SASS Wire Forum

best aftermarket extractor for Uberti 1873 rifle?

Last Call Saul

My Uberti 1873 started having issues with extracting spent cases - looks like the tension on the extractor is gone... sounds like a common problem.

which is the "best aftermarket" extractor for it to solve this problem permanetly?

Any of the aftermarket extractor is a better choice than the factory extractor.  However this is not a permanent fix, you will eventually change them when they wore out but the wear in tear will be delayed a lot longer than the factory part.  Cowboys/Indians, Pioneer gunworks parts are excellent.  There are others that sells them.  I am sure someone will chime in here,  I have used aftermarket parts but I regularly check them for any wear and tear or looseness.  YMMV.

Don't know which is BEST, but Cowboys and Indian extractor works fine for me.  

good luck, GJ

Cowboy and Indians Store sells a good extractor.

if the old one is not broken, you can rejuvenate it by taking it out and restoring the bend in the extractor.  Don’t try to just put it in a vice and bend it with pliers or it will break.  With it removed from the bolt, lay it flat on a lead block or ingot and tap the bend back using the rounded end of a ball-peen hammer.  The lead block will allow the steel extractor to bend evenly without breaking.

If you don't have one already, you will need one of those aluminum block jigs to hold the bolt while you tap out the pin holding the extractor. And to put the new one in.

Got mine from Scarlett. 

Hugs included.:rolleyes:

I'm in this same situation. My Uberti .38/.357 had issues; I bought another extractor and had a friend help me/show me what to do to replace the extractor. Action seemed to work fine without ammo; however when I put my ammo in the magazine, the ammo would not extract. After taking the '73 apart again, we discovered that the extractor would not "hold" a .38/.357 round, so we put the original extractor back in after "working" on it a bit. Further checking found there are different part numbers for the Uberti '73 depending on caliber. Apparently, I have an extractor for a .45 caliber round. Thanks for the info on where to go for parts.

Waiting on C&I extractor... Meanwhile took the rifle apart to look at the bolt tab and at the extractor closer.  

Looks like extractor is tired.  Does the tab look good?  it is a replaceable tab, should I get it as well?

20220913_112133.jpg

20220913_112208.jpg

First of all look for carbon buildup under the extractor.  Straight cases leave a lot of carbon blowback that gets under it.

Ol'  #4

Cartridge support tab looks fine.  Not ready for replacement now.

Use the finger tip measure to see if the extractor leaf has lost it's tension.  Pull upwards on extractor tip with the tip of your finger.  If you get the leaf (leg) of the extractor up so you see daylight between top of bolt and bottom of extractor, and it's not yet killing your finger tip, then the tension has fallen off too low from use.

I too would check for fouling build up under the leg of the extractor.  Does not show much surface wear.

good luck, GJ

Cowboy and Indians Store sells a good extractor.

if the old one is not broken, you can rejuvenate it by taking it out and restoring the bend in the extractor.  Don’t try to just put it in a vice and bend it with pliers or it will break.  With it removed from the bolt, lay it flat on a lead block or ingot and tap the bend back using the rounded end of a ball-peen hammer.

Or you could just spend the $50 and buy a new one from C&I Store.

yes.  took the extractor out - and there was about 1/32" carbon buildup layer under it... now it actually sits flush with the bolt body.  I am still going to wait for the C&I extractor to be here on Friday and use that one

Uberti bolts vary in their dimensions by quite a bit.  Do not be surprised if the new extractor is not a "drop in" fit.  If it does not fit I would just stick the old one back in as you have found that lack of maintenance was the problem.

On 9/11/2022 at 10:29 AM, Lawdog Dago Dom said:

If you don't have one already, you will need one of those aluminum block jigs to hold the bolt while you tap out the pin holding the extractor. And to put the new one in.

Got mine from Scarlett. 

Hugs included.:rolleyes:

B5D86FFD-D0DA-4251-9DC2-C4D0B544C068.jpeg

7 hours ago, Silver Creek Jack said:

Worth every penny!

Does this set up in a vice or is it a stand alone piece?

I'm positive I need this. :D

On 9/13/2022 at 11:46 AM, Ol Number4 said:

First of all look for carbon buildup under the extractor.  Straight cases leave a lot of carbon blowback that gets under it.

Ol'  #4

100%..

45 Colt with Trailboss WILL require cleaning this gunk out. 

10 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

You can clamp it in a vise if you want, but it was designed to be a stand alone tool for your workbench. 
Hence the name “ Bolt Bench Block”. 

However you set it up,  the "Block" is a wizard of a tool!!!!!

If you work on 66 or 73 models, it is a must!

Ol'  #4

4 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Yep as said above ,stand alone.

Archived