SASS Wire Forum

End of an Era, Queen Elizabeth II Has Died

Subdeacon Joe

9 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

Show me, I had formidable history teachers. 

You can look it up on google or wherever! 

https://history.howstuffworks.com/historical-events/was-george-washington-really-offered-king-us.htm

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An interesting piece about royalty.

Stephen Freeman

Cynicism at bay: The death of Queen Elizabeth focuses the world's attention for a time on the strange phenomenon of royalty. It carries with it a numinous sense, a hint of the divine. In the world of modern consumer democracy, we normally see the world through the lens of cynicism. The spectacles of our culture, magnified through hype, tend to pale in comparison to a simple royal wave of the hand.
Modern religion often carries less drama and majesty than a rock concert (which it often resembles). Our institutions and symbols have long been so abused and tarnished that they fail to move us.
As an Orthodox Christian, I am constantly aware of how unusual the dignity and symbolism are that characterize our liturgies. Many of our vestments originated in the courts of kings and emperors. Our bishops wear crowns. I have been the subject of an ordination service where a mere man is elevated to priesthood. In our weddings, a man and a woman are crowned, becoming kings and queens in God's heavenly realm.
For a short time in this next week, much of the world's cynicism will be held at bay as we mourn the passing of a monarch, unable to explain why it seems important.
It is important, I think, because, despite every human weakness, kingship (or queenship) is an echo of heaven, an instinct for hierarchy that we know to be true within ourselves, while we outwardly proclaim our preference for democracy.
In truth, we long for someone better than ourselves to rule us. We sadly know that those who now rule us are no better than ourselves, and often much worse. We are the children of heaven and we long for heaven's king and wish in the depths of our heart for His mercy, goodness, wisdom, and kindness.
For this week, we will rightly honor even a shadow of that heavenly goodness. In doing this, we honor the best that is within our hearts.
May the cynicism of our days be quiet...give us a little time...please.

1 hour ago, Buckshot Bob said:

The Queen getting some trigger time . And while I like this photo the American in me thinks guns for me but not for thee 

image.png.0e23032dc0c8ad703015f70ce3ad8a7a.png

I agree if she was pro-gun for the "commoners" I think she would have put up a stink about the draconian laws they have!

3 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I agree if she was pro-gun for the "commoners" I think she would have put up a stink about the draconian laws they have!

She might also have know were best to spend her political coin.  She caught a lot of flak for waiting something like 8 days to go to Dunblane  after the mass shooting there.  Took a while for her to recover politically from it.

ADDED:

I just read that because of "constitutional principles" the monarch doesn't get involved in controversial political matters, which is why King Charles III is stepping back from his climate change activism.

On 9/9/2022 at 12:58 AM, Major Crimes said:

I swore my allegiance to her as a soldier in 1982.

She has well and truly earned her rest and to be with her husband again.

I also swore my allegiance to her as a soldier, but in 1960. I changed to the RCAF in 1963 and received the Queen's Commission in 1969.  I retired in 1987.

For anyone who ever noticed the E II R  of the queen, it’s called the Royal Cypher. I looked up whether Charles’ has been designed yet. Yes it was diamond encrusted as his tie pin during the formalities of the signing ceremony.  He has had time to prepare.

9 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

For anyone who ever noticed the E II R  of the queen, it’s called the Royal Cypher. I looked up whether Charles’ has been designed yet. Yes it was diamond encrusted as his tie pin during the formalities of the signing ceremony.  He has had time to prepare.

Good Lord!   Not only stamps and coins, but the mail boxes since they have the Royal Cypher!

image.png.7c93df749711bc136324a80baa2533b7.png

2 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Good Lord!   Not only stamps and coins, but the mail boxes since they have the Royal Cypher!

image.png.7c93df749711bc136324a80baa2533b7.png

and there are different crowns for a King or Queen.

All of our buttons, banners or colours that are Queens banners will need to be changed. No doubt it will be done over time like our coins.

Difference Between King and Queen Crown. Although the king and queen crown refer to the same head regalia, there are some distinguishing aspects. Shape; The queen’s crown, also referred to the Royal crown is made with depressed arches. The king’s crown also called the Imperial crown, on the other hand, has arches that rise to the centre.

I was a huge fan of her dignity, grace, and humor and was thrilled beyond measure to actually get a glimpse of her at the diamond jubilee procession on the Thames.  BabyGirl was, in 2012, grand poobah of Olympic Broadcasting and living in London with her boys, both scouts.  She was Akela.  The troop was co-ed.  She insisted that the troop participate (she's not even my Queen but this is IMPORTANT) and we wound up down front at St Katherine's Wharf to watch the flotilla (the food was elegant).  I personally stood two little girls on a chair so they could see over the fence when Her Majesty, Charles & Camilla, and Will & Kate passed by.

I wish His Majesty all the very best.  Through it all he has been the dutiful son & in training since he was four years old.

12 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

She might also have know were best to spend her political coin.  She caught a lot of flak for waiting something like 8 days to go to Dunblane  after the mass shooting there.  Took a while for her to recover politically from it.

ADDED:

I just read that because of "constitutional principles" the monarch doesn't get involved in controversial political matters, which is why King Charles III is stepping back from his climate change activism.

Wars are pretty political.

1 hour ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Certainly, but will enough time pass and societal changes occur that his reign is remembered as anything more than after Elizabeth II and before William V.

I think you are right on the money there MMH. 

Although even a caretaker has an important job.

8 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Church of England is Anglican. Church of Scotland is Presbyterian.  I did not know that.

I was baptized Church of England, now known as Anglican.  My wife was baptized Presbyterian.  My father in law used to kid me about belonging to "That English church."

10 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Certainly, but will enough time pass and societal changes occur that his reign is remembered as anything more than after Elizabeth II and before William V.

Who can say what will occur during his reign. Only time will tell.

Considering today's date, I thought it would be appropriate to add this about HRH, Queen Elizabeth II

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11193465/How-Queen-repeatedly-reached-pond-9-11.html

The monarch, who died on Thursday aged 96, acted quickly and ordered the US National Anthem be played outside Buckingham Palace just two days after 9/11 in a touching tribute to the sister nation.

The move, which was a dramatic change in protocols rarely seen, came during a 45-minute service and saw a staggering 3,000 people - including hundreds of Americans - watch on from outside the towering gates.

Adults and children alike wept through the railings as the band of the Coldstream Guards - wearing their traditional bearskin hats and red uniforms - belted out the song.

Others waved around small US Flags as the anthem came to its crescendo before the crowd passionately cheered as the soldiers continued the Changing of the Guard ceremony.

It was not the only time the Queen reached out after 9/11, with her shedding a tear and singing the Star-Spangled Banner herself during a ceremony she attended at St Paul's Cathedral later that week.

She also visited the World Trade Center site in 2010 - in what was her first visit to New York City since 1976 - and toured the site of the sprawling memorial as it was being finalized.

And she made sure the memory of the nearly 3,000 people murdered by sick al Qaeda terrorists lived on, having played the anthem again on the 20th anniversary of the killings at Windsor Castle.

The Queen ended a tradition that went back to Queen Charlotte, Consort of George III.

Eligible young ladies of nobility would present themselves to the Queen at the beginning of ball season. There would then be a full calendar of balls where the young ladies would hope to meet husbands.  Elizabeth announced that she would no longer preside over such a coming out in 1958.  The tradition continued for another twenty years, more or less.

Princess Margaret said, “Every tart in London was getting in.”

I ran across this. I choked up just a little reading it to Mrs. Doc. 

From Pete Morgan RAF retd.

“I never met HM The Queen, but when I was a staff officer in 2009 I was tasked with reviewing and rewriting the Operation OVERSTUDY plans, which detail how
we would repatriate her body if she died overseas.
The existing plan was for her to be transported back in a BAe 146, a smart business jet operated by 32 The Royal Squadron. However, the repatriation of
Princess Diana in 1997 had not gone smoothly due to difficulties in loading the coffin into the freight bay. Subsequent modifications to the aircraft had made access to the freight bay almost impossible.
With a requirement for the aircraft to be able to land at RAF Northolt, the only 2 options were to use a C130 or C17. The C130 was noisy and would impact the ceremonial aspects of her arrival at RAF Northolt, whereas the C17 was quieter and was, sadly, very familiar with the repatriation role from undertaking the repatriation of Service personnel who had died in Afghanistan.
A dress rehearsal at RAF Northolt proved that it would work, but the impact of changing from a smart-looking business jet to a more utilitarian C17 was fairly significant and so approval from the Palace for the change to our plans was sought.
The response that came back from HM The Queen was: 'If it's good enough for my boys, then it's good enough for me'.
An incredible person who I am proud to have served. RIP Ma'am.”

Archived