SASS Wire Forum

Dillion Square Deal B Powder Bar not cycling

Col Del Rio

Howdy,

I recently got a used SDB.  The powder bar is not cycling properly therefore I am not getting the powder to drop into the shell case. The horizontal movement is supposed to be actuated by the failsafe rod. However the rod is not traveling far enough to push the bar back and forth the whole way.  The lock-links are not pushing the bar all the way. 

I have stripped and cleaned everything. I am a rookie at reloading so any advice is welcome.

V/R

Col. Del Rio 

Make sure the little square plastic piece is in place on the slide.  The slide is operated by the collet on the powder drop portion of the measure, acting on the bellcrank.  The fail-safe rod only ensures it returns to the end under the hopper.  Make sure the bellcrank is set properly in the slide.  See directions on pages 37-39 of the instruction manual. Dillon SQD Manual

This may seem like a silly reply but you have to have a case in the shell plate to activate the powder bar when the handle is cycled.  The failsafe rod just makes sure the powder bar returns to the fully closed position between strokes.  With no case in the powder die it will not cycle the powder bar fully. 

13 hours ago, Col Del Rio said:

Howdy,

I recently got a used SDB.  The powder bar is not cycling properly therefore I am not getting the powder to drop into the shell case. The horizontal movement is supposed to be actuated by the failsafe rod. However the rod is not traveling far enough to push the bar back and forth the whole way.  The lock-links are not pushing the bar all the way. 

I have stripped and cleaned everything. I am a rookie at reloading so any advice is welcome.

V/R

Col. Del Rio 

The case engaging  the powder die on upstroke is the force to operate the powder measure. The bell crank is the lever that transfer movement to the powder bar.  Make sure everything, including the little square plastic piece on the slide, Griff referred to, are set up properly. 

If all parts are in place, I suspect it is an adjustment issue.  Powder die height setting and fail safe rod may need adjusting.  

the powder funnel fits inside the #2 station powder die.  

to adjust, you loosed the screw on the collar around the powder die

remove the powder measure and turn the die in, CW, to increase the bell in the case; out, CCW, to lessen the bell

if the powder die is too high, then you will get no bell and possibly no operation of the powder measure.

once you adjust the die you put the powder measure back on,  you have to do this, and try it; and keep adjusting till you get the powder measure to operate fully and the proper belling of the case.

Observation--this is a bit time consuming especially with the powder measure being needed to be reinstalled each time. 

▲ my solution was to get an aftermarket quick release for the powder measure.  I can fine tune in record time

https://entirelycrimson.com/collections/dillon-square-deal/products/quick-disconnect-for-dillon-powder-alarm

or

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153902522701?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338722076&customid=&toolid=10050 granted this is from Australia

♦ don't forget to retighten the screw around the powder die collar to keep your adjustments from changing.

Archived