SASS Wire Forum

Thinking about getting Auto Progressive Shotgun Loader what's out there

rmurphy92

I got started with a Hornady 366 a few months ago and love it. It was a little finicky at first, but anyone with decent mechanical aptitude can figure it out and get it to run smooth. Hornady also has great customer service if any new parts or bushings are needed.

Since this post is still going and I just loaded these shells for the upcoming regional for my little guy I thought I'd toss this in. I completely get the huge price difference, but there are many MANY people out there have repeatedly commented that the Lee Load-all is "just as good" as the Spolar for loading a shot shell and that the SpoIar is only faster and more expensive. Well here are some shells that I made using twice fired AA hulls.  I primed, dropped the powder, and loaded the wad and shot with the Lee. I have to do it this way because SR's load is so light that I can't drop that small of a powder charge and shot load with the Spolar. The load is 10.5 gns of Clays, 1/2 oz #8 shot in a 3/4oz wad with a 3/8" cork wad topped with a 1/16" cork on top (he's only 8 years old and weighs 51 lbs). I only have the Lee for this specific purpose as the plastic bushings were easy to modify for this super light load. I then ran the shells through the Spolar crimp process. All of the shells were then sized on a Mec super sizer since the sizing is the first stage of the Spolar. The Mec is not needed with the Spolar sizing die but I usually use it anyway just for S's and Giggles. FYI this process was a huge time consuming pain to do but it is for a big match. Here are photos of the two with the Spolar on the right and the Lee on the left. Every one of the Spolar crimped shells dropped freely in the case gauge every time whereas almost every single shell from the Lee got held up by the crimp. The Mec sizer is awesome and the slix shell sizer helps greatly with the crimp issue but it's hard on the hands and time sensitive as it's only a temporary crimp on the plastic and you don't need it at all with the Spolar loads. The Lee shell I picked for these pics is one of the best I've gotten out of it. The crimps are pretty inconsistent. One of every 3 has a hole in the center of the crimp that shot would drop through hense the 1/16" spacer wad. The Spolar does not need the 1/16 wad since the crimp is so tight.  Whether you believe it's worth or not is up to you. I load and shoot for cowboy (about 500 shells a month) and we also shoot sporting clays. My hydraulic Spolar will load 32 shells per minutes and time is my most precious commodity so the loader is worth every penny to me. For those wondering,  I also have a Mec Jr. It's not as good as the Spolar, but it blows the Lee out of the water and and loads a good consistent shell. It also only costs a few dollars more than the Lee so IMO, if you're looking for a loader and want to spend the money the Spolar its well worth it. But if you're looking for a good loader for a great value go with the Mec. Sorry Lee guys but that's my view from the loading saddle. 20220918_162436.thumb.jpg.e2caac0f682fb3bd4826678c14e20fc0.jpg20220918_162505.thumb.jpg.1e981f610dc818cfccae3d039ded02f0.jpg20220918_162522.thumb.jpg.ed07cee1ef152df4719f2ba4cb41c043.jpg20220918_162538.thumb.jpg.81def25c63b3c9f2de0eb34d774c39a7.jpg

JEL

when things work one cannot argue - when they dont they often throw rocks , ill just say ive found for the few rounds i shoot in cowboy a single stage works well and turns out great product , that said ......i get it if you load for multiple disciplines , i just dont anymore 

Kid,

I'm not "throwing rocks" just showing that there IS a major difference in the outcome.

There is nothing wrong with loading on a single stage if that's all you need. I routinely kick myself for selling my RCBS Mini-Grand. That single stage loaded a phenomenal shell, I just needed the money when I bought my Spolar. The Mec Jr I also have now does a really good job, especially since I got it for free, but IMO its not as good as the RCBS was, however it is readily available and it's a great value. The only reason I bought the LEE was because the plastic bushings were easy and cheap to modify to drop for that extremely light load.

What I'm pointing out are those who have advised OPs of these SG threads who are inquiring about getting into SG loading that these machines are all basically the same. They most certainly are not. There is a huge price difference for a reason. 

If you're tight on funds or a BP shooter that loads so dark they need to hand pluck every shot shell from their chamber then the Lee would work great for you as the crimp won't matter, but If you're looking to save every micro second on a stage and a consistent shuck is crucial to you then it's not the loader for it. That's all I was showing here. 

JEL

On 9/14/2022 at 9:45 AM, Buckshot Bob said:

Honestly if that’s all you need unless you’re time is extremely valuable to you I would just go with something like this 

https://www.mecoutdoors.com/sizemaster-2

I have this press in 12ga for loading different odds and ends and a Posness Warren I can swap between 12 and 20 . But I wouldn’t bother changing over gauges unless I was going to load at least 1000 rounds. 
6 or 8 boxes go pretty fast on a sizemaster 

If you really want to speed it up , this is awful hard to beat for the $ 

https://www.mecoutdoors.com/8567n-grabber

https://www.mecoutdoors.com/9000gn This is also a good choice for just a few dollars more if he really wants a progressive. I have the 9000E and love it but it cost me around $1500 on sale.

TM

5 minutes ago, Texas Maverick said:

https://www.mecoutdoors.com/9000gn This is also a good choice for just a few dollars more if he really wants a progressive. I have the 9000E and love it but it cost me around $1500 on sale.

TM

It’s really hard to go wrong with any of the Mec machines. They all work well and the company takes care of its customers. You just need to define what you want out of the press and what your willing to spend . I’ve always viewed them as the middle of the road press , it’s certainly not a chevette but it’s definitely not a caddy. Mec makes something to fit everyone’s budget , and if maintained it will last a lifetime 

I still like my Texan. 1 new shell with every pull of the handle, and if you mess up every shell can be removed from it's station. Easy to change bushings. I prefer to hand set the primers, auto primer feeds are always the weak spot on reloaders. Can do 300/hour without hurrying at all. Hell for stout, will never wear out in my lifetime. A great upgrade from the Mec's I used for 10 years. Easy to find on e-bay most of the time, usually for a couple hundred bucks, plus shipping. It even chamfers the front of the shell, and is adjustable for chamfer, no need to run them through a hand held chamfer tool.

Archived