SASS Wire Forum

I think Ruger is going to sell allot of these

Buckshot Bob

2 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

I’m just trying to be an enabler :) . I just see this as a great advancement for the AR10 , the Rogue is POF’s cheaper and lighter di version, but still $1800 . The thing weighs just under 6lb with a 16.5 in bbl. For years people have been trying to jam all kinds of cartridges into a AR15 to get a more capable cartridge. This design solves allot of problems. At Rugers price point I’m guessing they will initially be pretty hard to find . I’m also wondering if they will cut into enough of the the other manufacturers AR10 sales . Sig, Daniel Defense, etc…. , that it will cause them to either discontinue what they are currently making or come out with a competitive gun. With the amount of AR manufacturers anymore if Rugers sales are brisk I would think someone would pick up the ball and run with it. 

I agree with everything you said here. I have wanted an affordable.308 semiauto for quite some time now and it appears I may be able to scratch them at itch soon. 
When I first read about the Ruger I immediately started looking for one then my experiences with the POS Remington R51 came to mind. I will definitely end up with a .308 semiauto, but I will get one when:

1. I am confident of the design. 
2. I have the money. 
3. If it makes sense. 

#3 comes into play if I still live in WV next Spring when I buy a house. If I end up in PA they do not allow semiautos for big game. One of the reason I want a .308 AR is for hunting. BUT! I may just dump my AR-15 to fund the SFAR. 

Quite honestly, I have always considered the AR-15 to be inadequate. To me it’s like wanting a good steak, exiting the highway and finding a Denny’s. Sure Denny’s can make a steak, but it just ain’t as good or satisfying so you head back down the highway and at every exit is a Denny’s…

No matter how cool you dress up an AR, you still have a “poodle shooter” as we called them in the Navy. 
No offense meant. Just my opinion. 

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

I like them both, I have a AR15 with a 20” heavy bbl on it, in 223. It’s great for vermin. It doesn’t even move when you touch it off, so you can see the woodchuck explode. 

Oh, for hunting small game the .223 is an excellent round. I just cannot buy into it as a self defense round. 
It has always baffled me how guys will sit and talk about handgun rounds and will discuss energy and physics and bullet construction and belittle the guy with the .32 or .38 over their choice of the .44 or .45 caliber and in the next breath talk about how their AR-15 is the most bada**ed home defense gun they have ever “built” (assembled). 

I look at it this way. There is a reason many states won’t allow hunting ammunition smaller than .25 caliber. 

Also, I don’t use a gun to wound so that it takes two others to carry off the wounded thus taking 3 out of the picture. That was the original intent of the AR in battle. Though, big game hunting isn’t a battle, if you get my drift. 

It’s sorta like 9mm vs 45 . The 223 certainly has killed allot of people. I used to work with a Vietnam vet who loved his M16 . I’ve spoken with gulf war vets that love them although many have said it takes 3 to truly anchor someone. The military seems to feel the need for more gun with the adoption of the new sig. I guess if it’s worked for you, you will trust it . My father still won’t carry anything but a 1911 in 45, and says if he needed a rifle again it would be a Garand. He hates the M1 carbine , but once again I’ve talked to WW2 and Korean vets that loved them. 
Having bow hunted since I was 12 , and seeing that has about the lowest amount of energy of any thing your going to use to kill a deer I’m going with shot placement as the key. But I gotta admit more gun can possibly make up for marginal shot placement, probably why 12ga buckshot is so popular up close 

On 9/9/2022 at 3:44 PM, Alpo said:

An acronym can be pronounced as a word. North Atlantic treaty organization - NATO. That's an acronym Federal bureau of investigation - FBI. FBI is not a word, and it is not an acronym. CIA is not an acronym. EBR is not an acronym. MSR is not an acronym. SASS is an acronym. PGA is not.

If the letters cannot be pronounced as a word, then technically it is an initialism.

Y'all don't care. Most of you will still continue to say USA is an acronym. But it's not.

FBI=Feebee
CIA=Keyuh
EBR=Eeber

MSR=Messer
PGA=Grocery Store
USA=Oosuh.

Almost anything can be acronymed.

37 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

It’s sorta like 9mm vs 45 . The 223 certainly has killed allot of people. I used to work with a Vietnam vet who loved his M16 . I’ve spoken with gulf war vets that love them although many have said it takes 3 to truly anchor someone. The military seems to feel the need for more gun with the adoption of the new sig. I guess if it’s worked for you, you will trust it . My father still won’t carry anything but a 1911 in 45, and says if he needed a rifle again it would be a Garand. He hates the M1 carbine , but once again I’ve talked to WW2 and Korean vets that loved them. 
Having bow hunted since I was 12 , and seeing that has about the lowest amount of energy of any thing your going to use to kill a deer I’m going with shot placement as the key. But I gotta admit more gun can possibly make up for marginal shot placement, probably why 12ga buckshot is so popular up close 

Yep, I do understand. I guess having confidence is the key. ;)

5 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Heck, after thinking about it, I just may go ahead and dump my AR to fund an SFAR type rifle. If I end up in PA I have 30-30s I can use for deer. :D

You could always convert the Ruger from semi-auto to bolt action. 

6 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

You could always convert the Ruger from semi-auto to bolt action. 

5 hours ago, Buckshot Bob said:

Just turn off the gas and it’s a straight pull gun :) 

I didn’t even think about that. Thanks very much. :D

6 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I didn’t even think about that. Thanks very much. :D

You might want to see what the game wardens in the state you’re going to hunt would say . But if someone made a gas regulator with no holes in it ? Don’t think it would be too hard to make 

12 hours ago, Buckshot Bob said:

. I used to work with a Vietnam vet who loved his M16

My dad was in Vietnam. Absolutely HATES the M-16 and all it’s children. He has no tolerance for anything that is unreliable and twice in Vietnam when he really needed it, his M16 jammed on the first shot. His primary was an M-60, he was in a gun truck. But those two M16 failures still live in his memory like they happened yesterday. If he hears me say I took my AR15 to the range, first thing out of his mouth is “how many times did it jam”.  I can’t convince him otherwise and he has no interest in firing mine.  Of course he has been known to give away guns that jammed, like I said he has no use for a gun that jams. 

All that being said, I love my AR, and have been lusting for a AR in 308. That Ruger may be just the ticket!

16 minutes ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

My dad was in Vietnam. Absolutely HATES the M-16 and all it’s children. He has no tolerance for anything that is unreliable and twice in Vietnam when he really needed it, his M16 jammed on the first shot. His primary was an M-60, he was in a gun truck. But those two M16 failures still live in his memory like they happened yesterday. If he hears me say I took my AR15 to the range, first thing out of his mouth is “how many times did it jam”.  I can’t convince him otherwise and he has no interest in firing mine.  Of course he has been known to give away guns that jammed, like I said he has no use for a gun that jams. 

All that being said, I love my AR, and have been lusting for a AR in 308. That Ruger may be just the ticket!

I think it’s all about how they treated you . The last job my dad had before he got out of the army was a range officer, so he got to shoot allot. This was when the military was just adopting the M14. He really disliked it, said they jammed all the time and it was under powered compared to a 30-06. Said he always shot his best scores with a Garand and shot better scores with a 03A3 than the M14, he hates them. He also had a valid point that it’s hard to hide from a Garand with a clip full of ap rounds. He said they always liked the black tip stuff whenever they could get ahold of it. His favorite guns to this day are a Garand, Thompson and the 1911. I guess I attribute his problems with the M14 to it being new and all the bugs not being worked out. Everything you read also says initially the M16 was terrible “mostly due to ammo”. But with all the tweaks they have done to it it’s certainly reliable today. 
Im guessing there’s going to be people who want their M4’s back when they get the new Sigs. 

9 hours ago, Buckshot Bob said:

You might want to see what the game wardens in the state you’re going to hunt would say . But if someone made a gas regulator with no holes in it ? Don’t think it would be too hard to make 

Remembering how nit picky PA game wardens and law enforcement is in PA I wouldn’t doubt the sight of an AR type rifle in the woods during hunting might just cause a heart attack. :lol:

9 hours ago, Buckshot Bob said:

Like I said I do my best to be an enabler. If guns were alcohol I’d give a drunk a drink :) 

I have been guilty of this as well. 

Archived