SASS Wire Forum

End of an Era, Queen Elizabeth II Has Died

Subdeacon Joe

Australian Parliament has been suspended for 2 weeks an observance until after her funeral and the proclamation of King Charles as the new sovereign.

There will be a national day of mourning. 

A gun salute will begin at approximately 5pm this afternoon, with cannons firing one round every 10 seconds for each of the 96 years of the Queen’s life.

c90cacb8a34827f6b6157a37fc9700057422fd35.webp.baedc2beb584008aa967e29daf7ba14a.webp

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Will King Charles wife Camilla become queen? I read that Queen Elizabeth wanted her to become queen. 
I think there’s some parliamentary procedures before she can become Queen.

No. Not possible. Just like Price Phillip was not the King.

She was, by all accounts, a wonderful monarch.  And as somber as the day is, I like to remember that she also had a "queenly" sense of humor.  One reminder of this was the introduction to the 2012 Olympics:

1 hour ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Australian Parliament has been suspended for 2 weeks an observance until after her funeral and the proclamation of King Charles as the new sovereign.

There will be a national day of mourning. 

A gun salute will begin at approximately 5pm this afternoon, with cannons firing one round every 10 seconds for each of the 96 years of the Queen’s life.

c90cacb8a34827f6b6157a37fc9700057422fd35.webp.baedc2beb584008aa967e29daf7ba14a.webp

Do you by any chance have a link to a YouTube video of that salute?

6 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Will King Charles wife Camilla become queen? I read that Queen Elizabeth wanted her to become queen. 
I think there’s some parliamentary procedures before she can become Queen.

Camilla can't be Queen.  The titles of King and Queen are hereditary.  Camilla married into the family, so she is not eligible to be referred to as "Queen".  Per a recent Declaration by Queen Elizabeth. Camilla is known as "Queen Consort". 

2 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Do you by any chance have a link to a YouTube video of that salute?

It hasnt happened yet

It's just turned 1700 here

A 96 gun salute by the Australian Defence Force will be held to commemorate the life of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II at Australian Parliament House at 5:00 pm, Friday 9 September. Members of the public can watch the salute from the Forecourt of Australian Parliament …

6 hours ago, Doc Shapiro said:

Camilla can't be Queen.  The titles of King and Queen are hereditary.  Camilla married into the family, so she is not eligible to be referred to as "Queen".  Per a recent Declaration by Queen Elizabeth. Camilla is known as "Queen Consort". 

And yet the Queen Mother was referred to as Queen. She was not the Sovereign but its a title.

She will be HRH or Queen in print and will not inherit the Throne. 

6 hours ago, Doc Shapiro said:

Thank you, that’s what I heard I was confused about the Consort addition.

3 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

The long serving monarchs of England/Britain/UK have left their names on history, Elizabethan, Victorian, Georgian. I recall a few names for shorter times, I wonder how this era will be called.

Carolingian.  

There's pictures posted of her shooting a machine gun , she was supposedly pro gun and a real outdoors lady! Too bad she couldn't have done something about their draconian gun laws! I know she had no real power but she could have expressed her opinion as they kept banning guns and coming up with new gun laws! I've never heard a peep about her saying anything! Maybe the media hid it I don't know.

I'm not trying to disrespect her in anyway, may she RIP.

image.thumb.png.4b386b837cbb4376cd1776dc507c0745.png

9 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

The long serving monarchs of England/Britain/UK have left their names on history, Elizabethan, Victorian, Georgian. I recall a few names for shorter times, I wonder how this era will be called.

It'll be significant. When she first sat on the throne Britain was still an empire. Now it's just a commonwealth.

4 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

There's pictures posted of her shooting a machine gun , she was supposedly pro gun and a real outdoors lady! Too bad she couldn't have done something about their draconian gun laws!

The UK had another mass shooting after already passing their Draconian semi-auto and handgun bans. In 2010 in Cumbria a nut shot and killed 12 people, and wounded 11 more using an ordinary hunting shotgun and bolt-action .22 rifle. There was talk of even more gun bans after that, but the idea was quietly squashed. I've heard the Royal Family put in their .02 pence, as they were all avid hunters and a further gun ban could possibly have made hunting all but illegal in the UK.

Interesting timing.  Seven years ago I had posted on FB

23,227 days.

Queen Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God Queen of this Realm and of Her other Realms and Territories, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith.

Hip hip!   ......

Marking Queen Elizabeth II breaking the record set by Queen Victoria.

FB_IMG_1662741142258.jpg

12 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

"Second Elizabethan Era?"  ??  

6 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

"Second Elizabethan Era?"  ??  

AH!  Now I see why you were confused about my "Carolingian" comment above.  I thought he was asking about this post-Elizabeth II era with Charles III as monarch.  

26 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

AH!  Now I see why you were confused about my "Carolingian" comment above.  I thought he was asking about this post-Elizabeth II era with Charles III as monarch.  

I suspect they'll call his era "short." 

Elizabeth was, by all accounts, somewhat small in stature.  But her eldest son has a tremendous challenge trying to fill her shoes.... 

13 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Elizabeth was, by all accounts, somewhat small in stature.  But her eldest son has a tremendous challenge trying to fill her shoes.... 

I think he's up to it.  All those decades of training and example won't be wasted.  I expect him to reign for 15 to 20 years.  He's 73, his dad lived to 99, his mom to 96.

I watched his speech that was played during the memorial service in St. Paul's Cathedral.  That he was able to write, or oversee the writing of, that speech and then deliver it to console a nation a day after his mother's death, and do it without breaking down, says much about his strength.

Oh....the BBC newsreaders are calling it the Second Elizabethan Era.

A Monarchy is a ridiculous tradition when you think about it. It’s inherently racist since it’s only one family’s blood. What makes them better than anyone else on the planet ?? So glad our forefathers got rid of this nonsense ! 

14 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

They "got rid" of it only because George Washington twice refused to be King. 

Actually very few wanted him to be king and I don’t think any of the other founders would have wanted to be king either! They fought hard for us to be a free country and a republic.

2 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

King Charles, will not become a beloved King!  And will NOT be nearly as fine a monarch as his mother.  He cares far more for self and his personal will.

Jabez Cowboy 

2 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

SDJ,

Wasn't that one used by the French already, to describe the ruling period of Charlemange ? I guess it could be Carolingian II

3 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Actually very few wanted him to be king and I don’t think any of the other founders would have wanted to be king either! They fought hard for us to be a free country and a republic.

Show me, I had formidable history teachers. 

5 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

You don’t think he’ll reign for 70 years! I probably agree.

9 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I wonder in how many messes ,clubs, and public houses the first toast will sound something like:

Her-is Majesty, the Quking.

I could tell you about an evening of toasts in a pub with soldiers from Special Forces and the 22nd SAS… but it’s not family friendly. :D

Archived