SASS Wire Forum

WTS .577 Snider Carbine w/Provenance

Dusty Morningwood

PRICE NOW FOR CARBINE ALONE. This is an interesting Snider carbine in .577.  It came from the almost 200 year old hoard of British colonial military weapons from the Lagan Silekhana Palace in Katmandu, Nepal.  The carbine was manufactured in Birmingham, England and marketed by J.C. & A Lord with offices in London, Birmingham and Bombay. This carbine was likely purchased through the Bombay unit for use by the Royal Nepallese Guard.  The carbine has a 20.5" barrel with faint rifling. The fancy walnut stock is checkered and held to barrel by a single wedge.  Metal and wood still have storage grease.  Metal in white with mottled finish.  Stock has two identified defects: A chip out of the toe and a period repair on right side of forestock.  Actin is nice and tight and has Snider logo and British proofs.  . If you would like to buy brass, I have 36 formed from 24 gauge Magtech for $110 -exactly what I have in them. Or, you can easily make "Snider Chow" from plastic 28 ga hulls using round balls. Carbine alone $600 + Shipping.

20220821_070344.jpg

20220821_070418.jpg

20220821_070236.jpg

20220821_070643.jpg

20220821_070706.jpg

20220821_070721.jpg

20220821_070315.jpg

20220821_070528.jpg

20220821_070611.jpg

20220827_180508.jpg

20220827_164014.jpg

20220827_164000.jpg

20220821_070552.jpg

20220821_070843.jpg

Sunday Bump with modification and price drop.

Howdy Pards

Just a comment for those considering this iron.

I have a similar Snider and reload for it.

Those are a HOOT to shoot. Touching off one of those at a range will draw a crowd.

Use black powder only. DON’T DON’T DON’T even think about smokeless.

Keep on the Sunny side!

Adios

Fort Reno Kid 

10 minutes ago, Fort Reno Kid said:

Howdy Pards

Just a comment for those considering this iron.

I have a similar Snider and reload for it.

Those are a HOOT to shoot. Touching off one of those at a range will draw a crowd.

Use black powder only. DON’T DON’T DON’T even think about smokeless.

Keep on the Sunny side!

Adios

Fort Reno Kid 

I would say they are actually a Hoot and a Half to shoot!

Reduced to bottom.

Updated description.

That looks like a musket cap type percussion cone. How does that work with brass shells? Do you leave the primer out of the brass so the flame from the percussion cone can enter the primer hole on the brass?

24 minutes ago, Sgt Duncan said:

That looks like a musket cap type percussion cone. How does that work with brass shells? Do you leave the primer out of the brass so the flame from the percussion cone can enter the primer hole on the brass?

It has a firing pin in a rotating block.  Uses CF cartridges.

Bump to top for a good Pard.

As mentioned in an earlier post, I have a Snider and, to repeat, they are a HOOT to shoot. 

Forget exactly where I got brass and plastic 24 gauge shells but believe it could be Graf & Sons and/or Track of the Wolf. Lee Precision makes a 60 caliber round ball mould. Bot a mould for 59 caliber conical minie ball but forget the source. Round balls work best for me.

Keep on the Sunny side!

Adios

Fort Reno Kid 

2 hours ago, Fort Reno Kid said:

Bump to top for a good Pard.

As mentioned in an earlier post, I have a Snider and, to repeat, they are a HOOT to shoot. 

Forget exactly where I got brass and plastic 24 gauge shells but believe it could be Graf & Sons and/or Track of the Wolf. Lee Precision makes a 60 caliber round ball mould. Bot a mould for 59 caliber conical minie ball but forget the source. Round balls work best for me.

Keep on the Sunny side!

Adios

Fort Reno Kid 

In a carbine, I think the plastic hulls, cut to length and using round ball is most economical way to go.  

Archived