SASS Wire Forum

Why so many stores are losing business

Forty  Rod SASS 3935

I get a lot a craft stuff from Hobby Lobby.  They sometimes don't have what I want, but they try.

I take my dog in and put a piece of carpeting in the shopping cart to protect her feet while she's schmoozing with the staff and other customers.

Once I forgot to take the carpet with me.  A week or two later I went in and one of the ladies working there came up and handed me that scrap of carpet.

There was a strip of tape on the back that someone had written "Trinket's dad will want this back" on.

They know her name but after eight years of going in there they still don't know mine.  :rolleyes:  :P

I remember when internet online shopping was just becoming a thing. They predicted how much would be spent online in the next couple of years and I thought no way it would happen. I figured people would want to see and hold the items personally before buying. Never would have guessed it would become so huge. Now you are pretty much forced to buy many things online.

I have to agree with others that our local Ace hardware has about the most helpful employees around and a lot of them I've seen for years.

I am going to be the contrarian (shocking, I know).

But ALL of this is YOUR fault - you have gotten exactly the outcome YOU demanded.

YOU used to go to the local (hardware, gun, auto parts, hobby) store and make your purchase from an owner or clerk that had been there for years and loved their industry.

THEN the BIG BOX arrived and you decided that it was faster, cheaper and more convenient to go there than the local retailer.

BUT you still expected that small store with knowledgeable help to be there to give you advise or to stock that specific widget the big box store did not.

THEN one day - the old guy at the (hardware, gun, auto parts, hobby) store died, retired, moved on.  And suddenly (if the store survived) the old guy was replaced by a "clerk" who has no interest in you or holding your hand because the store makes less money than it used to - so where the owner or old guy would spend an hour with you discussing (screws, bullet shapes, carb jets, model trains) - this new clerk has fewer coworkers and still has boxes in the back room to unpack and floors to sweep - plus ring up the sale of your single $4.99 widget that you think entitles you to a hand holding tour of the store.

NOW you've killed your small local retailer and become accustomed to the shortcomings of the big box store BUT you've discovered online shopping and YOU have started the cycle anew.

YOU go to the store, big box or small retailer and examine the toys, handle the items, compare heft and feel - then scurry home to order from an online retailer (because why should YOU have to take home an item that has been handled by others?).

YOU demand the ease of getting your items delivered and then complain when the aisle is blocked because the big box employee that previously "might" have had a moment to direct you to aisle 4 for peroxide is NOW having to find and group groceries for someone else too lazy to get off their rascal scooter, close their laptop, and stop eating to shop.

The single largest expense in retail is employees - but YOU demand more and more while demanding to pay less and less.

So YOUR end result is going to be a faceless, nameless, auto chat with a robot - yes your product may arrive at your front door but soon you will be buying EVERYTHING sight unseen - and when YOUR demands have resulted in the online retailer being your only choice - their attention to your complaints will evaporate completely.

ENJOY the environment YOU created.

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

So you do get some good service there, right?

Once in a blue moon.  I've stopped buying clothes there and have little or no use for almost anything else they sell.

Boots and hats are a once every third or fourth year thing so I don't get in there very often.

47 minutes ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

But ALL of this is YOUR fault - you have gotten exactly the outcome YOU demanded.

YOU used to go to the local (hardware, gun, auto parts, hobby) store and make your purchase from an owner or clerk that had been there for years and loved their industry.

THEN the BIG BOX arrived and you decided that it was faster, cheaper and more convenient to go there than the local retailer.

BUT you still expected that small store with knowledgeable help to be there to give you advise or to stock that specific widget the big box store did not.

THEN one day - the old guy at the (hardware, gun, auto parts, hobby) store died, retired, moved on.  And suddenly (if the store survived) the old guy was replaced by a "clerk" who has no interest in you or holding your hand because the store makes less money than it used to - so where the owner or old guy would spend an hour with you discussing (screws, bullet shapes, carb jets, model trains) - this new clerk has fewer coworkers and still has boxes in the back room to unpack and floors to sweep - plus ring up the sale of your single $4.99 widget that you think entitles you to a hand holding tour of the store.

NOW you've killed your small local retailer and become accustomed to the shortcomings of the big box store BUT you've discovered online shopping and YOU have started the cycle anew.

YOU go to the store, big box or small retailer and examine the toys, handle the items, compare heft and feel - then scurry home to order from an online retailer (because why should YOU have to take home an item that has been handled by others?).

YOU demand the ease of getting your items delivered and then complain when the aisle is blocked because the big box employee that previously "might" have had a moment to direct you to aisle 4 for peroxide is NOW having to find and group groceries for someone else too lazy to get off their rascal scooter, close their laptop, and stop eating to shop.

The single largest expense in retail is employees - but YOU demand more and more while demanding to pay less and less.

So YOUR end result is going to be a faceless, nameless, auto chat with a robot - yes your product may arrive at your front door but soon you will be buying EVERYTHING sight unseen - and when YOUR demands have resulted in the online retailer being your only choice - their attention to your complaints will evaporate completely.

Gator, you don't know what you're talking about, at least where I'm concerned.  I would still go to local mom and pop places...and do to those that are still open...even though I pay more and sometimes don't have the choices of the big box places.  I'd give my left arm for a hometown grocery that isn't pushing the corporate brand, carries products in sizes I can use, and doesn't fill their aisles with stuff that almost no one I know actually buys and that blocks shopper traffic no end.  I'd love to see and honest to John Wayne butcher shop (Safeway comes closest around here) that will custom carve meat.  I'd die for someplace that sells fresh eggs, produce, and bakery products that haven't been trucked across 3/4 of the continent.

I don't want to have products like "healthy" food (which usually isn't), organic anydamnthing, the latest yuppie garbage, foods that are from places exporting their foods and recipes to us while they can't adequately feed their own populations , or the latest craze.....and I sure don't need any humongous family, party, or king size anything.

And I'd just once again like to ask about something and not be told "well, that's a vendor's area" or "we have to do that because it's corporate policy", or my least favorite "that's not my department" and have them walk away.

I'm too old to have to tolerate total inefficiency, lack of courtesy, being ignored, having to settle for store brands because they can't be bothered to truly EARN MY BUSINESS.....so I try very hard to take my business somewhere else.

Every time I go back to Utah I still go to Idle Aisle Cafe and Candy Shop in Brigham City, The Blue  Bird Restaurant and Steeds Dairy Bar in Logan, and Granny Annie's in Clearfield.  Most are still family owned and run for well over a century.  Locally I like Jamie's Waffle Express, Backburner, Jen's, Sally B's, Taco Don's, Zeke's Eatin' Place, and Oliva's Mexican.

So before you start painting us with a broad yuppie-scented brush, find out what really goes on.

I have to agree with Tru Valu, Ace, and will add Tractor Supply stores. Their service is excellent and if they are out of stock on a sales item, a rain check is given as well as a phone call that my item is in. Their employees are friendly and know were items are located. When I had my farm, Tractor Supply and Farm and Fleet were my go to stores. As for Lumber and building supplies a local owned business had everything I needed. I've heard good things about Menards, but non here so can't comment.

37 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

So before you start painting us with a broad yuppie-scented brush, find out what really goes on.

The store is stocking products YOU don't want, in sizes YOU don't need and that NO ONE (you know) buys...

How on earth do they stay in business?

Maybe they have figured out ALL those things you want don't turn a profit and that MOST (maybe not you) won't pay a premium for said items.

And businesses don't exist to be your friend - they exist to make a profit.

Because IF you REALLY wanted the things you say...

Arizona Farmers Markets - Home (arizonacommunityfarmersmarkets.com)

Yeah, might be a bit of a drive - but YOU'RE willing to go out of your way or inconvenience yourself or pay a little more for products not trucked cross country, aren't you?

Custom butchering?

Tim's Custom Meats, Inc. - Home (timscustommeats.com)

Beef Cutting - Order form - Carl's Custom Meats (carlscustommeats.com)

Just custom cuts?

Prescott Meat Company | Buy Holiday Turkey, Ham, & Steak

As to stores stocking products (healthy, organic or other countries) you DON'T wish to buy - how does that in any way affect you or is any of your business?

The world doesn't cater to you.

Yuppie broad brush?

No - perfectly aimed at that those who long for a return to a Norman Rockwell world that never was.

Be careful when you climb on your high horse - it's a long ways down. 

Creeker. When you use the term "you" it would be correct if using it to describe the general public or a majority of shoppers, in regard to whats being discussed.

I've never ordered guns online alway buy them at local gun stores. I'd love to pick up bullets at my local gun store but you're lucky if they stock any lead bullets at all let alone different calibers or weights. Yeah, I order them on line. Some of us do prefer to shop at smaller stores, mom and pops, but over time for various reasons, they do not carry everything we want. That however does not mean thst WE created the problem.

I had this happen to me in a supermarket in Moscow.  I wanted some Coke Lite which was on a top shelf. There was a girl stocking the top shelf item next to the Coke Lite. While she was getting things out of her basket, I reached up for a few bottles. To get me to move out of her way, she hip checked me.

11 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I had this happen to me in a supermarket in Moscow.  I wanted some Coke Lite which was on a top shelf. There was a girl stocking the top shelf item next to the Coke Lite. While she was getting things out of her basket, I reached up for a few bottles. To get me to move out of her way, she hip checked me.

You should have asked her if she wanted to dance!!:P

My main wardrobe is Round House brand bib overalls.  Same size and configuration for over 20 years.   Each year I'd get a couple of new pair and push old ones down for casual wear and then to work clothes.   

We just came from Crane's County store where I've bought my clothes for 50 years.   We did a walk through the mass of clothing and didn't spot the shelves.  I went up to the counter and was going to ask where they were.  Guy seen me coming and, "We can't get Round House any more.".  They have stopped selling to retail outlets.  Said you have to go online if you want them.

12 minutes ago, PowerRiverCowboy said:

Have you never dealt with VTI for gun parts ? LOL  one time will be awesome next well its been 3 weeks now 

That’s why I don’t think bad service is necessarily a norm in brick and mortar stores . I’ve experienced both grades of service in person and on the internet. 

On 9/12/2022 at 10:24 AM, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Just re-read this and you have a couple of good points but you really missed it on some others.

Later on you mention a "high horse".  Interesting, as your's seems to need an elevator so you can reach the saddle.

Because this thread is going nowhere and we seem to be a cross purposes, I'm withdrawing myself from it.

52 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Just re-read this and you have a couple of good points but you really missed it on some others.

Later on you mention a "high horse".  Interesting, as your's seems to need an elevator so you can reach the saddle.

Because this thread is going nowhere and we seem to be a cross purposes, I'm withdrawing myself from it.

I have more than once fallen out of the saddle of my own high horse. 

It is indeed a long and sobering fall.

I apologize for any personal affront.

I am sometimes overly defensive of the "customer service" profession as I witnessed first hand over 20 years of retail management the changes in priority of retailers and the added demands placed upon the "sales associate".

The inability/ unwillingness of sales people to go above and beyond is not all their fault (for reasons I listed above and many more).

And the customer has changed as well - instant gratification and the expectation of immediate product availability of every size, color and variation has lead to an "entitlement" attitude that is sometimes reacted to.

Now obviously not EVERY customer service person and not EVERY customer falls into these parameters - but enough that the circular behavior (someone is rude, someone else is rude back, someone else picks up on attitude and becomes defensive, and the negative attitude grows and becomes the expected and prepared for behavior).

Everyone is stressed and everyone is busy - sometimes we forget that we are only the center of our own universe - that the guy or girl standing in front of you is not the cause of everything annoying that has happened today.

When your interaction is satisfactory - say Thank You and mean it.

When someone is curt or dismissive - don't become angry - simply stop them and rephrase your request.  Often fun to play obliviousness to the point they realize it would be quicker to assist you than ignore you.

But we often receive what we project.

So once again, I apologize.

It's gotten exponentially worse since people started returning to work after COVID.  I've had every single experience everyone in this thread is describing, from Home Depot, to Lowes, to McDonald's, Boot Barn, and everywhere else.  On top of it all, have you noticed that restaurants are just plain dirty now?  No one is cleaning a thing.  They expect us to settle for their filth and pay higher prices than we used to while being served terribly or being downright ignored.  We even had a guy at the local bowling alley tell us to "just deal with it" when I got after him for ignoring us.  No kidding, only one employee was allowed to get the rack of pool balls, and she had been ignoring us for 20 minutes. 

4 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

I have more than once fallen out of the saddle of my own high horse. 

It is indeed a long and sobering fall.

I apologize for any personal affront.

I am sometimes overly defensive of the "customer service" profession as I witnessed first hand over 20 years of retail management the changes in priority of retailers and the added demands placed upon the "sales associate".

The inability/ unwillingness of sales people to go above and beyond is not all their fault (for reasons I listed above and many more).

And the customer has changed as well - instant gratification and the expectation of immediate product availability of every size, color and variation has lead to an "entitlement" attitude that is sometimes reacted to.

Now obviously not EVERY customer service person and not EVERY customer falls into these parameters - but enough that the circular behavior (someone is rude, someone else is rude back, someone else picks up on attitude and becomes defensive, and the negative attitude grows and becomes the expected and prepared for behavior).

Everyone is stressed and everyone is busy - sometimes we forget that we are only the center of our own universe - that the guy or girl standing in front of you is not the cause of everything annoying that has happened today.

When your interaction is satisfactory - say Thank You and mean it.

When someone is curt or dismissive - don't become angry - simply stop them and rephrase your request.  Often fun to play obliviousness to the point they realize it would be quicker to assist you than ignore you.

But we often receive what we project.

So once again, I apologize.

About ten years back I dished out some old geezer revenge.  I was out of town and needed a screwdriver.  Found a hardware store and asked the young pimply kid at the counter if they had any left handed screwdrivers.  Frowning the kid said he didn’t think they had any.  A mature voice from the back yelled they have a whole rack full of them.  Kid walk me over to their screwdrivers.  I picked up a few to site down their length.  Here’s one I declared.  I fully believe that today there is a 10 year older kid without pimples that truly believes there are left handed screwdriver.

4 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

…When someone is curt or dismissive - don't become angry - simply stop them and rephrase your request.  Often fun to play obliviousness to the point they realize it would be quicker to assist you than ignore you.…

Yeah.  I ordered a small drink.  Lady told me they didn’t have a small, only medium, large and jumbo. I then asked the lady if medium was the smallest they had.  She said yes.  Then I said then I’ll have the smallest size then.  Didn’t hear another word out of her and I got my small drink.

we talk about service - its all what an employee is willing to give and an employer is willing to tolerate when they dont , i grew up believing you do a job the BEST you can or dont sign on to do it , today there are a lot of folks that wont work and many who do that have no interest , 

"fat , drunk and stupid" is no way to go through life but it seems  a lot of folks are choosing that these days , we are breeding communism and it will kill a lot of folks off when they get it , but in the meantime we will see a decline ................full service gas stations are gone - never to return , 

the era of downsizing portions and calling them everything but small has been here forever - the packaging got smaller but the prices went up , inflation , used to be they "supersized" by adding a little product then a lot of price , just a new trend in marketing , too bad we didnt train people to understand that a smalll can be a medium or whatever they want to label it - but its still the small one they offer .....and what we want to order 

Archived