SASS Wire Forum

White 73

Buck Garrett

Came across a delux .357 20" 73 from Taylors & co at LGS on consignment. The guns finish was in the white. I can't recall ever seeing one used at a match. What are the pros, and cons of this finish? Is it just a personal preference much like stainless, or blue revolvers? Taylors has these rifles on their current website, but out of stock.

My wife used to shoot one 73 deluxe in white, hardly ever cleaned it.. 

NO RUSTING ,

but we are in Tulsa Time, so maybe that affects it.  LOL

"in the white" Ubertis are blued first before polishing.  I'm told that helps with corrosion resistance.  There was a "white" Henry in a shop I used to work for and it would regularly corrode but it was being handled daily, in and out of the safe (hard to handle a Henry without grabbing the barrel).  I think some will rust quicker than others.   I wouldn't hesitate to buy one but would be sure to wipe it down well each time, like Loophole LaRue mentioned.

Taylors has sold these for years.  I have seen several at the West Virginia state Match which is only a short drive from Taylors.  They said it was just never blued in the finishing process.  So, yes it will readily rust if not provided with the proper care and kept oiled.  Yes, they do look different, but don't for a minute think they are stainless.

I have shot a Uberti 66 yellowboy in the white for about 15 years, live in Wisconsin, no rust or surface problems, wipe down with light oil on a rag.

2 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

They look cool, but depending upon local climate could be a real PITA to maintain.

I'll let you know.

Sure looks cool though.

I might turn into one of those guys that wipe down there guns after touching them. 

NAH!

:lol:

Let 'er rust.

This is the 73 that prompted my post. It appears to be untouched, and unfired. At least not many rounds down range. It's priced as a new one on Talylors web site.

Waimea did you buy a new one from Taylors, and how long of a wait?

73-3.jpg

73-2.jpg

73-1.jpg

73.jpg

I have 2 Browning 92's that I have removed all the bluing from. I treat them same as my other guns. Clean after use, wipe down occasionally.  I have never had any problems with rust and I live 1.5 miles from the ocean in central Kalifornia. Maybe what the other Pard said about the bluing "absorbing" into the steel may be true.

I like the saddle worn look.

Good Luck, Pards

20210127_170611.thumb.jpg.4309ef5e0830b9a6df409b045095cd19.jpg

I'm about 200' from Martha's Vineyard Sound, the waters of which communicate directly with the Atlantic Ocean.  Keep them clean and wiped down with your choice of oil/protectant, and you should have no issues.  None of the guns below are stainless; they all live in my safe.

LL

DSCN2113.JPG

I have two '73s in the white, one .357, the other 45 Colt.  Both are Cody-matics.  I've been shooting the .38 in matches for 3 or 4 years.  I clean my guns every 10 matches or so.  There is no obvious rust on the gun, maybe just a few little specks on the side of the hammer, or on the muzzle crown.  I do wipe them down with an oily rag occasionally, and some oil spreads over the gun from handling while cleaning and other maintenance.  But no special care other than what I do with my blued/CCH Cody-matic. 

No special care, no rust. And I live in coastal Virginia.  I think they look beautiful in the white, and they match my stainless Rugers.  I just wish SKB had made a stainless version for Ithaca.  

On 9/11/2022 at 12:36 PM, Buck Garrett said:

This is the 73 that prompted my post. It appears to be untouched, and unfired. At least not many rounds down range. It's priced as a new one on Talylors web site.

Waimea did you buy a new one from Taylors, and how long of a wait?

73-3.jpg

73-2.jpg

73-1.jpg

73.jpg

I bought as new from a dealer on GunBroker.

$1275

Thought it was pretty good considering the ridiculous inflation we are in right now.

It is stiff and obviously not tuned at all. For sure no short stroke.

I bought one from Taylor’s at Winter Range for my wife about six years ago.  When new, it was short stroked with a complete action job by Lefty Wheeler. It has received very little special attention and the finish remains perfect today.  

So much of the rust issue is "where do you live." I've had BP revolver literally rust while I watched at the line -- on a hot humid day in Missouri. But I had a shooting pard out in Arizona tell he would regularly leave a white-finished CW musket a day or so before cleaning it, and never had any problems. I've never seen an all-white 1873 -- I bet that's interesting.

Archived