SASS Wire Forum

Not all Old Model Frames are coming with 4 clicks...

portugeejn

4 click in the "old model frame, aka black powder frame" is NO MORE. I just purchased a 44 Special with the black powder frame this last week September 2022 and it is a 3 click hammer with their new "safety". Took it apart to check all the new stuff they added, and the frame had a date of 2021. So it appears that they have made the jump to all 3 click all of the time regardless of model 1873 SAA Clone. 

Fit and finish is OK enough, with the back strap ears heavily buffed to the point that the screw heads "almost" protrude from the ear contour.  Comes with the thumb screw installed, but to Uberti's credit, a normal base pin retaining screw was included in a plastic bag inside the box.   Will be ordering the 4 click parts shortly, but having to add to the price paid just to get 4 clicks is something I am not too excited about.

I owned a couple PIetta SAA clones and liked many of the features, but couldn't get past the frame contour being so different from a Colt.  Ended up selling them both. 

96883A07-CCA2-4F17-A448-A79D3DEC89CF.jpeg Pietta

514A4240-8174-4F7E-BDEA-0ECD4A8E3512.jpeg  Uberti

3 hours ago, portugeejn said:

I owned a couple PIetta SAA clones and liked many of the features, but couldn't get past the frame contour being so different from a Colt.  Ended up selling them both. 

96883A07-CCA2-4F17-A448-A79D3DEC89CF.jpeg Pietta

514A4240-8174-4F7E-BDEA-0ECD4A8E3512.jpeg  Uberti

I agree.  Something about that Pietta frame contour really turns me off.  It looks like a cheap shortcut.  I'd much rather have the Uberti, even if it means switching out the hammer.

Pietta firing pin bushing.  Yep.  Uberti, nope.

Pietta replaceable hammer cam.  Yep.  Uberti, nope.

Pietta, stud on barrel for ejector housing.  Yep.  Uberti, nope

These are three notable features of a "real" Colt.  Of the clones - USFA, Standard, Uberti, and Pietta - only Pietta has all three.

Colt - barrel lug, hammer cam, firing pin bushing.

Pietta - all three

Standard Arms - two; hammer cam, firing pin bushing

USFA - one; firing pin bushing

Uberti - none

DSC_0012.thumb.jpeg.446147ed4dd401358e3b1843bf3399ec.jpeg

DSC_0018.thumb.jpeg.c77a7fd69535e1b6456b80172c7e2dd3.jpeg

DSC_0001.thumb.jpeg.7137891831af1246398d7ba10d6f75b6.jpeg

I did wonder why Pietta went to so much trouble with the bushing, cam, and barrel stud, but seemed to wimp out on the frame.  Perhaps the money they saved on the frame allowed them to do the other items?

11 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Pietta firing pin bushing.  Yep.  Uberti, nope.

Pietta replaceable hammer cam.  Yep.  Uberti, nope.

Pietta, stud on barrel for ejector housing.  Yep.  Uberti, nope

These are three notable features of a "real" Colt.  Of the clones - USFA, Standard, Uberti, and Pietta - only Pietta has all three.

Colt - barrel lug, hammer cam, firing pin bushing.

Pietta - all three

Standard Arms - two; hammer cam, firing pin bushing

USFA - one; firing pin bushing

Uberti - none

DSC_0012.thumb.jpeg.446147ed4dd401358e3b1843bf3399ec.jpeg

DSC_0018.thumb.jpeg.c77a7fd69535e1b6456b80172c7e2dd3.jpeg

DSC_0001.thumb.jpeg.7137891831af1246398d7ba10d6f75b6.jpeg

The firing pin bushing on one of my USFAs came loose.  Caused high primers locking up the gun.  Had it reset/staked.  Still get slightly high primers, but not enough to lock up the gun.  I also set back the cylinder with a couple of shims on the cylinder pin, so it works.  Have not had a problem with the Colts.

On 9/11/2022 at 4:12 PM, portugeejn said:

4 click in the "old model frame, aka black powder frame" is NO MORE. I just purchased a 44 Special with the black powder frame this last week September 2022 and it is a 3 click hammer with their new "safety". Took it apart to check all the new stuff they added, and the frame had a date of 2021. So it appears that they have made the jump to all 3 click all of the time regardless of model 1873 SAA Clone....

Who imported the gun?  I waited until I could check with Cimarron before responding, but I just heard back from Valerie and their Uberti Model P's with the Old Model (BP) frames are still 4-click.

Although they are gone, Armi San Marco made a pretty good clone of the Colt.   I have two of them, one of which became my Big Iron, and think they are rather decent pistols.   They have that 2 position cylinder pin for a "safety" but a Colt pin fits just fine if you wanna get rid of it.

On 9/13/2022 at 11:30 AM, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Who imported the gun?  I waited until I could check with Cimarron before responding, but I just heard back from Valerie and their Uberti Model P's with the Old Model (BP) frames are still 4-click.

It was purchased from Dixie Gun Works.  I have read that importers specify what they want, so perhaps that is the issue here.?  Regardless, I just received a trigger and had a hammer in my parts box, so it will be getting changed out. 

I decided I wanted something that looked exactly like a Black Powder Frame Colt... 

DSC_0283.thumb.JPG.952e7bee1a1f1e7a1ec9927aff238a99.JPG

• portugeejn changed the title to Not all Old Model Frames are coming with 4 clicks...
8 hours ago, McCandless said:

I decided I wanted something that looked exactly like a Black Powder Frame Colt... 

DSC_0283.thumb.JPG.952e7bee1a1f1e7a1ec9927aff238a99.JPG

Very very nice.  If I could find a nice black powder frame Colt, I would sell the one Colt SAA I do have and buy it.  The one I currently have is the only one I have ever seen in a LGS. 

Archived