SASS Wire Forum

Stay off the grass

Perro Del Diablo

I have been working the front yard since late winter. Only thing that was growing were sand burrs. I could spend an hour pulling them fill 5 gallon bucket and seemed to do no good. between herbicide, fire, pulling, and fertilizing I am seeing improvement. Seeded Bermuda grass watered regular then 2 weeks of rain mostly green grass now. The bare spots are even filling in. A daily routine of walking yard and pulling weeds now only getting a handful of weeds at a time. Next will start working back yard. Of course now i understand.

You Kids Get Off My Lawn Cranky Old Man GIF - You Kids Get Off My Lawn  Cranky Old Man Suburbia - Discover & Share GIFs

Lawns were invented by buttheads that wanted their neighbors to feel bad about their own lawns. The buttheads openly critique other’s lawns at neighborhood get togethers or in passing neighbors and chatting about the weather. 

My solution to lawn care is this: If it’s green and doesn’t have pokey thingies and can be mowed to 3-4 inches in length it is fine. Clover is wonderful as it never grows too high but never covers all the ground so I end up mowing. Dandelions, a pox upon uppity OCD lawn guys is fine with me too. God meant for the weeds to flourish. I am just helping out. 

Lawns were invented so you couldn't sneak close to the castle without being seen by sentries!

Is that why my house is surrounded by pasture's with grass and the horses mow it for me????  I thought it is for the great view!  :D

• Y

One plus to living in the Tucson area is that there are very, very few grass yards.  I never hear a lawn mower. I don’t even own a lawn mower or a weed eater.  I do love this beautiful Sonora Desert.  

I apologize.  I hope my post isn’t too snarky.  

2 hours ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

One plus to living in the Tucson area is that there are very, very few grass yards.  I never hear a lawn mower. I don’t even own a lawn mower or a weed eater.  I do love this beautiful Sonora Desert.  

I apologize.  I hope my post isn’t too snarky.  

My front yard when I was living in the high desert was all natural vegetation surrounded by 11 yards of rock. Easy to maintain and didn’t need to be watered. 

When I was a kid, nobody I knew or related to had maintained yards as such. Poultry was free roaming.  Cars and trucks parked in front of the house in the mud and dirt.  We would pass houses that had yard fences and flowers.  They had actual driveways that led to garages or sheds. But I didn't know them. 

Mary got a new zero turn this spring.  She probably mowes 10 acres.

I live across the road from the South Nation Wetlands Preserve. All natural.

I gave up trying to keep a lawn after three re-soddings in 11 years and seeded heavily with white clover.

Choked out and killed out most of the weeds.

And it's green.

Archived