Mr West.

1 hour ago, Broke N West said:

Mr Fox. 

I have them in my 1897 shotguns (shortened barrels) , and also recently fitted into a Stoeger 12ga coach gun.

Agree with all the above commentary on just the extra weight reducing the felt recoil.

The 'mercury effect' might only be psychosomatic (but I believe).

Only drawback I found is that staging the coach gun needs care, and has to be a couple of inches further onto the staging  table or shelf - otherwise tilts back.

Mr West.

Thanks Mr. West and good to see you at our 3 day

3 hours ago, Thunder Creek Kid said:

I put one in my Browning 425 clays gun and it really helped. 

Hey Thunder Creek how was OGCA ?

Had a friend one time that handed me a bag of bullets he picked up at a garage sale. 

"You reload - so you can use these" - 100 or so unmarked plated bullets in a zip lock bag...

I told him, "thanks" and tossed them on a shelf above my loading workbench.

They fit pretty neatly into the stock of Desert Scorpions 97 shotgun - a few years later; the remainder went into the stock of Painted Lady's.

The only downside was getting them out of Desert Scorpions stock when she changed to an 87 and I wanted to change her 97 stock.  :blink:

I agree on other's assessment about recoil reducers.  The weight does tame the recoil somewhat but it added weight to the shotgun.  I had it installed on all my SxS and eventually took them all off because of the added weight and just developed shotgun loads that produces a milder recoil.  Have been using those load all this time without the added weight.  Works for me.

Why bother? 

CAS loads aren't exactly shoulder- breakers, even for tiny women and Buckaroos/Buckarettes.  Just load 'em down. 

If you want to make SG recoil more tolerable in general, make sure the stock fits you properly, so it lands properly on the shoulder.  Proper fitted SG stocks usually do not require recoil reduction gimmicks. 

Rifle can be a different story,  if you're shooting 50 BMG, .338 Lapua Mag, .416 Rigby, .375 H&H Mag,  or the likes. 

23 hours ago, Lawdog Dago Dom said:

It does add weight. I put one in Shortcake's shotgun and she said it made a difference in felt recoil. I suppose if you are a 5 foot tall petite lady compared to a 6 foot husky male it would make a difference. Size matters.:D

But I found out you cannot ship anything containing mercury to Illinois, so it was sent to a friend in another state where we got it.

Illinois is funny that way. Soon they will allow violent offenders to walk with no bail, but dammit, they take a hard stance on mercury!

That is funny since Obama came from there and changed to light bulbs containing enough mercury to be dangerous when broken! 
But I'll bet they allow Obama bulbs to be shipped.

For our cowboy game and velocities, recoil is mostly perception. If you perceive a difference with one of these, they work. If you don’t perceive a difference, they don’t. 

Your first statement about reducing the load is gospel. That’s where you’ll find the biggest difference. You might be surprised at how little it takes for a well-placed shot to knock down a target. 

The fundamental question is what are your current loads?

Thanks for all the replies the recoil reducer is not going to happen my 97 doesn't bother me neither does my 87 but my little coach gun does so will be working up some lite  loads for that . Arthritis has found a home in my shoulder .

Woodfox

Archived