SASS Wire Forum

1897 Winchester Sear by Cowboys and Indian 97

Hawk Eyes Hudson

Hey Wranglers,

I purchased a brand new Winchester 1897 12 ga takedown about 2 months back.   Well it's about 110 years old but its new to me.  I marvel at the ingenuity from that time.  Well to start, I have had a few shotguns over the years but this gun is intriguing.  There are some great videos on disassembly and the like but nothing on replacing or fitting the sear.  Well, after some head scratching and eyeballing and some great files from Wheeler Engineering it was done.  My question to those of you who tinkers, "Do you really see a difference?"  My real problem is that I also purchased a new stripped carrier and transferred the guts from old to new during the sear install.   Well its hard to tell.  If you have had this sear installed could you describe any noteworthy improvement.  I am building another complete carrier for backup along with a bolt and I won't add C & I sear unless it gets validated.   I don't think you can screw up the frame on these old relics.  They made some good iron back in the day.

HEH

I'm not seeing a 1897 sear on the C&I site, http://cowboysandindianstore.com/

I've replaced the odd bad sear, and touched up the angles on some that were too heavy/light. The hammer is pretty hard, the notches in it seem to stand the test of time. Had one where the half cock safety was taller than the sear, that really messed with some of the adjustments. 

Any gun over 100 years old has a good possibility of having been messed with. Sometimes the challenge is to get it back to original before "fixing" the issues. I have one now that doesn't like to feed the shell smoothly. I can't see anything "wrong" but it still feeds poorly unless I drop the shell in at an angle. 

BB

I marvel at the ingenuity from that time.

You owe that thanks to John M Browning.  The 1897 pump design is all his.  He was ahead of most other firearm designers by about 30 years.

good luck, GJ

I purchased it on Outpost Online of Durango, CO.  It was advertised as a C&I product.  Go figure.

Archived