SASS Wire Forum

WTC - specifically GF or Duelist cocking pistol after all 5 rounds are expended

Krazy Kajun

Howdy, I have a specific question on what are a shooter's options if they are shooting GF or Duelist and they lost count and after firing all 5 rounds they cock the pistol.  I know if you holster a cocked pistol that has no live rounds in it would be a SDQ.  My question is what are the shooter's options?

1. The shooter could ask the TO if he can decock the pistol and if given permission could do it.  Is there any penalty for that?

2. The shooter could just, without asking the TO permission, pull the trigger with the gun pointed safely downrange and holster the gun.  Rules state you can't decock a gun to avoid a penalty but pulling the trigger is not decocking.  Is there any penalty for that?

3. Is there any other option where the situation could be resolved without the shooter incurring a penalty after accidentally cocking a revolver after all the rounds have been expended?

Kajun

Option 1 will work with no penalty.

Option 2 will work with no penalty. Faster than #1.

Option 3 declare broke gun and set down on the prop.  I’ve done this with a bad cap jam that I couldn’t get de-cocked.

No firearm may be decocked on the firing line to avoid a penalty if cocked at the wrong time, position or location once a round has gone downrange. Once a revolver is cocked, the round must be expended (shot). However, if a round has not gone downrange, and under the direction and supervision of the TO, the revolver may be decocked. This requires a positive indication/acknowledgement from the TO for the shooter to do so.

SHB p.14

Decock – lowering the hammer of a firearm using part of the hand (e.g., thumb) to impede the hammer’s fall.

SHB p.42

5 minutes ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

SHB p.14

SHB p.42

So easy answer is with the revolver safely pointed downrange just pull the trigger and continue on with no penalty.  Thank you, my question has been answered and this thread can be closed.

Kajun

48 minutes ago, Krazy Kajun said:

Howdy, I have a specific question on what are a shooter's options if they are shooting GF or Duelist and they lost count and after firing all 5 rounds they cock the pistol.  I know if you holster a cocked pistol that has no live rounds in it would be a SDQ.  My question is what are the shooter's options?

1. The shooter could ask the TO if he can decock the pistol and if given permission could do it.  Is there any penalty for that?

That is not an option once a round has gone downrange.

2. The shooter could just, without asking the TO permission, pull the trigger with the gun pointed safely downrange and holster the gun.

That is the ONLY option.

Rules state you can't decock a gun to avoid a penalty but pulling the trigger is not decocking.  Is there any penalty for that?

NO.

3. Is there any other option where the situation could be resolved without the shooter incurring a penalty after accidentally cocking a revolver after all the rounds have been expended?

NO.

Kajun

Just now, Krazy Kajun said:

So easy answer is with the revolver safely pointed downrange just pull the trigger and continue on with no penalty.  Thank you, my question has been answered and this thread can be closed.

Kajun

CLOSING

Archived