SASS Wire Forum

Reloading Component availability beginning to look better

High Spade Mikey Wilson

Yesterday I stopped by a LGS to check out the new  expanded reloading section of their shop. I was happy to see that they had a nice selection of CCI & Federal primers on hand in SP, SR, LP, LR. They also had Cheddite 209 shotgun primers at $62.99 a K. Although the powder selection was still on the light side it was a lot better than just 3 months ago. I picked up a thousand Federal SP primers at $89.99 a K, three times more than the last time I bought SP primers, but I guess that is the new norm. At least availability is beginning to look up.

$90/thousand is a good deal today, especially for Federal.  Most times it's $100+.

I hope this is a start of a trend. 

BS

I never thought I would be reloading shotgun shells again.  In the 90’s, when I started reloading, I started slow with a RBBS Rock Chuker for rifle and handgun loads and a used MEC Press for shotgun.  I loved reloading and customizing loads for cowboy, target practice and hunting.  Then Walmart and Dick’s Sporting Goods started having sales on AA Shotgun shells, so it was cheaper and easier to purchase shells then to reload.  I put the MEC on the shelf for almost 15 years.

That seems to have all changed now and I was forced to bring out the MEC and even upgrade to a Hornady APEX Press to start reloading shotgun shells again. I purchased a Hornady LnL AP Press a while ago and use it for everything from 9mm to 45-70, so getting my hands on a used Hornady APEX Shotgun press was only natural.  And yes, I still used the MEC for 2 ½” shells.  I sometimes use an 1887 lever action shotgun and it only works smoothly with 2 1/2” shells.  The MEC has a plate that allows me to reload the shorter shells.
My club shoots trap on Wednesdays and Fridays and since most don’t reload, I have access to a 55-gallon drum of once-used AA and STS hulls.  Shot seems to be easy to get and powder and primers are not an issue.  When I purchased the used APEX, it came with a couple gallon containers of powder and 10,000 CCI primers.  

press.jpeg

15 hours ago, Barry Sloe said:

$90/thousand is a good deal today, especially for Federal.  Most times it's $100+.

I hope this is a start of a trend. 

BS

I've just seen Federal SPP at my LGS in Sydney, Australia for AU$170/1000 which is about US$116/1000 which doesn't seem too bad considering transportation costs etc.

Primers...

We'll doubtful see 1000 for $35 again and a lot of us have just WANTED primers so higher prices have been paid. 2x, 3x even 4 times what cost was just three years ago.

Comparatively however, 2 years ago 9mm ammo was priced at and over $40/box of 50 115 grain FMJ and before that we could buy it all day long for $9.50 for the same box, so a similar price increase. This week though I've seen that same 9mm ammo down to $16/box and the shelves are packed everywhere and online vendors are offering sales and free shipping on it again.

So, there IS a glimmer of hope for primers. :D

Was at a small LGS last week. Kinda off the beaten path. Everything kinda dusty. Not a commercial hot spot for sure. Had some powder out. I asked about primers. He said he had some, (behind the counter. SP, and 209s. Limited to 2 boxes each. $20 

he had 1 brick of CCIs, was selling them one sleeve at a time for $20. I passed!!! 

I suspect the price will settle in around $80 after the Midd-terms 

40 minutes ago, Fox Creek Stitcher said:

We're still having trouble finding shot.

Shooting Fox can fix you up. 

33 minutes ago, Fox Creek Stitcher said:

And where do I search for this elusive Shooting Fox? Google is no help. 

Shootin Fox. Send him a message right here on the sasswire 

ain’t  all y’all FOXes kin?

45 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

CSA Bullets will most likely have 2 liter bottles of shot at SE Regional. 

I got two bags from CSA at Tennessee State. Contact him before the Regional to make sure he has some for you.

Howdy Pard

Hope I’m not being redundant on your existing sources but , if not, an interesting site is RotoMetals.

They advertise both newly cast shot and reclaimed shot.

I’m not a shotgun reloader but I’ve had good results from them buying lead for casting. Have bot Linotype “strips” from them (not always available). Handy size for melting pots and it’s hard (4% tin, 12% antimony, and 84% lead). Lino itself is great for high-velocity and/or hot loads. Very useful for “sweetening” soft lead or range lead to the desired level of hardness.

Also bot “reclaimed” magnum shot from them, which at 95% lead/5% tin, can be cast as is for hard bullets. A mixture of 1 part mag shot to 3 or 4 parts soft lead or range lead has proven very successful for bullets for cowboy loads for 38/40, 44/40, 44 Special, and 45 Colt. 

Their site advertises both “as is” reclaimed shot and reclaimed shot that has been washed and regraphited. My experience has been with the “as is” variety and it was eminently suitable for casting purposes. Even the  “as is” looked as if it could be loaded in shotgun shells.

As an aside, once I bot a box of used Linotype strips and the box they sent me (Bless them) was Monotype. There are various blends of monotype but a common one is 73% lead, 17.5% antimony, and 9.5% tin. 

It’s not so much hard as it is HARD! Research indicated it to be too hard for casting bullets as the bullets would be so brittle as to break when dropped. BUT … still have a mess of it and it is ever so useful to “sweeten” range lead to the desired cowboy hardness.

Sorry for the verbosity and my apology if the info is redundant. Perhaps others might find it to be of some use.

Keep the Sunny side up!

Adios

Fort Reno Kid 

3 hours ago, Fox Creek Stitcher said:

And where do I search for this elusive Shooting Fox? Google is no help. 

@SHOOTIN FOX please give her information about your shot.

I make, use and sell. New #7.5  shot. It is new, screened for size, tumbled and graphited, ready to use. I ship #65 for $150, thank the USPS for the rate, with shipping and insurance to your door. If I am at a match, I sell for $45 for #25 prices have gone up up slightly due to supply issues. Previous orders will be filled at the agreed price. You can PM me here and I will  respond with my regular email and phone number.

Thanks,

Fox

21 hours ago, Lunger Dan said:

Local gun store

Thanks, Lunger! That'll have to be my dumb question for the month (week?).

• 2 weeks later...

Archived