SASS Wire Forum

The ones you wish you could have back

Highwall

When I was in my 20's my dad gifted me with a 75th anniversary model 99 Savage lever action rifle in .308.

But back then I was totally into IHMSA and traded it for a Wichita International in 30/30.

I did good with it in competition but have often wondered how I would have done with the Savage in hunting seasons.

wm_9965980.jpg

H1193-L70203831 (2).jpg

When I was in my early teens I was gifted a Savage 99 take down in 300 Savage including the hard case that came with them back then. It wasn't "cool" enough for me so I traded it in on some bolt action rifle with a scope that I can't even remember the brand anymore. Sure wish I had that ol'99 takedown back..........

When I was a kid, my family owned several Savage 99s, in .308 and .250 Savage.

I took my first deer with the 250-3000, and to this day it's still one of my favorite cartridges. 

All of the Model 99 rifles we owned shot well , with 2 that were surprisingly accurate.

Wish I could find another 250 like that one.

My service firearm.  One income and four mouths to feed it had to be sold when I changed careers.

S&W 9mm model 459?  More for sentimental reasons.

Every single one I bought at Roses or Kmart or at a flea market for $50-75, cleaned up and had fun with, then sold;that are now worth $500+
Mosin Nagants for $500...SKSs for 6, Enfields for 6+.....
In fact, every one I ever had....
Worst though...the Belgian Fn FAL I had bought before my divorce that was a full auto deactivated for civilian use...all matching, beautiful wood, the whole shebang...I think it was 2 years later the value on that thing went from 1 k to about 5 k-and I sold it for the 700 I bought it for.

The Alvarez-Yairi DY85 that I won in 1976 by picking a guitar for 87 hours.  I traded it for a Farfisa Combo Compact organ and an antique drum machine.  (hey, you didn't specify "gun") :D

In the Fall of 1971 the family was headed back to the ranch from town in Upstate NY.

Dad saw an impromptu flea market with 15 or 20 tables and we stopped.

I found a Remington semi-auto .22 with bakelite stocks for $15.

Dad loaned me the money and that baby was mine. I paid him as soon as we got back to the house.

First gun I ever bought on my own.

Lost it in the house fire we had in the Winter of '72.

Lost a bunch of other stuff too but that was one of the hardest.

A 1969 Winchester mdl 94 in .44RemMag I bought from the Ship's Store for $69 and a 1972 Winchester mdl 64A in .30-30 I won on a 5$ raffle ticket.  Both were stolen by a low-life pile of bovine excrement soon after I come home from VN in 1974.  

I will do all of you one better showing my crazy addiction to single action revolvers. 
bought a Colt 1911 from a lady, her father’s, see 132xxx for $200. Over a year later I was at a gun show and someone had a Hawes in .44 mag with a gun belt/holster that fit my waist, for $400. This was back in 90, and fall I had was $200, but the Colt was in the car. So I traded the Colt and 200 for it. Sold that a year later as I heard there were parts for it anymore. 
That’s the deal that will haunt me forever!

3 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

I wish that I had all of them back...except a .357 Desert Eagle, what a POS that was.

I wish you had the Broomhandle back. That thing was the coolest.

2 hours ago, Waimea said:

I wish you had the Broomhandle back. That thing was the coolest.

For the prices they're going for now...so do I. It was a cool gun and very accurate also, especially with the stock on it.

My first rifle, purchased when I turned 18. A Marlin 44 mag 1894. Paid $185.

:mellow:

My Dad bought me an 03A3 in Middleburg, VA sometime back in the late 80’s. It wasn’t a museum piece but it wasn’t a CMP parts kit either. Later traded it on the first Marlin 1895 45-79 I ever had. Mainly nostalgic for me but I wish I still had the old warhorse. 

Howdy Pards

I could cry bitter tears for the irons I’ve sold and almost immediately lapsed into sellers remorse. Miss them!

But no use for bitter tears … what is done is done … no way to unring the bell.

A matter of satisfaction for me would be the ones I nearly parted company with … but held on to and still own and cherish.

A question for you Pards would be: what irons did you nearly part with but , with great satisfaction, decided to keep them?

Keep on the Sunny side.

Adios

Fort Reno Kid 

On 9/10/2022 at 8:47 AM, Choctaw Jack said:

When I was a kid, my family owned several Savage 99s, in .308 and .250 Savage.

I took my first deer with the 250-3000, and to this day it's still one of my favorite cartridges. 

All of the Model 99 rifles we owned shot well , with 2 that were surprisingly accurate.

Wish I could find another 250 like that one.

The only '99 I have is in 250 Savage. Very nice shooting cartridge....

21 hours ago, Fort Reno Kid said:

Howdy Pards

I could cry bitter tears for the irons I’ve sold and almost immediately lapsed into sellers remorse. Miss them!

But no use for bitter tears … what is done is done … no way to unring the bell.

A matter of satisfaction for me would be the ones I nearly parted company with … but held on to and still own and cherish.

A question for you Pards would be: what irons did you nearly part with but , with great satisfaction, decided to keep them?

Keep on the Sunny side.

Adios

Fort Reno Kid 

FRK I would have to say it would be my first and second rifles . First was a Savage single shot (No3)  that I was given to me by my grandpa at age 7. Together we killed off many tin cans from the big tree stump on the farm. It was my hunting companion until I started hunting deer. I bagged many squirrels, rabbits and other critters not worth mentioning with it and my Crackshot 72 (second rifle) . Yes, I even shot one of grandma's chickens. She was not happy but we had fried chicken that day for supper!

When I got into competition I considered trading them in for something more target centered but they had little resale value and I just couldn't let them go for sentimental reasons. I even broke off a piece of the forearm back in the day on the 72  and paid $40 to get it repaired! That's probably more than it was worth at the time. 

I will give them to my grandson in a couple more years when he's of age, I just hope he will enjoy them as much as I did but I doubt it.

The farm is long gone and his dad is a Marine vet with a passion for multi capacity pistols and rifles.

I reckon the good ole days of simplicity (one shot one kill) are long gone.

I just pray he will appreciate the nostalgia of my 1885 when the day comes. I would be fine with it just hanging over the fireplace! 

Savage_3D_v_1517442067.jpg

images.jpg

pix408716916.jpg

Back about 1995 I stumbled across a pistol in a pawnshop. I knew the owner and he let me handle it several times, and I knew it was something fairly special -- a Texas Longhorn Arms Target Model in .32 H&R magnum. For those of you who don't know, these were interesting single actions with the loading gate and ejector rod on the opposite side of the revolver from where they are on a Colt SAA -- the idea being a right-handed shooter could flick open the gate with his thumb, and eject cartridges without changing hands.

I was poor, but I got lucky --  the roof of the pawn shop leaked and I was able to buy it at a reduced price because it received minor bluing damage on one side of its cylinder.
I kept it for a while, but I didn't want to shoot it, as I knew it was unusual. Finally a guy came along and the price was right and I sold it, and bought a pair of Ruger SSMs in .32. Then I traded them for a H&R Trapdoor Officers Model in .45-70 that I still have. Now, the SSMs are worth more than the current price of the H&R, but that's not the worst part.
Later on a fellow saw me mention the Texas Longhorn Arms revolver here in the wire and reached out to me -- he was writing a book on their production. He asked me if I'd recognize the serial number -- I could. He informed me that the one I'd owned was the only one ever made in that caliber.
I try not to cry a lot when I think about this.

We talking cars, guns or women?….cuz she was hotter than a $2 pistol, she was the fastest thing around..long and lean, every young man’s dream turned every head in town! Built and fun to handle too!

10 hours ago, El Catorce said:

We talking cars, guns or women?….cuz she was hotter than a $2 pistol, she was the fastest thing around..long and lean, every young man’s dream turned every head in town! Built and fun to handle too!

Cars and Women (or men for those that prefer) come and go, but a good gun will typically cost less, age more gracefully, requires less maintenance, and will continue to perform long past your prime!

these threads are a trap ...to make you regret , ill not play as there are way to many to even start on this list , happy keeping what i have now and regretting the few ill let go of in the future , but there are times when you just have to let some go to good homes ....i have one going next month that ill regret but its going the right place - will live on in great care and get used 

Sometimes it's good to remanence what you've had and enjoyed over the years. The ones you've hung onto are dearest to your heart! 

Archived