SASS Wire Forum

End of an Era, Queen Elizabeth II Has Died

Subdeacon Joe

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-61585886

"Queen Elizabeth II's tenure as head of state spanned post-war austerity, the transition from empire to Commonwealth, the end of the Cold War and the UK's entry into - and withdrawal from - the European Union.

Her reign spanned 15 prime ministers starting with Winston Churchill, born in 1874, and including Liz Truss, born 101 years later in 1975, and appointed by the Queen earlier this week.

She held weekly audiences with her prime minister throughout her reign.

At Buckingham Palace in London, crowds awaiting updates on the Queen's condition began crying as they heard of her death. The Union flag on top of the palace was lowered to half-mast at 18:30 BST.

The Queen was born Elizabeth Alexandra Mary Windsor, in Mayfair, London, on 21 April 1926.

Few could have foreseen she would become monarch but in December 1936 her uncle, Edward VIII, abdicated from the throne to marry the twice-divorced American, Wallis Simpson.

Elizabeth's father became King George VI and, at age 10, Lilibet, as she was known in the family, became heir to the throne.

Within three years, Britain was at war with Nazi Germany. Elizabeth and her younger sister, Princess Margaret, spent much of wartime at Windsor Castle after their parents rejected suggestions they be evacuated to Canada.

After turning 18, Elizabeth spent five months with the Auxiliary Territorial Service and learned basic motor mechanic and driving skills. "I began to understand the esprit de corps that flourishes in the face of adversity," she recalled later.

Through the war, she exchanged letters with her third cousin, Philip, Prince of Greece, who was serving in the Royal Navy. Their romance blossomed and the couple married at Westminster Abbey on 20 November 1947, with the prince taking the title of Duke of Edinburgh.

She would later describe him as "my strength and stay" through 74 years of marriage, before his death in 2021, aged 99."

Say what you will about the British monarchy, she was one hell of a woman.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Queen is dead!

Long Live the King!

As a junior officer I had the honour of meeting Her Majesty in 1967, when she presented our regiment with new colours.

The flag outside my home now flies at half staff.

14 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

The Queen is dead!

Long Live the King!

As a junior officer I had the honour of meeting Her Majesty in 1967, when she presented our regiment with new colours.

The flag outside my home now flies at half staff.

I have my four flags at half staff, including one Union Jack

God Save the King

I remember when I was 10 years old and a neighbor lady hired me to clean up her yard.  She paid me the first dollar that I ever made at one time.  It was a King George VI dollar bill.

A comment from Fr. Justin Patterson, St. Athanasius Orthodox Church, Nicholasville Kentucky:

Why might an American and an Orthodox Christian (living in a land that threw off royal rule nearly 250 years ago) be deeply affected by the passing of Queen Elizabeth II, ruler of what is now a tiny island nation? Here's why this moment means a lot to me:  

1). She consistently modeled (however imperfectly) a kind and committed Christian Faith. “I am Christian” has been spoken clearly and faithfully from her lips since she ascended the British throne until her last days. How rare is that?

2). Though ensconced in the most extreme symbols of earthly power and might, in her own person and manner, the queen revealed that her real greatness rested (rather) in her incredible capacity for listening, presence, kindness, consistency, and faithfulness. She exercised a kind of "pastoral" ministry across her lands and throughout the world.

3). Though monarchs traditionally exercise their own “will,” it seems that the life of this queen bears witness to the opposite: that she gave up her will, committing herself to conserving and preserving and safeguarding the best traditions of her people–inconvenient as they might have been to her personally--as they had been passed down to her. She was a woman of duty before God to her country and her people (and the world.)   

4). The traditions of her land have passed over to my life as an American: the English language (which I love,) the British traditions of rule and law, and even the sense of how things ought to work in society--all of these things connect my life in Kentucky and her life in Britain. Her Majesty was a beautiful (though imperfect) symbol of the best of those traditions and I am grateful to God for her steady hand; and for her being an "icon" of service in an unsteady and uncaring world.

As a USAFROTC cadet, I was at summer camp at Richards-Gebaur AFB, Missouri. We on the athletic field at 1630, when Retreat was sounded over the loudspeakers. We, of course, snapped to attention while the bugle call was played, followed by the playing of the National Anthem and then God Save the Queen.  Why the latter? Because Air Defense Command, which was the base we were on was a joint base with Royal Canadian Air Force personnel, and Canada had not yet adopted "Oh, Canada!"

Why should we Americans be saddened by the passing of the monarch of another country, albeit our great and close ally? Because she represented a sense of quiet dignity and continuity that we have not in our country and probably will not see again in the world. We will certainly not see her like again.

Rest In Peace, Queen Elizabeth II. 

I am not a royalist by any stretch, but have the absolute and utmost respect for Her Majesty.  She was a constant standard of service, dedication, dignity, and utter class through 70 years of global change.

I knew this day was coming, but am sad anyway that it is here.

1 hour ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

The months (and maybe years) to follow will be interesting and maybe world shaking.

God bless her and the Brits.  

Long live the king and may God give him guidance.

I doubt much will change. The monarchy has every little actual power in Britain thank goodness.

Anybody know what the procedure is for crowning Prince Chuck the new King? I know there will be a coronation but I would guess that will take some time. Does he assume Kingly duties immediately? Does Parliament have to do anything? The Church?

The only Royal stuff I know comes from Game of Thrones or Monty Python and may be somewhat inaccurate.

He is king now. There is a declaration tomorrow evening, UK time of course. And when Chuck feels that sufficient time has passed, there will be a coronation.

there is speculation about whether the head of Church of England stuff will be part of it.

I imagine the coins, bills and stamps are already being made.

49 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Anybody know what the procedure is for crowning Prince Chuck the new King? I know there will be a coronation but I would guess that will take some time. Does he assume Kingly duties immediately? Does Parliament have to do anything? The Church?

The only Royal stuff I know comes from Game of Thrones or Monty Python and may be somewhat inaccurate.

Charles III is King now and will become Defender of the Faith officially on his Coronation.

I was in school when her Father, King George VI died. Instead of morning prayer followed by singing God Save The King we had a minute silence followed by additional prayers for Her Majesty, then our school custodian, a Vet. shouted Long Live The Queen and we all repeated it at the top of our lungs.

I recall teachers crying, not just the ladies.

Will King Charles wife Camilla become queen? I read that Queen Elizabeth wanted her to become queen. 
I think there’s some parliamentary procedures before she can become Queen.

3 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Will King Charles wife Camilla become queen? I read that Queen Elizabeth wanted her to become queen. 
I think there’s some parliamentary procedures before she can become Queen.

The Duchess of Cornwall has become Queen Consort.

She will not become "Queen".

Archived