SASS Wire Forum

Stereo....

Back around 1995 my 22-year old Kenwood receiver started to act up, so I decided to splurge on a new one - a Yamaha RX-385.  Not the fanciest available, but met my needs.  

Well... 27 years later the darned thing has decided to be kinda truculent - doesn't want to switch between inputs like I want it to.  Now, I am absolutely not in tune (pun only partially intentional) with modern equipment; indeed, I still use early 90's vintage SONY CD changer and yep... turntable.  Still have plenty of vinyl!  And my 1975 speakers still function well - I actually rebuilt the 12" woofers a few years ago.  :lol:

So!  With that, any guidance on what to look for these days that'll work and not bust the bank?  :)

Honestly... I haven't a clue!  

By the way ~ my music tastes are reeeally eclectic, ranging from Cash to Chopin; Blues to Bluegrass; Big Band to Marching Band.  Bagpipes?  Uh huh.  (Actually took lessons once upon a time... didn't take :rolleyes:).  Do stop short of opera... although a little Wagner on occasion might be acceptable.    

3 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Back around 1995 my 22-year old Kenwood receiver started to act up, so I decided to splurge on a new one - a Yamaha RX-385.  Not the fanciest available, but met my needs.  

Well... 27 years later the darned thing has decided to be kinda truculent - doesn't want to switch between inputs like I want it to.  Now, I am absolutely not in tune (pun only partially intentional) with modern equipment; indeed, I still use early 90's vintage SONY CD changer and yep... turntable.  Still have plenty of vinyl!  And my 1975 speakers still function well - I actually rebuilt the 12" woofers a few years ago.  :lol:

So!  With that, any guidance on what to look for these days that'll work and not bust the bank?  :)

By the way ~ my music tastes are reeeally eclectic, ranging from Cash to Chopin; Blues to Bluegrass; Big Band to Marching Band.  Bagpipes?  Uh huh.  (Actually took lessons once upon a time... didn't take :rolleyes:).  Do stop short of opera... although a little Wagner on occasion might be acceptable.    

Do you like banjo ukelele music?  :P

33 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Do you like banjo ukelele music?  :P

Oh, I DO~!!  ^_^

But the Kid don't live here no mo'.  :lol:

Mebbe I could learn to play it....  :rolleyes:

You go to the local electronics store and you will find a very small selection of receivers.  They have pretty much gone out of style.  I guess the IPhone and ear buds have replaced them, but not totally sure.  Hell they do not even make IPods anymore.  Not sure what I am going to do when mine craps out.  My last receiver was a Luxman.

Hardpan, I know your headache. While in Germany in 1978 I purchased a complete kenwood system (wood cased). 555s speakers and the whole nine. The original turntable was replaced by the linear track turntable in 1982. Then the tape player replaced by a pioneer years later along with a kenwood equalizer. Still have it all and close to a 1,000 albums. Added a kenwood cd changer in 88. Nothing is currently set up due to space in the house. Sigh. Using the tv now 

the other day my micro compact JVC that I had in the wood shop went tits up!  I ended up going to Best Buy and got the Sharps with the 5 CD changer. Really good sound and it’s 50 watts. So far I’m pleased but I really want the big system hooked up.

I paid 199 before tax. 

The micros do fairly well.  Repair shops for the old systems are far and few between

10 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

When my combination DVD/surround system died I bought a new Blu Ray player from Walmart and thought I could get by with just the TV speakers for audio for both music (iPod) & DVD's.  That lasted less than a week, the sound quality for the music was just too flat.  I wanted something to run the TV, DVD & iPod through and I bought a Yamaha RX-V385 from Amazon.  At the time if you signed up for an Amazon credit card, they would take $100 off the price of the Yamaha.  The price has dropped and while they don't seem to offer the $100 discount, if you sign up for the Amazon credit card you can pay it off over 5 months with no interest.

I have been pretty happy with the Yamaha.

I have a SONY cd player and a Panasonic receiver. I don't know if they still make these models or not. They're about 25 yrs old at least.

In 1968 I bought a pair of Klipschorn "corner speakers" at the Fort Buckner PX on Okinawa.  I think they cost about $300.00, a princely sum back then, and added them to my other audio stuff (reel-to-reel tape player, turn table, am/fm/multiplex amplifier, and four other speakers .  I never could hear very well, but it was the craze at the time).

Everything else went by the boards over the years but I kept those Klipschorns until fourteen years ago.  The vacuum tube phase was just coming back and I sold the speakers for about a grand.  I looked up the going price today: OMG, they are expensive. 

I wonder what my Cobra CB and all of its accessories would be worth now.  I understand they are back in fashion now. 

I also have some Sony 12" speakers with woofers, (remember those) I can crank that thing but I don't because I mostly listen to jazz and have it on in the background as I'm typing. Bill Evans, Chick Corea, David Benoit and Herbie Hancock.

Hardpan,   Call Audoadviser in Grand Rapids, mi.  IT is where I get stuff.  A GREAT company to deal with. They have audiophile equipment and are the largest mail order Co. in the USA. I got my BRYSTON equipment from them.  They even sell Klipsch speakers.  I still have my Cornwalls.

My Tuner/Amplifier went out a few years ago and I picked up an Insignia at Best Buy works very well with all my old equipment.  I did have to buy an inline pre amp for the turntable.  At present I don't see that brand but they have several from inexpensive to ridiculous.

Over the years, the band acquired many pieces of good equipment.  Most of it belonged to my guitar player or bass player , but I wound up with a nice 600 watt mixer/amp and a pair of Klipsch La Scalas. Those speakers are the same units that you used to see stacked or hung in bunches around the stage at major concerts.  They’re huge, extremely durable, and weigh more than 100 lbs each.

Since the band has semi retired, I brought them home and put ‘em in the shop.  With a simple bluetooth device that plugs directly into the mixer, I can play all of my library and the Pandora app on my phone through those big ol’ speakers! 

ONE HELL OF A STEREO!! :lol:

Years ago I bought a Heathkit receiver, put it together and after a few calls to Heathkit got it working.  Worked very well.  One night in the BOQ at Fort Huachuca I thought we were having an earthquake.  I had put on my earphones and cranked up the sound but had forgotten to turn off the speakers.  Everyone was banging on the walls and doors until I finally took off the headphones to see what was going on and realized what I had done.

Klipsch   La Scalas are GREAT speakers. Klipsch has reintroduced all 3 of the classics, Horns. Cornwalls, and la Scalas.  I love my old Cornwalls. The New ones  are Expensive but worth it.

28 minutes ago, Happy Jack, SASS #20451 said:

Klipsch   La Scalas are GREAT speakers. Klipsch has reintroduced all 3 of the classics, Horns. Cornwalls, and la Scalas.  I love my old Cornwalls. The New ones  are Expensive but worth it.

These two are old road dogs. Captured from some big act or picked up from one of the sound outfits that gaffe the concerts in the area!  They supplied sound for a club that I played here in Nashville for a number of years. For a while they belonged to a friend who is Tom T. Hall’s son. When he got a major infusion of new equipment, he gave these to me for my band , along with some heavy amps and old lighting equipment.  It sure made us look and sound better in the early days, but it took a lot of work to set up and take down!

They’re worth a pretty penny!  I’m really torn between keeping ‘em or maybe dolling ‘em up and turning them into cash.  I’m seeing ‘em on evilbay for three and four grand!!

On 9/11/2022 at 8:35 PM, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Recommend you Google used audio equipment in your area. I have a set of new Martin Logan speakers powered by a late ‘90s / early 2000s Pioneer receiver. Sounds awesome. Lots of RCA jacks for a number of components. 

I play vinyl, but can also play tunes from my iPhone thru a Bluetooth adapter hooked to the receiver. Cost was under $30. 

I remember when the big speakers kind of went out of style and everyone had BBC reference speakers.  I had a pair of Chartwell LS3/5As.  Small but nice sound quality.

Archived